• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Late July Pattern Change - Wx Discussion

CT Rain

I mean it was definitely a very impressive stretch of hideous humidity. I think many of us were thinking it's an odd way to break a record since so many of the hottest months had really impressive heat waves with really scorching daytime highs which this one did not. In fact the only area that really had the "impressive" heat wave was coastal CT because of longevity... elsewhere the actual heat waves were pretty meh.

In the record books will there an asterisk or will it just be listed as the hottest month ever?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep mentioning that the high temperatures were not as impressive as many other hot Julys is not spin. It actually a fact.

Its also a fact that BDL and PVD will set its highest monthly average temperature for July. The way they got there was pretty unusual though.

A neat fact is it also will end up hottest month ever too, not just hottest July

By September we want cool and fall. You get the sense we're burning the cool pattern now setting up for a brutal warm fall. The amount if warmth in Alaska and Western Canada is alarming. We don't like to see that

actually having a pig ridge into Alaska has allowed Eastern Canada to deliver some historic outbreaks and also allows cross polar flow.

In the record books will there an asterisk or will it just be listed as the hottest month ever?

Hottest month ever - no denying that. It was just an unusual way to go about doing it - sort of like how you say overnight lows don't matter in the winter when you're locking in a 10 day below normal stretch. 

It's a record... but there wasn't one heat wave that will stand out or be remembered. 

Hottest month ever - no denying that. It was just an unusual way to go about doing it - sort of like how you say overnight lows don't matter in the winter when you're locking in a 10 day below normal stretch. 

It's a record... but there wasn't one heat wave that will stand out or be remembered. 

But aren't you basically guaranteed high overnight departures when your daytime highs are running +10 and above.  They go hand-in-hand to me.  It's not bootleg to me at all.  July 14th-20th sticks out to me.  I don't get too many 7 day heatwaves.

If you're talking about BDL agree-but BDR had it's first 7 day heat wave EVER.    Also had 33 days of dews at or above 70...extremely impressive on both counts

Probably being overly picky, but PVD had just one +15 max and BDL appears to have topped out with a +12.  It was the long run of +7 to +10 days with even greater night time warmth that set the record.

July 2013 is going to end up slightly the coolest July wrt avg max temps in the last 4 years IMBY. Definitely bootleg up here.

If you're talking about BDL agree-but BDR had it's first 7 day heat wave EVER.    Also had 33 days of dews at or above 70...extremely impressive on both counts

Yeah I already mentioned that - I think for the CT shoreline it was a bit different. 

But aren't you basically guaranteed high overnight departures when your daytime highs are running +10 and above. They go hand-in-hand to me. It's not bootleg to me at all. July 14th-20th sticks out to me. I don't get too many 7 day heatwaves.

Not necessarily...and you live in an area that radiates pretty well relatively speaking.

Last July was a lot less humid and up here we/MVL had above normal high temps, but below normal lows. In a dry pattern without the dews to keep minimums high, any radiating place can easily do the AOA daytime and AOB nighttime.

We were getting like +8 during the day and -7 at night for days of like 90/48.

Huh? The 7 day brutal heat wave we had is one that will always be remembered. Christ ORH hit 90 or above 3 or 4 days in a row which is almost impossible to do .

But aren't you basically guaranteed high overnight departures when your daytime highs are running +10 and above.  They go hand-in-hand to me.  It's not bootleg to me at all.  July 14th-20th sticks out to me.  I don't get too many 7 day heatwaves.

I think it's more an issue of the entire month (for many areas) not having one heat wave of note. No day where we all tickled 100... in fact heat index values rarely climbed above 100 all month. It was the day after day of 70+ mins that really managed to keep the month toasty. If you look at the average maxes of July 2013 and compare them to the avg max temps of the other hottest Julys you can see the difference. 

But it all factors in equally. Any non wx person you ask totally thinks July was hot.

People who fetishize daily max and disregard daily mins or means have got to be climate control weenies. I lived in a triple decker in Somerville, no A/C, in July 1991, and had no sleep for what felt like weeks. I didn't care about 99 degrees during the day, but 81 at night was living death.

On the other hand, I lived in Nashville last year in an air conditioned house, worked in an air conditioned office, and drive my car to work with the a/c at max. The 109F high on June 29 was an interesting footnote, barely noticeable.

Those mean temps are a big damn deal if you actually experience them.

