e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Late July Pattern Change - Wx Discussion

CT Rain

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spent the day with my little one at our friends working farm up in Colrain. (Lyonsville Valley Farm)

Stunning day up in the hills.  Low 70's and dry (57 DP) with big cotton candy cumulus.   Must've eaten a pound of raspberries off the bushes. lol

Upper 70's down in the lowlands of Greenfield.

I'm amazed at how cool MPM's location is.  He'll sometimes run 3-4 degrees cooler in the summer than locations up In Ashfield and Plainfield at 1500'.

He hasn't posted since he said last week's cool down would be a one day affair before high dew, southerly tropical air masses returned for more months and months of humid South Georgia weather.

He'll be back by October colder than ORH temps and never mentioning BDL when we get our first solid CAA day with highs in the 40s in the hills.

And downplaying any torch that might affect us.

Man 71/51 is just too perfect for the end of July...high for the day has been 74F with big puffy orographic clouds mixed with sun.

This has been a 180 shift from the previous pattern, with more fronts and troughs heading our way.

Yup--doesn't get much better during the heat of summer.

72.6/57 off a high of 73.4.

Spent the day with my little one at our friends working farm up in Colrain. (Lyonsville Valley Farm)

Stunning day up in the hills. Low 70's and dry (57 DP) with big cotton candy cumulus. Must've eaten a pound of raspberries off the bushes. lol

Upper 70's down in the lowlands of Greenfield.

I'm amazed at how cool MPM's location is. He'll sometimes run 3-4 degrees cooler in the summer than locations up In Ashfield and Plainfield at 1500'.

Nothing against MPM, I know his site is correct for his location, but that's the magic of Gods Country. I often look at the east slope temps and they'll be colder than similar elevations up this way in northern VT. I always wonder if relative elevation matters in terms of high temperatures...if you are at 1,200ft and the highest point around, will you be more exposed to free-air and cooler thermodynamics because there isn't higher terrain around you? Instead up here 1,500ft is like a rolling foothill or bench prior to the real mountain spines. Maybe even 1,500ft can get compressional cooling off 4000ft elevations in the area?

Nothing against MPM, I know his site is correct for his location, but that's the magic of Gods Country. I often look at the east slope temps and they'll be colder than similar elevations up this way in northern VT. I always wonder if relative elevation matters in terms of high temperatures...if you are at 1,200ft and the highest point around, will you be more exposed to free-air and cooler thermodynamics because there isn't higher terrain around you? Instead up here 1,500ft is like a rolling foothill or bench prior to the real mountain spines. Maybe even 1,500ft can get compressional cooling off 4000ft elevations in the area?

I'm glad you don't have anything against me, Scott.  :)

I think there's a ton of impact due to the element of relative elevation. 

It is really interesting to watch the car thermometer tick downward as I begin the climb out of Greenfield.  I was in Shelburne Falls at noon picking up my daughter.  I dropped 4* between there and the Pit.

Whatever the situation that keeps me cool in the day makes me among the warmer spots at night.  Nearby elevated valleys; the CT River Valley,, Bob's neck of the woods in Taunton--those areas kill me on any overnight low that's radiating.  Everyone reports frost except me--though I can walk down the hill a 150-200' and have frost there.

Back to 73.0/57

Archived