• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

Ok, my lawn does not look like the Augusta National in Tolland, but it is not bad. I have spots where I need loam and seed, and other sections I have some round head weeds mixed in with the grass; how do I get rid of these?

Spot treat it with ortho weed killer. That's what i used if a weed or 2 pops up. But don't use something like roundup on the lawn if there's grass surrounding the weeds. Look on the label and see what types of weeds that particular ortho weed killer kills. It won't harm grass. Also I wouldn't seed now. With hot summer months coming you will struggle to get it to grow and will actually invite more weeds to grow in. Seed it in September

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far from perfect. 

1. I need to get out with weed wacker

2. I still have a lot of patching to do in the area I've been clearing the last couple years

3. I still have areas to finish clearing.

But, at least most of its been mowed.

Does not even matter what condition your lawn is in.  The mere fact that you have youtube video of your lawn is a win - way beyond Kevin.

The new house after first application of Lesco.  This was once an inground pool that the previous owners filled in. It makes for a fantastic soccer field. The new owners of my old house haven't cut the lawn in 3 weeks. I spent 6 years making an absolutely perfect lawn and they're completely neglecting it.

20130531_191114_zps86a97361.jpg

My new arch-nemeis. Japanese Knotwood.  Nothing a little 50% glyophosphate can't fix.

20130521_190548_zps9f16bfc3.jpg

Japanese knotwood growing through the driveway.  This stuff is no joke

20130531_193252_zps57e4fb50.jpg

The new house after first application of Lesco.  This was once an inground pool that the previous owners filled in. It makes for a fantastic soccer field. The new owners of my old house haven't cut the lawn in 3 weeks. I spent 6 years making an absolutely perfect lawn and they're completely neglecting it.

...Until you're older than age 5.

Nice digs, Mike. Very New England scene you got there.

Thanks, Scott.  If you're ever heading out to GC, stop by.

20130531_191114_zps86a97361.jpg

My new arch-nemeis. Japanese Knotwood.  Nothing a little 50% glyophosphate can't fix.

20130521_190548_zps9f16bfc3.jpg

Japanese knotwood growing through the driveway.  This stuff is no joke

20130531_193252_zps57e4fb50.jpg

Nice.  My wife wants to put in a pool.  I'm reluctant.

Japanese knotweed is the worst.  The area that I reclaimed for lawn has a ton of it.   I'm taking the "long haul" approach to erradicate it.  I repeatedly overseed it and frequently mow.  It seems to be helping.  It keeps the knotweed from getting leaves for photosynthesis and at the same time gets the grass continually thicker.  The approach seems to be making progress, but it's an on-going effort.  About two years now and much better than last.  Still quite a ways to go, though.

Thanks, Scott.  If you're ever heading out to GC, stop by.

Nice.  My wife wants to put in a pool.  I'm reluctant.

Japanese knotweed is the worst.  The area that I reclaimed for lawn has a ton of it.   I'm taking the "long haul" approach to erradicate it.  I repeatedly overseed it and frequently mow.  It seems to be helping.  It keeps the knotweed from getting leaves for photosynthesis and at the same time gets the grass continually thicker.  The approach seems to be making progress, but it's an on-going effort.  About two years now and much better than last.  Still quite a ways to go, though.

The previous owners said the pool was a PITA and expensive. I'm a beach person anyway.

I have a free hayward pool heater if you ever decide to put one in. Sitting right by the shed.

Nice lawn Kev.

It's taken me 9 years to go from a weed/grub infested lawn when I bought the house (photos on the left). Of course this time of year it's easy to have a nice lawn (wait till August). I really don't put much time into it. I mow for about an hour once a week on average and probably fert about 2 or 3 times per year, and really no watering other than setting up the sprinkler for the kids. But that's good enough for me.

On the right is my attempt to establish a lawn up north. It will prolly take a few years, but this is what has grown over the past month. Much slower than I had expected.

post-1709-0-92880500-1370391689_thumb.jp

Nice lawn Kev.

