12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not familiar with scotts products really, don't use them. Is their a step 5?  What i do with my lawn, is hit it good with nitrogen labor day weekend, then the first weekend in october...Then on the day after thanksgiving i put down a slow release as my winterizer. Winterizer fertilizer is suppose to be put down after your last mowing after the grass isn't growing. The goal of it is to feed the roots since the soil temperatures are still warm, while your top growth is dormant. This is for my area, which has a warmer climate. So i would shae a week or so off those times frames for your area.

I've got a big time moss problem. The two areas that have it are shady under white pines. The previous owner also did renovations and used the worst soil. 

Should I lime now?

Try limbing the pine trees up to allow some more light in which will help evaporate some of the moisture. Lime won't hurt either. But i would try limbing up first. Moss is caused by low pH, low sunlight, and moisture

Those are oaks, and they are about a thrid changed..mostly near the crown. They already dropped a ton.

Looks solid Scott...this is when you hit it with some good food so the grass can over take the dead crabgrass areas...Looks like some bentgrass on the right side of that picture, might be just how the light is reflecting.

Looks solid Scott...this is when you hit it with some good food so the grass can over take the dead crabgrass areas...Looks like some bentgrass on the right side of that picture, might be just how the light is reflecting.

It might be the light and morning dew. That's part of my backyard and the best looking..lol, but it came a long way. So would a winterizer be too early or you mean just a quick feed? I did weed and feed about 3 weeks ago.

It might be the light and morning dew. That's part of my backyard and the best looking..lol, but it came a long way. So would a winterizer be too early or you mean just a quick feed? I did weed and feed about 3 weeks ago.

You put winterizer down when you are done mowing. Winterizer is to build root growth, you don't want it to make the grass grow, like the top growth, if that makes sense. Soli temperatures lag behind, kind of how ocean temperatures do. So while the top growth is shut off, the root system still grows because the soli temperatures are still semi warm. I doubt you are done mowing yet. So i would hit it with a  quick feeding.

You put winterizer down when you are done mowing. Winterizer is to build root growth, you don't want it to make the grass grow, like the top growth, if that makes sense. Soli temperatures lag behind, kind of how ocean temperatures do. So while the top growth is shut off, the root system still grows because the soli temperatures are still semi warm. I doubt you are done mowing yet. So i would hit it with a  quick feeding.

what would you recommend? i would like something easy to find

Ok cool. Yeah I'm not done mowing probably until November.

Try limbing the pine trees up to allow some more light in which will help evaporate some of the moisture. Lime won't hurt either. But i would try limbing up first. Moss is caused by low pH, low sunlight, and moisture

I'll start with that.  My next years project is operation eradicate white pines.  They're like a supersized version of crabgrass.

Those sets of numbers are tough to find. Closest is like a 28-1-4 or something.

my two cents - think you'd be ok to use any of the fall products now and again when you stop mowing (check out the use instructions and benefits) - you'll get growth , now not just in the root base. they make this stuff idiot proof. you don't have to kill yourself looking for just the right thing

The pool is progressing.  There will be some significantly large areas that will have been transformed in some way or another.  One commonality is none of them will have grass yet.  Is there any benefit of putting down seed at this time of year (in a few weeks) or am I better off just waiting for spring? 

Thanks.

The pool is progressing.  There will be some significantly large areas that will have been transformed in some way or another.  One commonality is none of them will have grass yet.  Is there any benefit of putting down seed at this time of year (in a few weeks) or am I better off just waiting for spring? 

Thanks.

If you get it down today it COULD germinate before the freeze late next week/weekend. