• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

:lol:

Perhaps he doesn't realize that "100 year" only applies to a certain place? There are going to be dozens of 100 year storms every year all over the globe.

It was so blatant how they went into that segment with a complete global warming agenda..These Clown News Networks do absolutely nothing for the science of climate change and really just hurt it. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard on TV that the government in Manila hasn't had any communication with an entire province (assuming the one where the storm came in) since it hit. Don't get too excited yet.

I find that hard to believe since there has been a pretty solid amount of video coming from that province... some video with actual reporters... unless I'm missing something.  Either way, I agree... we probably won't know the full extent of the death toll for some time.

I find that hard to believe since there has been a pretty solid amount of video coming from that province... some video with actual reporters... unless I'm missing something.  Either way, I agree... we probably won't know the full extent of the death toll for some time.

That province is Samar....haven't heard any reports from there and all communication lines were lost to the island. Guiuan, where the first landfall was, has 47k people and no one has heard anything.

That province is Samar....haven't heard any reports from there and all communication lines were lost to the island. Guiuan, where the first landfall was, has 47k people and no one has heard anything.

Ahh... I thought we were referring to Leyte.  I was irresponsibly not thinking of the first landfall.

Judging from the radar loop, the southern eyewall looked stronger, but that may have been because the northern eyewall went over that first island (Guiuan?). So Tacloban was probably fortunate in that respect.

I brought this up yesterday before landfall - the northern eyewall had to pass over southern Samar, which has numerous hills some of which to over 2000 ft, before reaching Tacloban.  Hard to judge just how big a difference it made, but I'm sure it made a difference. 

I am wondering if 190 mph did occur anywhere, did someone get it on camera? I believe they would be the fastest winds ever filmed (not including tornadoes of course). The gas station footage from Charley is definitely about as strong as I have ever seen in a video so far.

I am wondering if 190 mph did occur anywhere, did someone get it on camera? I believe they would be the fastest winds ever filmed (not including tornadoes of course). The gas station footage from Charley is definitely about as strong as I have ever seen in a video so far.

It's pretty unusual even for US landfalls for anyone to record winds that recon gets.  I'd imagine that type of wind would leave some sort of physical evidence though... 

Its probably going to be a while longer before we hear from the chasers, as communications are still completely down in the area. Today I imagine aircraft will at least be in the air to get a handle on extent of the damage. Access to the city via land is probably difficult if not impossible right now based on looking on Google Maps. The news crew that got out of Tacloban had to walk 6 hours on foot to get out of there.

One thing with big hurricanes, almost always the initial reports are that things aren't near as bad as feared. Happened with Katrina, happened with Andrew. Have to wait to find out more. 

Exactly. I kind of rolled my eyes at the AP headline: "...but nation appears to avoid major disaster." Inside the article is this sentence: "Because of cut-off communications in the Philippines, it was impossible to know the full extent of casualties and damage."  Huh? Why make a guess about the level of disaster if there's no news yet from hardest hit areas? 

Its probably going to be a while longer before we hear from the chasers, as communications are still completely down in the area. Today I imagine aircraft will at least be in the air to get a handle on extent of the damage. Access to the city via land is probably difficult if not impossible right now based on looking on Google Maps. The news crew that got out of Tacloban had to walk 6 hours on foot to get out of there.

My question is why the chasers haven't done the same thing and found that news crew or another one, and why the chasers with their considerable financial resources (well, I know at least one of them is loaded) didn't have a satellite communications option packed with them.

Exactly. I kind of rolled my eyes at the AP headline: "...but nation appears to avoid major disaster." Inside the article is this sentence: "Because of cut-off communications in the Philippines, it was impossible to know the full extent of casualties and damage."  Huh? Why make a guess about the level of disaster if there's no news yet from hardest hit areas? 

I am having a really hard time believing this wasn't a "major disaster."  Maybe the forward speed was high enough to avoid excessive rainfall and maybe, for the sake of conversation, the geography of the area somehow reduced the storm surge impact.  And the wind radius, who knows how far out the most damaging winds reached.  But it was a 195 mph storm at some point and the satellite presentation wasn't degrading much.  So... it broke some stuff.

It's pretty unusual even for US landfalls for anyone to record winds that recon gets.  I'd imagine that type of wind would leave some sort of physical evidence though... 

Bopha last year left damage that would support its landfall estimated intensity, vegetation was basically shredded/flattened and nearly every building in Cateel and surrounding areas was severely damaged or destroyed.

https://twitter.com/raffsantos

First c130 set to fly out with rescue equipment, personnel, and telecom technicians. If all goes well, they should be in Tacloban midday.

AFP (Philippine armed forces) says no contact since yesterday with units in Tacloban as communication lines still down. Will fly recon missions if weather permits.

Air Force flying in rescue relief equipment bound for Leyte, but not sure if they can land in Tacloban today as runway there is flooded.

Plan B is for 2 C130's to fly to Mactan in Cebu, then transport the equipment and personnel via chopper to Tacloban.

My question is why the chasers haven't done the same thing and found that news crew or another one, and why the chasers with their considerable financial resources (well, I know at least one of them is loaded) didn't have a satellite communications option packed with them.

Satellite communications still require power.

...and if conditions got so bad that they had to ditch their equipment in favor of their lives then it doesn't matter anyways.

Satellite communications still require power.

...and if conditions got so bad that they had to ditch their equipment in favor of their lives then it doesn't matter anyways.

That's a valid argument but in today's day and age you can have several days worth of power and a sat phone in a small bag.  I know a team of fellows that followed the Amazon River from its source to the sea using BGANs and other devices for months.  I would also say that if you're in a survival situation, you should always have a go bag on your back and ready to go. 

If someone went into that situation knowing what was going to happen, having communications and spare battery power could be really helpful to rescue agencies to help get the word out.

When I last chatted with Josh about 30 min before the eye made landfall to the S, I half ass joked with him that we would talk again in a couple of days. Not surprised at all that we haven't heard from him yet or the other group that was in Tacloban. This isn't an issue of not having 'satellite communications.'

CNN had one of their reporters doing a live feed up to near the time of landfall and one of the last segments he mentioned that there was a group of chasers there (you could hear one off camera yelling out the estimated gusts) - It looked like the exterior of the hotel that they had moved to. Could have been the other group... There was also a crew from ABS/CBN that was in downtown Tacloban doing a live segment prior to landfall and they and had to move back into the hotel (2nd floor) as the surge moved in. They estimated it was about 10 ft at that time. It's likely Josh got some great surge footage.

I'd guess we will hear from someone in the next 12-24 hrs as resources arrive.

Hurricane Camille had estimated winds of 190 MPH at landfall and everything was gone in the narrow eye wall.  I have a feeling we might be seeing the same type of destruction on a much larger scale. 

I believe reanalysis suggests Camille's maximum sustained winds were probably somewhere around 150 mph at landfall. I also don't think the swath of Haiyan's most intense wind damage will be especially wide. I do think we're going to see some very significant wind damage in some places (Guiuan?)

Archived