• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

Well after one of the best winters of any of our lives, it's back by popular demand. The lawn and garden thread is all about green grass, landscapes, and tips and techniques that folks come to from all walks of life for crucial lawn information. As we now enter the worst time of year(spring) its time to think about when to start applying your first application of Lesco, raking and clearing all the winter debris off the lawns, mulching the beds, and power washing anything and everything that is related to your homes , walks, and decks.

As we get ready to plan for another fun season of lawn care, most lawns (except for SE Mass where things are green , growing , and in full flower) look like this. It's going to be awhile. But eventually these barren, lifeless landscapes will transform into lush green rain forests, complete with chipmunks, snakes and dewpoints above 70.

Get after it

1F71FA31_zpsf658440b.jpg

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought a new house. House closes on May 13th.

Thinking of doing some night fertilization of the new house. Need to get my dimension down before I close.  I can just picture the look on the sellers face when I ask them to fertilize their grass.

night_vision_htmgen2tree.jpg

old house

cummings6.jpg

So when should I drop the fertilizer? Obviously before a rain, but once the temp warms a bit? #Noob

Dont ever put any fert down until forsythia are in full bloom. And don't put any pre emergent down now. All that should go down for the first app is a straight shot of fert for green up. The pre emergent stuff doesn't go down until mid - late May

Gave myself a dope slap last spring. My lawn was hydroseeded when we built our house in 2006. Fertilized a couple times after that, and mostly I have been bagging when I mowed. Makes for a nice compost pile, but as I was researching organic alternatives to Lesco and Scotts, I decided to skip bagging, and go with mulching blades. Grass in definitely not artificial golf course green, but it looks better. 

Still debating about a weed control application this spring, but leaning towards a mow what grows approach. 

I know this is a Lesco camp and I may be banned for this, but I had excellent luck with Scotts Lawn Pro last year.  More so than Lesco (Home Depot Lesco (yes I know, I know)) the year before.  Agway has an awesome deal on it too, but it may have expired by now.  Its $200 for the four steps (15k sf), minus a $40 mail in rebate plus a $100 restaurant.com giftcard.  I also had good luck with grubx last year.  Lawn was looking tip top in the fall, only to have a large section of it ripped up for new leaching fields in January!  Hoping to get the new lawn in the week after next....

All kidding aside I wonder if people know how bad the chemicals in a lot of this stuff is for their kids?

One of the pesticides that was used heavily in the 70s-90's (and still is) was just on the list as being equivalent to the nerve gasses (in terms of brain stem damage) used in Gulf War 1.

Its fine. Use it and enjoy all the benefits that come with it

The pros are funny-some of my neighbors have had 2 or 3 dumpings of God knows what and it's only April 4th...

I admit I do use chemicals but nowhere at the rate of others.

I have a neighbor adamant about not using chemicals on his lawn.  Yet he lets his multiple dogs crap everywhere and doesn't pick it up. 

I bet in 20 or 30 years we'll look back on the chemicals in the weed killers and preventatives and think WTF were we thinking?

I admit I do use chemicals but nowhere at the rate of others.

I have a neighbor adamant about not using chemicals on his lawn.  Yet he lets his multiple dogs crap everywhere and doesn't pick it up. 

I bet in 20 or 30 years we'll look back on the chemicals in the weed killers and preventatives and think WTF were we thinking?

same here.   A feeding in the spring and fall and crabgrass preventer is all I need.    This stuff's been around for 50 yrs and I dont see any 2 headed kids walking around...yet...LOL

Archived