• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

It's "nothing" to learn alil first aid, especially in a "slight" emergency that Mark had, though there's always "what-if", there wasn't ANY personnel there to dress the wound, or worse, if the roofing had hit a major vein/artery, He would of "bled-out", Or at the least, lost quiet a bit of blood. Do yourself a favor, For you & your fellow chasers, try to learn some primary first aid, It very well could come to use among other situations, NOT just chasing, even though You and your fellow chaser did manage to possibly save a few lives on this go around.. Maybe even where you live, say If first responders are not there yet, (such as a accident etc), In addition I encourage everyone here to at least Learn a few tips, It could save your, or someone's Life..  

I'll supply a few links to get ya'll started..

http://www.firstaidtechniques.com/First_Aid_Kit_Tips.html

Basic first aid Manual--> (PDF) http://www.google.com/url?

sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&ved=0CJgBEBYwCQ&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.redruppublications.com%2Fapp%2Fdownload%2F5792324790%2FBasic%2BFirst%2BAid%2B%2BManual%2BSample.pdf&ei=C5ScUviVBaOzsAT1rYGwDQ&usg=AFQjCNFvNPYLx7R0i-n8H6sLbK1IWEWHaQ&sig2=7FhrVXAmL3uN1-9W7L5R2Q&bvm=bv.57155469,d.cWc

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/safetyInfo/osh/prop/firstaid.html

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/98/First_Aid.pdf (PDF)

Hope this gets you, (and everyone else) started...

If I hadn't mentioned it, Or you missed it..

Great Job on your chase, Great Job on getting the Data ya'll did get, In addition to helping the people in Duress.. I think that should of the Major primary focus in the news reports that you were interview in, this would of made a much better Chase story, IMOP..   Maybe Next year I get to met you on a East Coast chase... Sincerely CT..

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree, CT. Anyone who does any form of chasing or spotting would be very well-served with at least some basic first aid training and supplies. You never know, and it's always better to be prepared and not need it than the reverse. And, as you mentioned, it's something that's extremely useful in everyday life as well. You never know when you may find yourself in a situation in which some basic first aid knowledge could come in handy.

Anyhow, fantastic stuff as always Josh. You're gonna have a tough time topping this experience.  :D

Josh, have you ever thought about bringing along portable pressure probes (a la Tim Samaras) on your WPAC expeditions?

Having probes carefully placed along Haiyan's expected path (i.e. south of Tacloban) would have been incredibly useful in determining Haiyan's minimum pressure at its second landfall. Obviously it is too late now, but in the future I could see this being very useful in the WPAC. We see the strongest storms in this region but have no way of confirming them (no recon and poor ground obs).

Josh, have you ever thought about bringing along portable pressure probes (a la Tim Samaras) on your WPAC expeditions?

Having probes carefully placed along Haiyan's expected path (i.e. south of Tacloban) would have been incredibly useful in determining Haiyan's minimum pressure at its second landfall. Obviously it is too late now, but in the future I could see this being very useful in the WPAC. We see the strongest storms in this region but have no way of confirming them (no recon and poor ground obs).

Hey, it's funny you ask that, because I was thinking something along those lines.

We knew the night before that the cyclone's center was going to cross a tad S of us. If it hadn't been a nuclear-grade Cat 5, I would have just relocated a few miles S and punched the eye. I so wanted to get into that center with a calibrated instrument and collect my own data-- to get real ground truth.  I just craved it.  But the towns near the landfall point were rather small and just didn't seem quite solid enough for a cyclone of that severity-- and while I'm an aggressive chaser, I'm not suicidal.

But, yes, it would have been extremely cool to deploy a series of devices-- perhaps spaced every 2 mi over a 10- or 15-mi stretch of coast-- the day before the cyclone crossed.  The combined data would have been mega-awesome.  We'd have a solid, high-res portrait of Haiyan's inner core-- the depth, the gradient, the size,... omg.  

The only thing I can't figure out is how we would have recovered the devices afterward.  The N-S coastal road was not passable and probably wasn't for well over a week. (Lord knows if it even is now.) So I'd need to figure out that aspect of the puzzle.

But, yeah, I totally agree that that would have been awesome to do that in Haiyan.  It's a shame we have so little data from this incredible landfall.

Hey, it's funny you ask that, because I was thinking something along those lines.

