e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Late July Pattern Change - Wx Discussion

CT Rain

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He hasn't posted since he said last week's cool down would be a one day affair before high dew, southerly tropical air masses returned for more months and months of humid South Georgia weather.

I'm in South Georgia right now. It's 95/70. He would love it. I, however, miss 71/50 :(

Spent the day with my little one at our friends working farm up in Colrain. (Lyonsville Valley Farm)

Stunning day up in the hills.  Low 70's and dry (57 DP) with big cotton candy cumulus.   Must've eaten a pound of raspberries off the bushes. lol

Upper 70's down in the lowlands of Greenfield.

I'm amazed at how cool MPM's location is.  He'll sometimes run 3-4 degrees cooler in the summer than locations up In Ashfield and Plainfield at 1500'.

You should swing by the Pit sometime, Chris. Next year, your little one can go in the pool.  This year, you can stare at where it going to go.  :)

72.4/57

I'm glad you don't have anything against me, Scott. :)

I think there's a ton of impact due to the element of relative elevation.

It is really interesting to watch the car thermometer tick downward as I begin the climb out of Greenfield. I was in Shelburne Falls at noon picking up my daughter. I dropped 4* between there and the Pit.

Whatever the situation that keeps me cool in the day makes me among the warmer spots at night. Nearby elevated valleys; the CT River Valley,, Bob's neck of the woods in Taunton--those areas kill me on any overnight low that's radiating. Everyone reports frost except me--though I can walk down the hill a 150-200' and have frost there.

Back to 73.0/57

Yeah I love talking about the effects of elevation on temperatures, and you guys on that east slope bench above 1000ft have an amazing ability to stay even cooler than one might expect for your elevation. But likewise, you always have warm minimums on the radiational nights. It's a pretty cool climate area relative to other parts of the region.

Spectacular. Mid day 80s/50s is as good as it gets in summer. Up in the high country above 1000 ft in the Catskills earlier today was intervals of clouds and sun and coolish. Perfect Boston evening tonight.

I hope you had a nice time out there.  Did you toss any acorns out the window as you drove through Tolland?  I think Kevin wanted to grow a few more oaks in his back yard.

70.5/57

Spectacular. Mid day 80s/50s is as good as it gets in summer. Up in the high country above 1000 ft in the Catskills earlier today was intervals of clouds and sun and coolish. Perfect Boston evening tonight.

Glad you were here to enjoy it.

I'm just north of the Catskills, above 1600 feet and we were just under 70F for a high today.

And for BTV's question:  Hell yeah I'm happy.  The sweltering heat and humidity two weeks ago was unbearable, particularly in the land of no A/C up here.

I'll take repeats of today from now til October please and thank you.

Nothing against MPM, I know his site is correct for his location, but that's the magic of Gods Country. I often look at the east slope temps and they'll be colder than similar elevations up this way in northern VT. I always wonder if relative elevation matters in terms of high temperatures...if you are at 1,200ft and the highest point around, will you be more exposed to free-air and cooler thermodynamics because there isn't higher terrain around you? Instead up here 1,500ft is like a rolling foothill or bench prior to the real mountain spines. Maybe even 1,500ft can get compressional cooling off 4000ft elevations in the area?

That's been my observation here as well.  I've seen the same effect with snow here at 650'.  Being surrounded by 1000'+ hills I've seen many marginal times where I'll have more snow than the same 650' coming up out of the CT River Valley or even south of me at UConn.  I think there's a difference between being on a 1000' "peak" like Kevin and a 1,000' plateau.

I hope you had a nice time out there.  Did you toss any acorns out the window as you drove through Tolland?  I think Kevin wanted to grow a few more oaks in his back yard.

70.5/57

I think those little towns offer the perfect retirement spot in a few years. I'd work on my own but it could easily be doable. My wife and felt good there and I'd probably pick up a 50% snow dividend over and above mby now.

That's been my observation here as well.  I've seen the same effect with snow here at 650'.  Being surrounded by 1000'+ hills I've seen many marginal times where I'll have more snow than the same 650' coming up out of the CT River Valley or even south of me at UConn.  I think there's a difference between being on a 1000' "peak" like Kevin and a 1,000' plateau.

Absolutely there is. 2K in the Berkshires (a wide plateau) is much better for snow than 2K in the Taconics (a narrow, steep ridge). In fact, I'm pretty sure areas between 2 and 2.5K in the northern Berkshires and southern Greens are better for snowfall than 3.5K at the summit of Mt. Greylock, which is in the Taconics. 3.5K on Greylock will be colder due to its elevation, but precipitation efficiency is going to be much better on a plateau as the air isn't immediately descending down the other side and drying out as it crosses over the crest.

I think those little towns offer the perfect retirement spot in a few years. I'd work on my own but it could easily be doable. My wife and felt good there and I'd probably pick up a 50% snow dividend over and above mby now.

Do you really need any more reason, Jerry? :)

Another cool night and another day progged for 70's.  The earlier summer heat and humidity is a mere memory in my feeble mind.

Heading up to the Green Mountain State for a meeting at Lyndon State.  Looks like a nice day for a drive.

58..7/55, nice breeze.

Do you really need any more reason, Jerry? :)

Another cool night and another day progged for 70's.  The earlier summer heat and humidity is a mere memory in my feeble mind.

Heading up to the Green Mountain State for a meeting at Lyndon State.  Looks like a nice day for a drive.

58..7/55, nice breeze.

Always a nice drive....especially north of White River Jct.

Nice morning here....looks like 54° will do it for the low off a high of 77° yesterday afternoon.  It doesn't get much better than that for late July!

Always a nice drive....especially north of White River Jct.

Nice morning here....looks like 54° will do it for the low off a high of 77° yesterday afternoon.  It doesn't get much better than that for late July!

Tell me about it.  Today will be a little warmer than yesterday's 73.4*, but upper 70's is pretty seasonable these days.  Hopefully, we can fall a little short of that.

I violently agree with this post

I'm assuming you are talking about the Catskills, if not ignore me.  If you want real snow get out of town up to 2000' or at least 1500.  There are numerous days where the valleys are rain and it's snowing in the hills / mountains especially early and late season.  And I'm not sure where in the Cat's you were but the northern areas hold the snow better than the southern area, but some don't like that.

Archived