I think it's more an issue of the entire month (for many areas) not having one heat wave of note. No day where we all tickled 100... in fact heat index values rarely climbed above 100 all month. It was the day after day of 70+ mins that really managed to keep the month toasty. If you look at the average maxes of July 2013 and compare them to the avg max temps of the other hottest Julys you can see the difference. 

Must have been an anomaly for TAN.  7 days I had a HI of 100F+.  I agree on the average max's, it was the longevity of the heat this month that sticks out.  I (TAN) had a 5 day and a 7 day heat wave this month.  I can't recall that ever.

To each his own, but it was a bit of an overrated "heat"wave to me. Yes, it was extremely humid, but no days stand out for it temperature wise. Yeah, BOS had a 99F in there, but it was mostly low end 90s for most. Throw in a few days of upper 90s and tickle 100s at all climo sites and I'll be impressed.

To each his own, but it was a bit of an overrated "heat"wave to me. Yes, it was extremely humid, but no days stand out for it temperature wise. Yeah, BOS had a 99F in there, but it was mostly low end 90s for most. Throw in a few days of upper 90s and tickle 100s at all climo sites and I'll be impressed.

NNE was not as bad as the SNE coast, but still with 18 days of above normal lows versus 16 above normal highs there is the bootleg component, although the week long heat wave was impressive not by high temp standards but by real feel standards. Can not take anything away from the record, it was and felt extremely uncomfortable for most of the month.

Top average Max temps at BDL in July:

1966: 89.2

1955: 88.6

1999: 88.5

2010: 88.4

1995: 88.4

1952: 87.7

1949: 87.7

1994: 87.6

1983: 87.4

2013: 87.4

2011: 87.3

So the maxes were definitely below some of the other big dog Julys known for heat waves.

Record average minimum at BDL in July:

1921: 66.7

1994: 66.6

and

2013: 68.9

Absolutely shattering the previous record.

People who fetishize daily max and disregard daily mins or means have got to be climate control weenies. I lived in a triple decker in Somerville, no A/C, in July 1991, and had no sleep for what felt like weeks. I didn't care about 99 degrees during the day, but 81 at night was living death.

On the other hand, I lived in Nashville last year in an air conditioned house, worked in an air conditioned office, and drive my car to work with the a/c at max. The 109F high on June 29 was an interesting footnote, barely noticeable.

Those mean temps are a big damn deal if you actually experience them.

I'm glad that you mentioned 1991.  BDL was 100° for three days in a row and I think several records were broken around the region during that 8 day heat wave.  That's one that sticks out in my mind.  That is exceptional heat for this area.  I don't think that has happened before or since. 

There's no doubt that July was the warmest July on record.  I say on record because we don't want the weather has been here through eons but it's the warmest in the past 100 years or so.  The current average high temperature this month is 87.4°.  There are 9 other July's the have a higher average high temperature, including the current record highest 89.2° in 1966.  I'm glad that average is higher than any other month on record but when the average high is lower than the previous three record high months, it didn't get there by having record high temperatures.

If you were above 1500 ft i would say they ave at least 80 inches. What town were you in.

All over the place but the northern extent was near Liberty. I think Monticello is around 1500 ft and most towns in the area are close to comparable. I like the vibe, the ease of access to NYC, the cheap real estate, the left over hippies....all good with me.

I'm glad that you mentioned 1991.  BDL was 100° for three days in a row and I think several records were broken around the region during that 8 day heat wave.  That's one that sticks out in my mind.  That is exceptional heat for this area.  I don't think that has happened before or since. 

There's no doubt that July was the warmest July on record.  I say on record because we don't want the weather has been here through eons but it's the warmest in the past 100 years or so.  The current average high temperature this month is 87.4°.  There are 8 other July's the have a higher average high temperature, including the current record highest 89.2° in 1966.  I'm glad that average is higher than any other month on record but when the average high is lower than the previous three record high months, it didn't get there by having record high temperatures.

looking forward to the medias blitz and blame on GW while temp low records are broken across the country. Lets not forget the SE's cold summer.

I mean it was definitely a very impressive stretch of hideous humidity. I think many of us were thinking it's an odd way to break a record since so many of the hottest months had really impressive heat waves with really scorching daytime highs which this one did not. In fact the only area that really had the "impressive" heat wave was coastal CT because of longevity... elsewhere the actual heat waves were pretty meh. 

That's all I mean. Not sure why some are defensive.

Archived