• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

I admit I do use chemicals but nowhere at the rate of others.

I have a neighbor adamant about not using chemicals on his lawn.  Yet he lets his multiple dogs crap everywhere and doesn't pick it up. 

I bet in 20 or 30 years we'll look back on the chemicals in the weed killers and preventatives and think WTF were we thinking?

The pesticides out on the market right now have improved greatly. The LC and LD have gone up big time. Though like you said there are some that are still on the market like dursban that are skull and cross bones. What people don't realize the LD and LC of caffeine is higher than majority of the pesticides used on the market right now. Also, the amount of chemical that is used in turf is so minuscule. 

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gave myself a dope slap last spring. My lawn was hydroseeded when we built our house in 2006. Fertilized a couple times after that, and mostly I have been bagging when I mowed. Makes for a nice compost pile, but as I was researching organic alternatives to Lesco and Scotts, I decided to skip bagging, and go with mulching blades. Grass in definitely not artificial golf course green, but it looks better. 

Still debating about a weed control application this spring, but leaning towards a mow what grows approach. 

If you stay on top of mowing, not bagging is the way to go. The clippings return nitrogen to your lawn. People think that you should bag because the clippings cause thatch, which is incorrect. Grass is made up of 70% water, so it decomposes pretty fast. If you have a dollar spot issue it helps that to.

My grand father would prob post in this thread. He had patio redone last spring but guys left cement chunks all over the lawn as well leaving their heavy equipment all over the yard did a huge number on His lawn last year. I till'd the soil pick'd up all the cement I could find and we re seed'd lawn then later on. I spread 400lbs of some sort of crap all over his property but the areas where the heavy equipment and cement chunks were left were dead and really dried out and he was rip ****. This year I hope his lawn bounces back.

Spring lawn cleanup complete. Picked up disaster of limbs, twigs, did some raking, got some straggler leaves out of beds.

Next weekend ground should finally be warm enough to drop first round of Lesco for green up.

Right now..millions of acres of barren and brown all across SNE.  One of the latest yrs on record

Its not too early but you can't put any weed killer- preventer down until the new seedlings are fully established and have been mowed 2-3 times

Thanks, I figured I would be ok with "step 1 (preventer)" as long I keep ten feet or so from the area of my yard that was ripped up.  No overseeding planned, so no issue there...  How heavy is the rain on friday...washing the seed out a concern?  It will be hayed...

Thanks, I figured I would be ok with "step 1 (preventer)" as long I keep ten feet or so from the area of my yard that was ripped up. No overseeding planned, so no issue there... How heavy is the rain on friday...washing the seed out a concern? It will be hayed...

if its a flat area it should be ok. Be careful prancing and dancing with that hay. Hay is full of weeds and can germinate weeds along with the seed

South facing lawns here are greening up. I think it's still too early for other lawns for fert. Maybe in a week or so.

Still haven't seen any Norway Maples start to bloom. I believe I saw my first on March 22'nd last year. I think we had a thread talking about the early green-up and ice-out at Winnipesaukee. Anyone got a link to that?

South facing lawns here are greening up. I think it's still too early for other lawns for fert. Maybe in a week or so.

Still haven't seen any Norway Maples start to bloom. I believe I saw my first on March 22'nd last year. I think we had a thread talking about the early green-up and ice-out at Winnipesaukee. Anyone got a link to that?

aren't Norway maples an invasive species? And grass grows terrible under them if I'm remember correctly

Archived