We knew the night before that the cyclone's center was going to cross a tad S of us. If it hadn't been a nuclear-grade Cat 5, I would have just relocated a few miles S and punched the eye. I so wanted to get into that center with a calibrated instrument and collect my own data-- to get real ground truth.  I just craved it.  But the towns near the landfall point were rather small and just didn't seem quite solid enough for a cyclone of that severity-- and while I'm an aggressive chaser, I'm not suicidal.

But, yes, it would have been extremely cool to deploy a series of devices-- perhaps spaced every 2 mi over a 10- or 15-mi stretch of coast-- the day before the cyclone crossed.  The combined data would have been mega-awesome.  We'd have a solid, high-res portrait of Haiyan's inner core-- the depth, the gradient, the size,... omg.  

The only thing I can't figure out is how we would have recovered the devices afterward.  The N-S coastal road was not passable and probably wasn't for well over a week. (Lord knows if it even is now.) So I'd need to figure out that aspect of the puzzle.

But, yeah, I totally agree that that would have been awesome to do that in Haiyan.  It's a shame we have so little data from this incredible landfall.

Yes...agree with everything. I was thinking the same thing with the probes. It would have been cool to have a series of probes in attempt to measure the minimum pressure as well as the pressure field/gradient. As you said though, it would've been near impossible to retrieve the probes.

Also, I'm glad you stayed in Tacloban. My mom is Filipino and has been to Tacloban and driven on that very road south from Tacloban. From what I've heard about the living conditions and infrastructure (or lack thereof) in the region, it would've been unwise to try and ride out the storm anywhere but the city of Tacloban. Lots of shacks, huts, and other poorly built structures.

Thanks, Ian!  I was so glad how the piece came out.  The questions were good, the intro is powerful, and I love the selection of images and layout.  It's a great piece!

The winds from 7:12 to 7:30 rank up there with the most severe ever filmed IMO for a tropical cyclone....the portion where u had to retreat a bit towards the end was especially dramatic.

So the question is, are you still going to chase?  I mean itll be hard to top that lol

If I hadn't mentioned it, Or you missed it..

Great Job on your chase, Great Job on getting the Data ya'll did get, In addition to helping the people in Duress.. I think that should of the Major primary focus in the news reports that you were interview in, this would of made a much better Chase story, IMOP..   Maybe Next year I get to met you on a East Coast chase... Sincerely CT..

Hey, thanks, CT!!  I agree, the rescue part of the story is really compelling, and it was the focus of a lot of the interviews.  We're still getting thank-you notes from Filipinos-- especially family members of people we rescued!  They're incredibly gracious people.

It would be awesome to meet you at some point on the East Coast.   :)

P.S.  I am going to take your advice about the First Aid thing!

Anyhow, fantastic stuff as always Josh. You're gonna have a tough time topping this experience.  :D

Thank you-- and agreed.  I was thinking about that the other day. Like, chase-wise, where do I go from here?  Haiyan changes things a little.

Speaking of height of storm, Josh did you get my email about a week and a half ago? It had a .zip file with a ton of radar pics in there for you.

I did and I haven't looked through it yet!  Incredibly rude of me, especially since it's stuff I asked for-- I've just been so nuts.  Do you forgive me?   :)

Josh, Wow! That was a superb, taut video I think all of us will remember. I put your video here with the Hurricane Charley video of the gas station being torn apart the two most extreme videos of a tropical cyclone ever.

Omg. I know the Charley video you're talking about, and whoa, I'm really honored that you put my video up there with that one.  I take it as an enormous compliment. Thank you-- I'm so glad you dug the video.

The winds from 7:12 to 7:30 rank up there with the most severe ever filmed IMO for a tropical cyclone....the portion where u had to retreat a bit towards the end was especially dramatic.

So the question is, are you still going to chase?  I mean itll be hard to top that lol

Wow, THANK YOU.  That is basically the biggest compliment you can give this footage.  I'm thrilled that the scariness of those winds comes through in the video.  And Re: that moment when I had to retreat: I know exactly which part you're talking about-- at 7:25 am.  I actually ducked down during that moment and was dragging myself, on my azz, along the floor balcony while holding the camera above the rail.  I wasn't actually looking through the videocam at that moment, so I had no idea what I was even shooting-- I was just trying to protect myself.

YES, I am still going to chase. :)  It;s a good question-- my mother asked it as well-- but, yes, I will continue to chase.  It is going to be hard to top this, but my fascination with hurricanes remains as strong as ever, and I don't need another Cat 5 to be wowed.

Anyhoo, thanks again for this terrific compliment Re: my video-- it really means a lot to me.

