12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What? That's one of the top two or three best things in life. Mowing on the tractor and trimming and then sitting back when you're done and admiring how nice the lawn looks. Only thing better is shovelling snow and admiring the banks upon completion.

No tractor here.

Also, lots of steep inclines, and abrubt grade changes, and obstructions. 

I don't have the cookie cutter, square, cul du sac 1/4-1/2 and acre, with a slight slope or so.  You know the type of lawn that is not even worth wasting money on a tractor but because it's America we do type of lawn.

I have a few holes in my backyard that I'm trying to patch up. I would just fill with some top soil and plant grass seed but I have a feeling the dog will gravitate to the mud. Do you think getting some sod and cutting it up and putting it in the holes would work? Any tips?

I have a few holes in my backyard that I'm trying to patch up. I would just fill with some top soil and plant grass seed but I have a feeling the dog will gravitate to the mud. Do you think getting some sod and cutting it up and putting it in the Lholes would work? Any tips?

Lol. Holes from what? An old cemetery? I wouldn't do the sod thing. You have to have some real good soil underneath. You can't just put Sod over air. It needs to be able to establish a root system. Get soil fill the holes and seed

Lol. Holes from what? An old cemetery? I wouldn't do the sod thing. You have to have some real good soil underneath. You can't just put Sod over air. It needs to be able to establish a root system. Get soil fill the holes and seed

Had a monster tree cut down and some of the limbs that fell when they were cutting it down left some pretty decent sized holes. 

Oh not deep... maybe 6"? Probably 6" deep and then 6"x6" wide?

Well if it was me, I'd want everything to be level rather than bumpy and uneven. What I would do is get some good screened top soil , rake it so its level with other parts of lawn , starter fert over the areas , and then seed it with good seed. Keep it moist and 7-10 it will germinate

Well if it was me, I'd want everything to be level rather than bumpy and uneven. What I would do is get some good screened top soil , rake it so its level with other parts of lawn , starter fert over the areas , and then seed it with good seed. Keep it moist and 7-10 it will germinate

What's good seed and when should I do it? Now?

What's good seed and when should I do it? Now?

Im guessing its a full sun area? Scott's makes some very good seed. It's what I use. Just make sure its a sun mixture if the area is mostly sunny and put a good layer of soil down. Lightly rake the seed into the soil. Gotta keep it moist too. And with the dry pattern/ drought that will require daily watering. Yes now is good time. Don't put any weed killer down anywhere near where you plant it

Im guessing its a full sun area? Scott's makes some very good seed. It's what I use. Just make sure its a sun mixture if the area is mostly sunny and put a good layer of soil down. Lightly rake the seed into the soil. Gotta keep it moist too. And with the dry pattern/ drought that will require daily watering. Yes now is good time. Don't put any weed killer down anywhere near where you plant it

I used Scott's for years until I discovered Pennington, much better. In the past at least, Scott's snuck in much more annual seed which is useless IMO.

I used Scott's for years until I discovered Pennington, much better. In the past at least, Scott's snuck in much more annual seed which is useless IMO.

same here. switched to Pennington northeast blend, and i get much better results with the pennington.

What? That's one of the top two or three best things in life. Mowing on the tractor and trimming and then sitting back when you're done and admiring how nice the lawn looks. Only thing better is shovelling snow and admiring the banks upon completion.

I have to agree with you there, Kevin. It does take a chunk of time. But, those few hours allow my mind to drift. Same thing while splitting wood--thea activiy's on cruise controle and I just drearm of what I'd do if I won the lottery.....:)

Tasty.

Looks god, Joe. My lawn's a disaster. Man, I wish it would rain so seed would take.

Archived