Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Comparing to other maps, it looks like the dot for Tacloban City is too far to the north on this one

Good day all,

With the 195 MPH winds on the inner-edge of that eye - Maybe these chasers will not get the worst of it.

Consider that little southern 'wobble' a saving grace for them.

Tanauan is a different story...

Good day all,

With the 195 MPH winds on the inner-edge of that eye - Maybe these chasers will not get the worst of it.

I imagine the 195 was on the northeastern inner edge of the eyewall as it approached Guiuan.

Good day all,

Yeah, it definitely looks like that wobble led to a slightly less direct hit than it appeared they would take at first. 

post-207-0-31198400-1383875691_thumb.jpg

post-207-0-58573100-1383876958_thumb.jpg

Wishing you the best, Josh and co.!  I had a friend on facebook say that this was comparable/possibly more impressive compared to how Andrew and Katrina looked at max strength.... I had to agree.  

I hope you are all safe and sound.  Most, of all, enjoy!  Life is short, and you are all enjoying it as it should be, to the fullest!   :)  

haiyan 4.jpg

buzz_saw_cam01.jpg50793541-36c8-4ac4-acb

Wishing you the best, Josh and co.! I had a friend on facebook say that this paled in comparison to how Andrew and Katrina looked at max strength in comparison.... I had to agree.

I hope you are all safe and sound. Most, of all, enjoy! Life is short, and you are all enjoying it as it should be, to the fullest! :)

Not sure it pales in comparison.

Not sure it pales in comparison.

I think he/she meant the other way around. This looks better than almost any TC I've ever seen, except Cyclone Monica. I don't know what the eye temperature or exact temperature of the ring of cold cloud tops were on her however. I consider Hurricane Katrina to be my personal favorite appearance of any tropical cyclone despite it not looking/being as "powerful."

Hope Josh and others are capturing history here. Good luck.

LOL it's fine, I just didn't see how your friend thought Andrew and Katrina looked so much better at max strength.

No worries, my friend isn't exactly familiar with satellite imagery of tropical cyclones.  Personally, I don't think it (being Katrina/Andrew) "pales", but they are comparable, and dare I say, this typhoon is more impressive (by a degree, not like out of this world better, but very impressive nonetheless). 

Edit:  what previous poster said, I think you interpreted the other way around. To your credit, I definitely didn't word it the way I meant the first time around.  Typos. lol.

Archived