Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol yeah you can't cut the grass often enough in May/ June. Looking forward to the first mowing this year. Prob at least 4 weeks away sadly. Last year was already cutting

Might be sooner then 4 week if we can keep the sun out for a bit. My place is greening up really nice right now. With the rain today and sun for the next 4 days it might start to take off.

So lawn aficionados...moss is overtaking my lawn. What to do? Long-term plan is to cut some trees down and get more sun on the problem areas. Was told applying lime should help, but after 5-years of yearly applications I'm not sure it's done a damn thing. In fact moss seems to be spreading to parts of the lawn that I would consider getting a fair amount of sun. Short of killing off everything and starting fresh, anything I can do?

So lawn aficionados...moss is overtaking my lawn. What to do? Long-term plan is to cut some trees down and get more sun on the problem areas. Was told applying lime should help, but after 5-years of yearly applications I'm not sure it's done a damn thing. In fact moss seems to be spreading to parts of the lawn that I would consider getting a fair amount of sun. Short of killing off everything and starting fresh, anything I can do?

There's some anti moss material you can spread on it. It will turn it brown then black and kill it for the season, but if you don't keep on top of it, it will come back again the following season. Scotts makes some that i've seen.

I've had decent results using this, I've only used the granules in the shaker bag and not the other products.

http://www.mossout.com/lawns.htm

Will have to look for that or the Scott's brand as Kevin mentioned. I know I've browsed Home Depot before and only found tiny spray bottle of moss killer that isn't going to be of much use on a large area. I'll dig a little deeper now that I know they sell stuff in larger quantities.

Will have to look for that or the Scott's brand as Kevin mentioned. I know I've browsed Home Depot before and only found tiny spray bottle of moss killer that isn't going to be of much use on a large area. I'll dig a little deeper now that I know they sell stuff in larger quantities.

Moss is a product of high soil moisture, low sun light, low pH...so unless you change some of those conditions you will keep getting it. In the future try to create additional sunlight and applying lime will help. Where is the moss at? Under a tree? or just out in the open with limited sunlight?

I can't remember exactly which store I've seen it in but it was either Walmart, Lowes, or Home Depot.

Moss is a product of high soil moisture, low sun light, low pH...so unless you change some of those conditions you will keep getting it. In the future try to create additional sunlight and applying lime will help. Where is the moss at? Under a tree? or just out in the open with limited sunlight?

Shade is no doubt the biggest problem...and I hope to have some trees cut down in another year or so to help with that. But I have seen moss cropping up on the sunnier parts of our lawn...which is probably 50-75% sunlight. But even this spots moisture is an issue, our lawn typically doesn't dry out from the dew until noon during the summer. Doubt it's the ph...been putting down lime every year but 1 out of the past 6.

In any case..I did find some pelletized moss out at Truevalue today, so I'll give that a shot and see if it takes care of it for the year.

Shade is no doubt the biggest problem...and I hope to have some trees cut down in another year or so to help with that. But I have seen moss cropping up on the sunnier parts of our lawn...which is probably 50-75% sunlight. But even this spots moisture is an issue, our lawn typically doesn't dry out from the dew until noon during the summer. Doubt it's the ph...been putting down lime every year but 1 out of the past 6.

In any case..I did find some pelletized moss out at Truevalue today, so I'll give that a shot and see if it takes care of it for the year.

U might want to send some test soil to UCONN. But yes , get some sun lite on that lawn. Scott's also has a 3 hour sun lite seed that I have had very good success with.  http://www.soiltest.uconn.edu/sampling.php

If its possible try trimming some of the lower branches on the trees to allow sunlight...If you can't do that. I would get a chemical to kill the moss then rake all of it out and create a good seed bed. Then go with a fine fescue, tall fescue, ryegrass mix, with the greatest percent favoring fine fescue.

I look forward to late July when my lawn starts getting brown and I don't have to mow 3 acres of property anymore. If I'm lucky it'll start torching in early June with dews in the 30s and we'll start browning by the 4th.

lol it would cost money but you should invest in growth regulators if you hate mowing.

lol it would cost money but you should invest in growth regulators if you hate mowing.

My lawn is a money pit. To have it landscaped set us back nearly 1g/month, so that quite wasn't working out. lol. I could only imagine what it would cost to apply that stuff over 3 acres over the course of a full season...probably would cost more than landscaping. I don't like using chemicals like that anyway-- especially with our reservoirs nearby.

I think I'm just going to start a big tree growing campaign this year. I would like to reclaim at least an acre  if I could. That would definitely cut a lot of the time spent mowing. lol

My lawn is a money pit. To have it landscaped set us back nearly 1g/month, so that quite wasn't working out. lol. I could only imagine what it would cost to apply that stuff over 3 acres over the course of a full season...probably would cost more than landscaping. I don't like using chemicals like that anyway-- especially with our reservoirs nearby.

I think I'm just going to start a big tree growing campaign this year. I would like to reclaim at least an acre if I could. That would definitely cut a lot of the time spent mowing. lol

We planted some hedges 15 years ago or so and they are 8-10 feet tall.

Most are out here in the valley. I have one on the north side of my house that still hasn't bloomed but the one on the south side is fully out. 

Nada here. Not even pulsating or throbbing as Tip puts it

Temps dropped all day here yesterday and by 5:00pm it was in the low 40's Terrible weekend wx. Forecasts were bad from all outlets. Even KTOL busted

Really? Deer don't touch the forsythia here.

Yes, really. Deer are just rats with longer legs. There are so many where I live that they eat everything. And the few things they havnt eaten the damn groundhogs like to chomp on. The tops of my forsythia that is out of reach of the deer are just starting to pop now.

Archived