Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not.  Likely should though.  UMass has a testing facility there.

Yeah, Japanese Knotweed is nasty. 

my only suggestion would be roundup, hit it when its young. But with an underground rhizome and stolon mass like it seems to have, it wouldn't kill it more like suppress it. Their is one chemical, actually its discontinued but you may still be able to get it. It's called basimid, pretty sick chemical. It basically pulverizes your soil and kills plant and all microbe activity.

my only suggestion would be roundup, hit it when its young. But with an underground rhizome and stolon mass like it seems to have, it wouldn't kill it more like suppress it. Their is one chemical, actually its discontinued but you may still be able to get it. It's called basimid, pretty sick chemical. It basically pulverizes your soil and kills plant and all microbe activity.

It was about 10 feet high. I cut it all down with a brush cutter. I then hit every stalk with concentrated round up.

2 weeks later I've killed about 1/2 of it. I have 2 ft shoots up.  Hit it again yesterday with the 50% Glyophosphate cut down to 25%

It was about 10 feet high. I cut it all down with a brush cutter. I then hit every stalk with concentrated round up.

2 weeks later I've killed about 1/2 of it. I have 2 ft shoots up.  Hit it again yesterday with the 50% Glyophosphate cut down to 25%

Yea you might get it this year, butthe underground root mass is probably no match for roundup. Sure it may supress it, but i don't think it will totally kill it. We and a lot of other courses down here, not sure if you guys have the same issue up there, fight bermudagrass constantly. Its a big time grassy weed issue and roundup knocks it back for a year or so but it comes right back.

I've also heard about injecting the stalk of it with an herbicide to kill it.

For Tombo. Here are pics of the offending grass.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1375360666394.jpg

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1375360677639.jpg

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1375360766748.jpg

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1375360777901.jpg

And progress on side yard project.

Just started last night.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1375360876651.jpg

Are you familiar with the make up of grass plant like identifying parts of it? It's hard to see specific features in the pictures that you use to distinguish turf. For instance some grasses vernation is folded while others are rolled..does it have auricle or not, is their a ligule present...what kind of sheath does it have? Is it one main midrib like bluegrass, or smaller veins that run through the blade like tall fescue... Does that grass die after first frost or is it green all year long like your lawn?

Are you familiar with the make up of grass plant like identifying parts of it? It's hard to see specific features in the pictures that you use to distinguish turf. For instance some grasses vernation is folded while others are rolled..does it have auricle or not, is their a ligule present...what kind of sheath does it have? Is it one main midrib like bluegrass, or smaller veins that run through the blade like tall fescue... Does that grass die after first frost or is it green all year long like your lawn?

Let me see if I can get a close up blade shot.  I do not recall seeing an auricle on it.  It goes dormant just like the rest of the grass.  And no I'm nit an authority on grass make-up, just what little research I've done on my own. 

my parents yard has a problem with what I thought was kudzu. whatever it is, it is a vine that grows in the woods. it seems to have spread quite a bit in recent years. i helped my dad hit it with Ortho poison ivy/vine killer. it helps, but there are too many plants to keep up with. any suggestions? we don't want to use roundup, as there is too much "good" vegetation around that we don't want to kill

Let me see if I can get a close up blade shot.  I do not recall seeing an auricle on it.  It goes dormant just like the rest of the grass.  And no I'm nit an authority on grass make-up, just what little research I've done on my own. 

when you mean dormant, you mean like it gets dessicated but their is still some green in the plant, basically what tall fescue looks like. Its not like crabgrass or goosegrass that just dies?

Just by going off the pics, and i can't really see much. Knowing its a cool season grass and looking at the blades seeing it has a main midrib like poa species. My guess would be poa trivialis..Though i can't really see a solid ligule like poa triv has...anyways this is what it looks like in a lawn, which is why i think it may be it

pannua1.gif

Monsanto to the rescue!  Big problem with that is that also takes out the grass and essentially makes the soil barren, doesn't it? 

I've take to frequent mowing to limit its ability to photosynthisize.  I read that that's one prong of the multi-pronged efforts.  While i don't bag my clippings (recommended with teh Knotweed), I mow that area in a box pattern with the clippings shooting toward the center.  At least that way I'm pushing any elements into a successively smaller area.

Im an asst. superintendent, i manage the groundskeepers (the laborers). I have a 4 yr degree in turf.

Where did you go to school?

Monsanto to the rescue!  Big problem with that is that also takes out the grass and essentially makes the soil barren, doesn't it? 

I've take to frequent mowing to limit its ability to photosynthisize.  I read that that's one prong of the multi-pronged efforts.  While i don't bag my clippings (recommended with teh Knotweed), I mow that area in a box pattern with the clippings shooting toward the center.  At least that way I'm pushing any elements into a successively smaller area.

Where did you go to school?

yea roundup is a non selective herbicide. It will kill everything it touches. Their is another chemical you could try, its called dicamba. It comes in the ortho herbicides and speedzone, but its mixed with 2-4d and mcp. Try just straight dicamba, its pretty potent and can actually damage some trees.... I went psu for my first 2 years then transferred over to delaware valley college. Its a small private agricultural school for my last 2 years. Been in the golf course industry for 6 years now.

I hate having to wait to overseed. I am itching to do it. Got a little more progress today. Pile of dirt will be placed in the garden I am creating. I have plants around the yard to transplant to it. The blue thing is an old pool I need to discard. Weighs like 300lbs. Not easy to move.

I hate having to wait to overseed. I am itching to do it. Got a little more progress today. Pile of dirt will be placed in the garden I am creating. I have plants around the yard to transplant to it. The blue thing is an old pool I need to discard. Weighs like 300lbs. Not easy to move.

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1375488091501.jpg

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1375488107454.jpg

attachicon.gifuploadfromtaptalk1375488129561.jpg

It'll be great when it's done.  Looks like it gets a good shade--does it manage sun, too?  I love areas that get a good dose of both.  Best looking lawn areas by far in my opinion.

Archived