• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

Now, regarding the footage captured; very impressive! Hard to determine just how high those winds might be? I'm guessing the peak gusts were at least 115 kt (135 mph). I'd even suggest somewhere between 140-150 mph!

I base this best guess on my own experience in wind gusts of 130 mph, and the "Charley" gas station video taken by Mike Thesis. These winds weren't quite as intense as those in the Charley video, but it appears they are certainly exceeding the 130 mph I recorded in Katrina, best I can surmise.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks, Steve.  I really like this piece-- it captures the weird scariness of what was going down in our hotel-- with the howling, the windows smashing, the water rising, the people praying, etc.

Thanks, Steve.  I really like this piece-- it captures the weird scariness of what was going down in our hotel-- with the howling, the windows smashing, the water rising, the people praying, etc.

You gotta come to DC so I can give you a big Hug and I mean it.  Please let me have your date of arrival.

I moved the chasing debate posts here: http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/40397-storm-chasing-and-media-coverage-ethics/

The chasing debate is valid for discussion, and I don't mean to diminish their importance.  I'd just rather keep this thread solely as a recap for the chase, as I'm sure this will be a valuable resource for a long time to come.

Thanks.

Given the severity of the storm, some of the casualty reports are remarkably low outside of Tacloban city. It shows that the major killer in such a storm is the surge, but even so, I suspect that 30-40 deaths in Guiuan if verified would have to be partly due to decisions about where to shelter, and also to the fact that the local construction, while flimsy by our standards, has the advantage of just falling apart rather than crushing trapped inhabitants (in a lot of cases, obviously this won't apply universally).

Have been checking into the fate of residents on offshore islands in eastern Samar. First thing learned is that Google Earth has an error, the island it shows as "Homonhon" is actually Suluan -- the real Homonhon is a larger island to the west-south-west. In any case, all I could find was one report of no contact since the storm, and concern about the fate of what would appear to be several hundred on that island (and also presumbaly Suluan for which no specific information came up in my search). I've read here and elsewhere of major damage on nearby Manicani island. There was also a report of near-total devastation on Malapascua Island which is a scuba-diving resort destination north of Cebu (island). People survived there by riding out the storm in a concrete bunker.

In general it sounds like relatively moderate tolls of 30-50 deaths in each of western Leyte, north Cebu and north Negros which is part of Negros Occidentale, and also on Panay, and on largely devastated Bantayan Island. A more subdued damage and death report was issued from Coron in northern Palawan.

Tacloban City and Basey appear to have the majority of the casualties but there must have been a severe toll in Palo and Tanuaun to the south of there as this is where the eye made landfall. A report from Ormoc City in western Leyte, under the eye on radar, states that damage is worse than an event in 1991 when flooding killed 8,000 people there but death toll is estimated at only 35.

All of this seems quite uncertain to me, not sure who could say with much authority a few days into this recovery how many people survived, how many are missing, how many swept out to sea, etc. Death toll could end up anywhere from 5,000 to 25,000. Although obviously a high-end cat-5 at some point around landfall, most of the later intensity seems fairly consistent with cat-4 hurricanes making landfall -- a lot of roofs blown off structures further into the country, not that many walls blown down, seems more typical of cat-4 than cat-5. There may have been a strong cat-5 landfall near Guiuan, borderline 4/5 at Palo, weakening to around cat-3 over Leyte, back up to cat-4/5 borderline near Malapascua, then cat-4 in Panay and cat-3/4 borderline in north Palawan. We'll see what investigators with more data say after their review, that's my very sketchy guess as to what actually happened.

Hoping that we do get reliable data somehow from Guiuan, there was one report of a hand-held instrument reading 899 mbs, any further word on this, or just one of those rumours?

Well given Josh's facebook post on their pressure observations and what he said in the interview when asked, it looks like 950's-960 may be what he measured. If the Guiuan measured 899 or these both would support the JTWC estimate of 895 mb or so, with the storm filling a bit as it made its closest approach to Josh (Central pressure may have been in the lower 900's by then).

Well given Josh's facebook post on their pressure observations and what he said in the interview when asked, it looks like 950's-960 may be what he measured. If the Guiuan measured 899 or these both would support the JTWC estimate of 895 mb or so, with the storm filling a bit as it made its closest approach to Josh (Central pressure may have been in the lower 900's by then).

Where have you seen the report from Guiuan of 899mb? Or is that just an extrapolation? I've been seeing numbers all over the board but nothing has be accompanied by actual measurements other than what the we can infer from satellite measurements, like Dvorak Ts.

Where have you seen the report from Guiuan of 899mb? Or is that just an extrapolation? I've been seeing numbers all over the board but nothing has be accompanied by actual measurements other than what the we can infer from satellite measurements, like Dvorak Ts.

There was someone here saying a report came from there from a handheld device. I was implying if that is true. But either way Josh didn't measure a pressure under 950 if you go by his facebook comments thread with his pressure trace teaser photo. The airport made 955 or so in its last reading. So assuming there was even a 30-40 mb drop from the eyewall to the center of the eye that still puts the pressure at 910-920 mb or so. I believe Charley (a tightly compact cyclone) had a 38 mb difference or so (but someone can correct me if I am wrong on that).

There was someone here saying a report came from there from a handheld device. I was implying if that is true.

Okay, that's what I figured. The number I keep seeing/hearing is 858mb but looking at a Dvorak scale shows that is the assumed minimum central pressure for a reading of 8.0. I think it would be awesome to see a world record minimum pressure but without a confirmed in-situ measurement I think it's foolish to assume that was the pressure reached based upon the data we already have.

Archived