• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

I believe reanalysis suggests Camille's maximum sustained winds were probably somewhere around 150 mph at landfall. I also don't think the swath of Haiyan's most intense wind damage will be especially wide. I do think we're going to see some very significant wind damage in some places (Guiuan?)

There is going to be extensive wind and surge damage. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I believe reanalysis suggests Camille's maximum sustained winds were probably somewhere around 150 mph at landfall. I also don't think the swath of Haiyan's most intense wind damage will be especially wide. I do think we're going to see some very significant wind damage in some places (Guiuan?)

The reanalysis has not been completed on Camille. It is currently listed as the strongest hurricane to make U.S. landfall (the Labor Day hurricane of 1935 was revised to 185 mph at landfall).

http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/data_sub/reanalysis_archive.html

One thing that also has to be taken into consideration when contemplating the amount of wind damage that's occurred is the fact that many, if not most, of the buildings in the region are very poorly constructed. It's not as if there is a genuine 1 to 1 ratio on the building integrity between these structures and the typical ones we have in our coastal counties.

For example, a category three Typhoon will cause exponentially much more wind damage there, than an equivalent strength hurricane would here. The point being is that it's far more dangerous for the residents in these porous areas,than essentially anywhere in the U.S.

The same principle applies when trying to make an accurate assessment of just how intense the winds were, in a specific area, based simply on the amount of structural damage to buildings in these areas, as well.

Something I was thinking regarding the surge, all the videos we saw ended before the eye made landfall, winds would switched direction from E to SE soon after landfall pushing a higher surge into the channel and hence into the city. Somewhat comparable to what happened in NYC with Sandy, where the winds shifted following landfall in NJ rapidly pushing the surge in at that time.

Just trying to envision what it would have been like for Josh there at it's peak. Don't like the visions that are coming to me.

I wonder if Josh met up with these two while there... hope all of them are okay

Capital Weather Gang @capitalweather 22m

Nothing from him or @typhoonfury in more than 24 hrs. Hoping they're ok. MT @ksrgatorfn: any word on the status of @ExtremeStorms ?

Reporter on CNN now has just arrived in Tacloban. She says every tree is either toppled or broken at the trunk, with the bark stripped off. The airport is completely gone, except for the runway. She has seen a couple of dead bodies, but also many people walking around looking for food and water.

bark stripping F4 winds

Just trying to envision what it would have been like for Josh there at it's peak. Don't like the visions that are coming to me.

This is going to be a scar one way or another. I really hope he is OK.  Edds looked like he was too close to the water to me given the pics he posted on Twitter but I ran from El Reno when it was in front of me so I dunno.

I don't know about the whole Tacloban being gone reports. We had images posted on Twitter from Tacloban during the event. I think it's entirely conceivable parts of the coastline got entirely wiped out by the surge, where the incident angle of winds was favorable to drive a surge far inland. But probably not the entire city.

That said, given these reports, it's slightly concerning that we haven't heard from Josh, Edds, et al. and that CNN crew there, now that the storm is 24 hours past. Hope they are okay.

Archived