It's taken me 9 years to go from a weed/grub infested lawn when I bought the house (photos on the left). Of course this time of year it's easy to have a nice lawn (wait till August). I really don't put much time into it. I mow for about an hour once a week on average and probably fert about 2 or 3 times per year, and really no watering other than setting up the sprinkler for the kids. But that's good enough for me.

On the right is my attempt to establish a lawn up north. It will prolly take a few years, but this is what has grown over the past month. Much slower than I had expected.

Looks good, Mark.  Unfortunatley for me, I need to spend about 4-5 hours a week mowing.  Usually do it in two shifts over the weekend.

For the new place--is that area getting sun?  Are you watering?  If yes to both, you might want to see about the soil.  Give that there was excavation going on to put in your foundatation/septic, etc., the surface might not have nutrient-rich soil.  If that's the case, I'd recommend getting some loam delivered (and spread!!!).  We got a mix of loam/composted leaves a couple years back.  Worked like a charm

Nice lawn Kev.

Looks great man. It's amazing what a nice, beautiful lush lawn can do for esthetics,peace of mind, and relaxation, and fun for kids. 

Looks great man. It's amazing what a nice, beautiful lush lawn can do for esthetics,peace of mind, and relaxation, and fun for kids. 

Whens the wiffle ball tourney? We will play Frisbee, bring coolers, some lawn chairs,lay out some blankets, maybe even some V ball. Lets put that lawn to man use.

Looks good, Mark.  Unfortunatley for me, I need to spend about 4-5 hours a week mowing.  Usually do it in two shifts over the weekend.

For the new place--is that area getting sun?  Are you watering?  If yes to both, you might want to see about the soil.  Give that there was excavation going on to put in your foundatation/septic, etc., the surface might not have nutrient-rich soil.  If that's the case, I'd recommend getting some loam delivered (and spread!!!).  We got a mix of loam/composted leaves a couple years back.  Worked like a charm

Thanks.

That area gets a lot of mid-day sun. More than my lawn does in Lowell. I put down 20 yards of loam, when spread was about 2 - 3" deep. I raked seed in and applied starter fert. That was in the beginning of May. The sub-soils up there are pretty good for lawns. Not too sandy, not any clay. But I wonder if maybe I should apply more starter fert?

I have it watered 2X per day for about 30 minutes at a time.

My parents used to get so annoyed because every summer we would end up killing the grass where the pitchers mound and batters box were from playing so many wiffle ball games... lol

Thanks.

That area gets a lot of mid-day sun. More than my lawn does in Lowell. I put down 20 yards of loam, when spread was about 2 - 3" deep. I raked seed in and applied starter fert. That was in the beginning of May. The sub-soils up there are pretty good for lawns. Not too sandy, not any clay. But I wonder if maybe I should apply more starter fert?

I have it watered 2X per day for about 30 minutes at a time.

just give it some time, it will fill in. grass seed needs warm soil to grow, but the soil temps have been pretty cool until recently.

Red thread appearing on many lawns with all the moisture. Trick to getting rid of it is fertilizer application and raising the blades higher on the mower . You cut it low and short and the thread will make things look awful

If your mower has a mulcher setting do that as well, the small clippings also help with red thread and other fungal pathogens.

Red thread appearing on many lawns with all the moisture. Trick to getting rid of it is fertilizer application and raising the blades higher on the mower . You cut it low and short and the thread will make things look awful

I was wondering what had invaded my lawn, however I cut as high as I can and fertilize...   i thought my chinch bugs were back, so I also laid down the grubx already...

Since there's no gardening thread, I'll post this in the lawn thread.

300 lbs or bust--the pumpkin is in.  Progress pictures will follow as progress is (if) made.

Pumpkin diaster in eight hours.

Something yanked it out of the ground. Lesson learned:  use manure and not composted food.  I've replanted it, but it's prognosis is as realiable as Kevin's HHH this month. :)

Happy Dad's Day to all the dads out there.

Archived