Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the lvl of surge at Josh's location it would seem anyone who didn't leave close to the water is gone. Probably 10k+.. maybe many more.

I would agree. As with large natural disasters the death toll one or two days out increases by 10 fold. Looking at those shanty towns along the coast it will take weeks to get a real death toll. I am sure many, many poor fishing villages along the coast where the construction is the poorest are just gone with a 25 foot surge.

Was reading about the effects of the storm on the other islands to the west that got hit directly by the storm, obviously the situation is not nearby as dire as where initial landfall occurred, but appears 80-90% of structures were damaged in places like northern Cebu, Capiz, etc. where the eye/center passed over. I would imagine those islands are better protected from very strong typhoons usually due to the eastern islands weakening storms. but this storm was so strong combined with rapid movement likely hit those areas with  unprecedented amount of wind damage.

Looking at that video, there's no way Tacloban City experienced category five winds. Those are very poorly constructed buildings that are still standing. In category five winds, we should be seeing the complete demolition of virtually all those buildings, as we saw in Homestead after Andrew. Keeping in mind, the buildings completely destroyed in Andrew were much more structurally superior to what's seen in this video.

It appears that the frictional effects of land, both from the N eye wall continually scraping Samar Island from the point of it's initial landfall and the directional flow of wind into the City, made a pretty significant difference in the highest winds they encountered. I say this from the perspective that many more lives might've been lost if the winds had achieved an even greater intensity there.

That said, those are still some very impressive wind gusts recorded in James' footage! To me, it's the catastrophic category five storm surge that I find most astonishing. The magnitude of which is clearly seen in the damage it caused there. All said, it's certainly excellent footage from a Meteorological perspective, but an extremely heart-wrenching one on an emotional level. My heart truly goes out for those who are suffering so severely in the aftermath of this phenomenal Typhoon!

Just curious, does anyone know where the barometer reading was being recorded from in Tacloban City? I could be mistaken but I thought I read a report of an official station located in the City.

Edit: If so, there should be at least three barometer readings recorded in Tacloban City (including those of Josh and Jim Edds). Very interested in the meteorological data. Although, its importance is far less significant than the search and rescue efforts ongoing in these devastated Communities.

As far as I'm concerned, we need more experienced/professional chasers with cameras and scientific instruments setting up shop in places like Tacloban and Guiuan, not fewer.

If a drone program was set up to record data from most stages of a cyclone's lifecycle, and also provide pictures and video, would cyclone chasing still be necessary? Because I think the technology is heading that way fairly quickly.

It is a real shame this thing was not sampled extensively. I'd pay blood to know the minimum pressure.

Bopha last year left damage that would support its landfall estimated intensity, vegetation was basically shredded/flattened and nearly every building in Cateel and surrounding areas was severely damaged or destroyed.

Somewhat off topic but in keeping with some of the VIIRS IR and Vis shots of this storm:  Here's a VIIRS nighttime Lunar Reflectivity shot of Bopha when it was near peak.  

http://rammb.cira.colostate.edu/projects/npp/20121203_171115_npp_viirs_Lunar-Ref-IR_26WBOPHA_covg100p00.jpg

That's not daytime, it's nighttime.  Incredible.  I'll have to go see if there are any for Haiyan in the library.

If a drone program was set up to record data from most stages of a cyclone's lifecycle, and also provide pictures and video, would cyclone chasing still be necessary? Because I think the technology is heading that way fairly quickly.

It is a real shame this thing was not sampled extensively. I'd pay blood to know the minimum pressure.

Point data near landfall is better than no data but recon is needed. I agree eventually we'll get there via unmanned vehicles but maybe not fast enough given the fiscal environment and such.

I would be cautious in to what we label as "looting" as well. I think most people will be looking for food, water, and medicine. It is a survival situation, as far as I'm concerned there is nothing wrong with grabbing a bottle of water and something to eat in that scenario. I don't think too many where grabbing tv's etc.

try this 

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/RPVA

http://weather.gladstonefamily.net/site/RPVA?tile=10;showall=1

ftp://ftp.wmo.int/wmo-ddbs/VolA_New/Pub9volA131105x.flatfile

Just curious, does anyone know where the barometer reading was being recorded from in Tacloban City? I could be mistaken but I thought I read a report of an official station located in the City.

Edit: If so, there should be at least three barometer readings recorded in Tacloban City (including those of Josh and Jim Edds). Very interested in the meteorological data. Although, its importance is far less significant than the search and rescue efforts ongoing in these devastated Communities.

Archived