Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
iCyclone Typhoon Chasing Expedition - Fall 2013

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

54th WRS was shut down in the 1980s, if I recall the Hong Kong observatory wasn't pleased.  I have often thought since the C-130J Super Hercules that the WC-130J is based on is a common transport in many countries air forces, an ASEAN or hemispheric (perhaps including Australia) combined task force, possibly including US participation because of Guam and Kadena, and including nations that could afford it, like Japan and South Korea, should station recon planes, possibly based at one of several air bases to cover from Australia to Japan and Korea.

BTW. I have seen a picture of the hotel Josh will be based out of, looks pretty sturdy, but not terribly far from the water, and I'm not sure many buildings would survive wind gusts over 200 mph.

I can't believe they are gunna try this one.  This is storm is carrying winds of almost 200 mph.  F5 range almost.  And it looks like it is still strengthening which is incredible.  

God be with them.  They will probably need it.

My first thought, too....although it's too late to get out now. Tacloban's airport is going to get crushed by surge if it stays on this track. They may not be able to get out for a while and I doubt basic necessities will be easy to come by. 

Guiuan, per Wunderground, the closest station I could find to Yolanda, is 27 mph from the Northeast and 998 mb, so if there was a good road network and place to flee towards, they could still abort.  Never been anywhere but Luzon, but I suspect there isn't a good road network and safe place to flee to, so they should hunker down.  On their FB someone suggested duct-taping or otherwise securing flashlights to their bodies, wearing helmets, etc.

Which is probably a reasonable precaution.

All you can really hope at this point is that the eyewall is somewhat disrupted by land before it actually gets to Tacloban.  I don't even really see anywhere else I would want to go to in the area that would have buildings that I would want to be in.  I would say that hotel does not meet the standards I'd be looking for based on damage I've seen first hand (I had family in Homestead for Andrew, their home and the entire neighborhood of million dollar homes was completely flattened.)  So, I hope you guys have scoped out a hospital or some other reinforced concrete structure that you can quickly get to if you realize the hotel is not going to work.

Everyone in the path will be in my thoughts today.  I can't imagine this will be anything other than a catastrophic hit for the region.

Normally I would be jealous of them but not with this one. I just hope that their names do not become synonymous with Tim Samaras and crew, this is truly the El Reno of TCs. They are in serious danger.

I agree. This storm is as strong as they come and so far I don't see any signs of real degeneration as it approaches.

I'm seriously worried for Josh with respect to storm surge.  I'm relatively confident he will be safe with the wind (it should be a bit lower where he is compared to directly on the coast and the building should be sturdy enough)... but the surge.  Look at the geography of where that town is...at the tip of a funnel-shaped bay.  The surge could, quite honestly, break world records there.

Sat estimated pressure 858mb. The world record for measured was Tip in '79, 870.  Words fail. The surge will be truly frightening and not diminish much if at all even if the winds lessen a bit a la Katrina.  I hope that hotel they are in is still standing afterwards.

EDIT: According to Jeff Masters despite the funnel shape of the Gulf there storm surges in this area are not as extreme as might be thought at first glance probably due to the shape of the underwater slope- and if the storm goes a tad north of them then the surge will not be as bad also.  For their sake I hope this is correct.

Archived