Hey Josh. Fantastic video!

Based on all of the collective footage I've seen thus far, I would subjectively estimate those peak wind gusts to be closer to the 150 mph range (from my initial estimate of 140-150 mph). The combination of those extreme winds and the catastrophic storm surge make your footage some of the best, and most dramatic, captured to date. It's just so heart-wrenching and incredibly sad that so many lives were lost, and so many others are left suffering immensely, as a result of those devastating conditions.

Although I have read numerous comments suggesting you might have difficulty topping this event, I respectfully disagree with that assumption-at least from a meteorological perspective. Why do I say this?

Most significantly, the simple fact that you are both willing and able to make future intercepts anywhere throughout the North Atlantic, Eastern Pacific, and Western Pacific basins, will present you with a lot more potential chase subjects, so to speak. With that in mind, you would only need to get within the RMW of a solid category four TC to experience wind gusts up to, or even exceeding, 150 mph. Of course, this is still a relatively rare event, and by no means am I suggesting it will be easy. That said, I must admit that I would be somewhat surprised if you didn't have another opportunity to experience these type of winds within the next few years, if not sooner.

However, when one takes into consideration the totality of this historic and catastrophic event, I too would agree that you might very well have a difficult time topping this particular TC intercept. Regardless, no one can deny that you did an exceptional job capturing this extreme event!

Hey Josh. Fantastic video!

Based on all of the collective footage I've seen thus far, I would subjectively estimate those peak wind gusts to be closer to the 150 mph range (from my initial estimate of 140-150 mph). The combination of those extreme winds and the catastrophic storm surge make your footage some of the best, and most dramatic, captured to date. It's just so heart-wrenching and incredibly sad that so many lives were lost, and so many others are left suffering immensely, as a result of those devastating conditions.

Although I have read numerous comments suggesting you might have difficulty topping this event, I respectfully disagree with that assumption-at least from a meteorological perspective. Why do I say this?

Most significantly, the simple fact that you are both willing and able to make future intercepts anywhere throughout the North Atlantic, Eastern Pacific, and Western Pacific basins, will present you with a lot more potential chase subjects, so to speak. With that in mind, you would only need to get within the RMW of a solid category four TC to experience wind gusts up to, or even exceeding, 150 mph. Of course, this is still a relatively rare event, and by no means am I suggesting it will be easy. That said, I must admit that I would be somewhat surprised if you didn't have another opportunity to experience these type of winds within the next few years, if not sooner.

However, when one takes into consideration the totality of this historic and catastrophic event, I too would agree that you might very well have a difficult time topping this particular TC intercept. Regardless, no one can deny that you did an exceptional job capturing this extreme event!

Hey, Tony-- I missed this post, for some reason.  Anyhoo, thank you-- I really appreciate it.  I agree with what you said-- that I could at some point possibly top these winds if I really squarely punch another super typhoon, but it's going to be hard for me to top this as an overall chase experience.

Anyhoo, thank you again for these kinds words about my video-- I genuinely appreciate it. :)

Switching off Haiyan/Yolanda for a minute... Here's the video teaser from our Typhoon DANAS chase. This small, severe, Category-4 cyclone raked the north tip of Okinawa Island in October. One of the cool details to notice: we briefly get through the inner eyewall and into the eye, where we experience a 5-minute lull and an almost instantaneous reversal in wind direction. Kinda cool:

Switching off Haiyan/Yolanda for a minute... Here's the video teaser from our Typhoon DANAS chase. This small, severe, Category-4 cyclone raked the north tip of Okinawa Island in October. One of the cool details to notice: we briefly get through the inner eyewall and into the eye, where we experience a 5-minute lull and an almost instantaneous reversal in wind direction. Kinda cool:

Josh,

Congratulations on one hell of a chase season! You and your compadres set some kind of record for the Pacific. Perhaps we need a Storm Chaser Hall of Fame. In a sports perspective, your chase season was like Joe DiMaggio's 56-game hitting streak; Ted Williams batting .406; Peyton Manning throwing however many more touchdown passes he's going to throw this year. In any other year, the Danas intercept would have made for a top chase season on its own merits. Perhaps one of these days, you'll pull off that kind of success during a hyper-active season in the Atlantic basin. Three or four powerful Caribbean cruisers in the same year? Again, congratulations. You work hard and it obviously pays off. It takes a little luck, but you've got to be prepared and have access to the resources you do. Keep up the great work!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived