Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hit it with an app of straight fert

Too late...I hit it over the weekend with step 2...fert plus weed control.  The bag said it was ok as long as I mowed it four times, which I have.  Lets see if it perks up after it got watered in yesterday.  I don't suspect bugs either...just too much rain I guess...

What is one to do about clover? It's taking over the front yard, damn weeds!

I googled it, eats nitrogen, spreading like wildfire. 

if your not opposed to it weed-b-gon, use the concentrate that you can attach to the end of hose

Of the many reasons I despise summer is due to the fact when I cut the lawn or do any kind of work involving plants outdoors, I am guaranteed to get alergic reactions/ rashes all over my legs.  Right now, right on cue as in years past my legs look like they were hit with tiny red land mines.

Sure, some will say that the easy solution is to not wear shorts.  Sounds easy enough, except that my tolerance for heat is really low.  I will sweat to death in 78 degree weather wearing pants and long sleve shirts.  So, in the end I suffer with the land mines, showering immediately after doing lawn chores.  This helps a little bit, but not enough to detur the reactions on my skin. 

I am curious if I am a one off case, or if others deal with this, and what they do to combat the reactions.

Of the many reasons I despise summer is due to the fact when I cut the lawn or do any kind of work involving plants outdoors, I am guaranteed to get alergic reactions/ rashes all over my legs.  Right now, right on cue as in years past my legs look like they were hit with tiny red land mines.

Sure, some will say that the easy solution is to not wear shorts.  Sounds easy enough, except that my tolerance for heat is really low.  I will sweat to death in 78 degree weather wearing pants and long sleve shirts.  So, in the end I suffer with the land mines, showering immediately after doing lawn chores.  This helps a little bit, but not enough to detur the reactions on my skin. 

I am curious if I am a one off case, or if others deal with this, and what they do to combat the reactions.

I can't help you there.  I have go the Jeans route at least for a portion oof it where I'm mowing my path to the beaver pond.  Brushing past heavy bramble and blackberry bushes.  I learned early on that that wearing shorts in that strech makes me look like I had a fight with a couple of barn cats and lost.

The grass for last week's mowing was ridiculously long--expect this week to be similar even though we didn't have the rains that some areas got.

I've been mowing at 3.5" length this summer.....a little shorter than last.  From a distance, it actually looks like a nice lawn. Don't get to close or you'll see blemishes that would have be banished from the burbs (thin spots, insterspersed weeds, etc.)

If you can get Lesco now is the time to put down the Merit application for bugs/ insects and it also has some fert in it too for green up. As far as the holes I would get some screened topsoil and fill them in and then reseed but don't reseed till Sept as you'll just invite weeds in this time if year , ESP in rainforest conditions like we have this year

If you can get Lesco now is the time to put down the Merit application for bugs/ insects and it also has some fert in it too for green up. As far as the holes I would get some screened topsoil and fill them in and then reseed but don't reseed till Sept as you'll just invite weeds in this time if year , ESP in rainforest conditions like we have this year

Thanks, the holes are more than a nuisance...it's a freaking hazard.

Well I'm be damned.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/06/130626113650.htm

June 26, 2013 — Contrary to popular belief, crabgrass does not thrive in lawns, gardens and farm fields by simply crowding out other plants. A new study in ACS' Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry has found that the much-despised weed actually produces its own herbicides that kill nearby plants.

Chui-Hua Kong and colleagues point out that crabgrass is not only a headache for lawns and home gardens, but also a major cause of crop loss on farms. Scientists long suspected, but had a hard time proving, that the weed thrived by allelopathy. From the Greek "allelo-," meaning "other," and "-pathy," meaning "suffering," allelopathy occurs when one plant restricts the growth of another by releasing toxins. They set out to determine if crabgrass has this oppressive ability.

Kong's team isolated three chemicals from crabgrass that affect the microbial communities in nearby soil and did indeed inhibit the growth of staple crops wheat, corn and soybeans. "The chemical-specific changes in [the] soil microbial community generated a negative feedback on crop growth," the scientists said, noting that the chemicals also would have a direct toxic effect on other plants.

The authors acknowledge funding from the National Natural Science Foundation of China.

My lawn looks horrible.  The dry May made my new seed slow to take, only to get half rotted in June and then rapidly burned in July.  Even the existing lawn is burned and matted in many areas.  Yes, yes, I mow at about 3.5" or a little taller....waiting on fall to see what comes back in the new area...

My lawn looks horrible.  The dry May made my new seed slow to take, only to get half rotted in June and then rapidly burned in July.  Even the existing lawn is burned and matted in many areas.  Yes, yes, I mow at about 3.5" or a little taller....waiting on fall to see what comes back in the new area...

Wow--I cant' believe you had burned lawn??  I was just outside thinking at how green things are for mid-July. 

Here are a couple of pictures of the old out-building (it predates the Pit, built in 1799) we resided this week. This is the same structure in my avatar.   It abuts some of the wooded areas that I've been clearing the last few years.  The lawn in front of the open area is part of the wooded overgrowth I cleared out the last couple of years.

Heavy mowing required today.

post-462-0-76669500-1373715263_thumb.jpg

post-462-0-35782500-1373715281_thumb.jpg

Archived