Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are burrowing tunnels to the point I roll my ankle when I mow. Death to them.

No, but I don't see how they can make such holes if these moles are so tiny. I've seen tiny holes before..these aren't it. BTW, where do you get that poison stuff?

my experiience is that rabbitts dig holes in yards as well, i have the same problem, the only way to get rid of rabbits it to introduce a predator - red tailed hawks work nicely. we have some well fed ones around here, big as condors

I was thinking this weekend is a little too early for overseeding...maybe next weekend?  I was planning on renting one of those power overseeders from Home Depot...has anyone ever used them?  I still have lots of crab grass in the area I need overseed, so should I just seed right through it or do I need to kill it or wait for it to die first?

I was thinking this weekend is a little too early for overseeding...maybe next weekend?  I was planning on renting one of those power overseeders from Home Depot...has anyone ever used them?  I still have lots of crab grass in the area I need overseed, so should I just seed right through it or do I need to kill it or wait for it to die first?

Slit seeder? Well till the crabgrass dies it won't be till you get continuous cool temps to know the soil temperature down, so late september probably. Ideally the best would be to kill it.

Slit seeder? Well till the crabgrass dies it won't be till you get continuous cool temps to know the soil temperature down, so late september probably. Ideally the best would be to kill it.

Yes, something like this:

03.jpg

Even if I kill it, I should wait until late September it sounds like?  That doesn't give it very long to get established does it?

03.jpg

Even if I kill it, I should wait until late September it sounds like?  That doesn't give it very long to get established does it?

I am helping my dad with his this weekend in NH. might be a little early, but it should be fine. Mow it low before you overseed

i have used something like that. They work very well. If you can kill the crab grass that would be best. Is it wall to wall crabgrass or is it just mixed in?

i have used something like that. They work very well. If you can kill the crab grass that would be best. Is it wall to wall crabgrass or is it just mixed in?

i used rendted a HD slit seeder ten years ago on a lawn with lots (75%) of crab grass. can't remember the exact date but it was in september. it worked well, i see only a stray patch here or there now which i promptly pull out by hand , i thatched the lawn beforehand to get as much of the old CG out as i could. need to use a some kind of halts in the spring though to keep the seeds from re-emerging. good luck

i used rendted a HD slit seeder ten years ago on a lawn with lots (75%) of crab grass. can't remember the exact date but it was in september. it worked well, i see only a stray patch here or there now which i promptly pull out by hand , i thatched the lawn beforehand to get as much of the old CG out as i could. need to use a some kind of halts in the spring though to keep the seeds from re-emerging. good luck

Awesome, thanks for the info...hoping I have the same results!

Mostly mixed in, but there are some areas where there is a quite a bit of it.  There also some pure dirt areas...

Exactly, crabgrass can be prevented easily with just a pre emerge. As long as you get grass to germinate around or within the crabgrass areas you will be fine. Next year, put down your pre emerge, and the crabgrass will be gone, and the grass that you got from slit seeding will fill in the areas. Just give it some food in the spring to help it along.

Exactly, crabgrass can be prevented easily with just a pre emerge. As long as you get grass to germinate around or within the crabgrass areas you will be fine. Next year, put down your pre emerge, and the crabgrass will be gone, and the grass that you got from slit seeding will fill in the areas. Just give it some food in the spring to help it along.

one additional suggestion, make sure you have plenty of seed it goes fast

Any ideas what this is in my front yard? It wasn't there yesterday.

It looks like tar but there is no apparent smell. Not only is the septic system in the lower part of the yard but we've never had any problems anyway. It appears to be mostly near the tips of the grass not as much near the ground. There are a couple of smaller spots that almost make a circle about 25' in diameter. In the first picture you can just barely see that.

It's like something landed, dragged their tarry butt in a big circle, then flew away.

post-3918-0-39511900-1377779892_thumb.jp

post-3918-0-63922800-1377779963_thumb.jp

It looks like tar but there is no apparent smell. Not only is the septic system in the lower part of the yard but we've never had any problems anyway. It appears to be mostly near the tips of the grass not as much near the ground. There are a couple of smaller spots that almost make a circle about 25' in diameter. In the first picture you can just barely see that.

It's like something landed, dragged their tarry butt in a big circle, then flew away.

attachicon.gifIMG_1579.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_1578.JPG

Did you watch the epic show LOST?

it looks like the Smoke Monster from LOST paid you a visit. Congrats

Aliens.

I guess from what I'm reading I'd that it's still too early to overseeds, huh? I was thinking of throwing down seed over my whole lawn. How does everybody feel about agway seed?

I'm hoping to get mine done this weekend. This summer has not been overly hot and August has been near perfect. I use Sept 1 as my date when I feel I can overseed safely with daytime temps not too high.

Is the seed a local blend or a standard Agway blend? It's probably just fine.

that looks like animal dung, that was smeered across your yard.. You can see the footprints in your grass. Unless that was yours? My other thought was maybe slime mold.

I'm having 2 large trees removed to keep the neighborly peace. I'm having trouble finding someone. My regular guy has to get help because he's injured. Any tips in the Boston area? A crane will likely be needed and the accessibility is tough because of the cluster of dense population and close together houses.

I'm having 2 large trees removed to keep the neighborly peace. I'm having trouble finding someone. My regular guy has to get help because he's injured. Any tips in the Boston area? A crane will likely be needed and the accessibility is tough because of the cluster of dense population and close together houses.

blakestree.com

Archived