EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Late July Pattern Change - Wx Discussion

CT Rain

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sure they played a big role but they had like 12 days over 90. We in N CT just lived thru the hottest month in our states history. It's a month I will personally always remember with fondness . We certainly have changed the pattern now, no doubt about it

Many of the other record July had highs much hotter. The period of high dews is what really did it with overnight lows astronomically high. That was the biggest reason.

Sure they played a big role but they had like 12 days over 90. We in N CT just lived thru the hottest month in our states history. It's a month I will personally always remember with fondness . We certainly have changed the pattern now, no doubt about it

welcome back and your apology is accepted

PVD looks like a lock too....weird little strip of record departures there...since BOS/ORH won't even get top 5.

I think dewpoints well south of pike were a few degrees higher on many occassions, and low temps at nite were even more uncomfortable and higher in pvd-hfd, which was enuf to make departures from normal records, all other things considered

But it all factors in equally. Any non wx person you ask totally thinks July was hot.

Yes, I'll agree with you on that one now because of that one week of heat, amid a background of humidity the rest of the month. That one 5-7 day period was fairly impressive, even up here where BTV put up a 5-day heat wave in the valley.

I still think we get another shot of summer, probably later in August, but it'll be shorter and not as bad. But the heat always comes back. Maybe even September? We aren't doing 75/50 from here on out.

Yes, I'll agree with you on that one now because of that one week of heat, amid a background of humidity the rest of the month. That one 5-7 day period was fairly impressive, even up here where BTV put up a 5-day heat wave in the valley.

I still think we get another shot of summer, probably later in August, but it'll be shorter and not as bad. But the heat always comes back. Maybe even September? We aren't doing 75/50 from here on out.

By September we want cool and fall. You get the sense we're burning the cool pattern now setting up for a brutal warm fall. The amount if warmth in Alaska and Western Canada is alarming. We don't like to see that

Boot leg overnight lows.

I hope you are trolling.  Aren't you invariably going to have high nighttime departures when your daytime departures are +15?  I would not call the record bootleg at all.  PVD will come in at a +5F departure for July.  Only 4 - days the whole month.  That's hot. 

By September we want cool and fall. You get the sense we're burning the cool pattern now setting up for a brutal warm fall. The amount if warmth in Alaska and Western Canada is alarming. We don't like to see that

:weenie: its mid-summer still. plenty of time to set up a cool pattern in september. However I would rather it be warm in sept and cooler starting oct 1.

I hope you are trolling.  Aren't you invariably going to have high nighttime departures when your daytime departures are +15?  I would not call the record bootleg at all.  PVD will come in at a +5F departure for July.  Only 4 - days the whole month.  That's hot. 

Amen.   Funny how some will try to spin it that it was no big deal.  It was hot and uncomfortable for basically the whole month outside of the last 5 days

Probably being overly picky, but PVD had just one +15 max and BDL appears to have topped out with a +12.  It was the long run of +7 to +10 days with even greater night time warmth that set the record.

Amen.   Funny how some will try to spin it that it was no big deal.  It was hot and uncomfortable for basically the whole month outside of the last 5 days

I mean it was definitely a very impressive stretch of hideous humidity. I think many of us were thinking it's an odd way to break a record since so many of the hottest months had really impressive heat waves with really scorching daytime highs which this one did not. In fact the only area that really had the "impressive" heat wave was coastal CT because of longevity... elsewhere the actual heat waves were pretty meh. 

I don't think it's spin when the fact is that the average high temperature this month is LOWER than the previous records average high temperature.

I mean it was definitely a very impressive stretch of hideous humidity. I think many of us were thinking it's an odd way to break a record since so many of the hottest months had really impressive heat waves with really scorching daytime highs which this one did not. In fact the only area that really had the "impressive" heat wave was coastal CT because of longevity... elsewhere the actual heat waves were pretty meh. 

We've also had more impressive heat waves in the past.  It was nothing to write home about.

Probably being overly picky, but PVD had just one +15 max and BDL appears to have topped out with a +12.  It was the long run of +7 to +10 days with even greater night time warmth that set the record.

Yep mentioning that the high temperatures were not as impressive as many other hot Julys is not spin. It actually a fact.

Its also a fact that BDL and PVD will set its highest monthly average temperature for July. The way they got there was pretty unusual though.

IJD did not break any records 

What defines a "scorching daytime high"  +10?  +15?  +20?

Archived