iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

WDPN33 PGTW 072100
MSGID/GENADMIN/JOINT TYPHOON WRNCEN PEARL HARBOR HI//
SUBJ/PROGNOSTIC REASONING FOR SUPER TYPHOON 31W (HAIYAN) WARNING NR
19//
RMKS/
1. FOR METEOROLOGISTS.
2. 6 HOUR SUMMARY AND ANALYSIS.
SUPER TYPHOON 31W (HAIYAN), LOCATED APPROXIMATELY 425 NM SOUTHEAST OF MANILA, PHILIPPINES, HAS TRACKED WESTWARD AT 21 KNOTS OVER THE PAST SIX HOURS. ANIMATED ENHANCED INFRARED SATELLITE IMAGERY (EIR) REVEALS A NEARLY ANNULAR EYEWALL HAS CONTINUED TO EXPAND UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF A VERY FAVORABLE ENVIRONMENT. THE CURRENT INTENSITY HAS BEEN INCREASED TO 170 KNOTS BASED ON THE 8.0/8.0 DVORAK ESTIMATES FROM PGTW, KNES, AND RJTD

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

+1 

This   :D   I am looking forward to an awesome recap from Josh  :wub:

Sunrise in less than an hour and a half from now should time well. Going to get some great daytime video of this monster, assuming holding a camera will be possible.

Good luck to Josh and the other chasers. Although we may judge them for wanting to get in the eyewall of this storm, no matter how ridiculous this may seem, these guys have an unrivaled passion for cyclone chasing. This is their calling, and I'm grateful they are willing to go where no one else will to share amazing images from these systems. Good luck lads!

Sunrise in less than an hour and a half from now should time well. Going to get some great daytime video of this monster, assuming holding a camera will be possible.

I imagine Josh will be in an interior hallway bunkering down.  You'll probably get to hear the sounds and see the winds flying/leaking into the hallway.

Real quick chat with Josh to let him know that it was about to make landfall at Guiuan and headed his way.

They are still surprised that things haven't picked up yet but told him it shouldn't be long.

Probably will lose communication in the next hour or so....

They just lost power, hotel has a generator

It's amazing to think, with 196 mph sustained winds this storm is as much above a minimum cat 5, if there is such a thing, as a strong cat 2 is below.

If Al Gore had his way this is a Cat 6.  

Gonna be close as to whether Tacloban gets the eyewall with this. I suspect there will be some slight weakening until it hits due to land interaction, but its so close though and the storm is so strong its almost moot.

Eyewall is basically a guarantee at this point.  Whether or not they hit the clear of the eye itself is still in question. 

I'm seriously worried for Josh with respect to storm surge.  I'm relatively confident he will be safe with the wind (it should be a bit lower where he is compared to directly on the coast and the building should be sturdy enough)... but the surge.  Look at the geography of where that town is...at the tip of a funnel-shaped bay.  The surge could, quite honestly, break world records there.

For comparison, 5 meters is 16 feet, or about the same height as one of these:

ScoutWalker4.jpg

Eyewall is basically a guarantee at this point.  Whether or not they hit the clear of the eye itself is still in question. 

Yeah if they manage to get into the clear eye that alone will make for epic shots (stadium effect). Northern eyewall only would obviously mean a longer period of absolutely devastating winds.

Archived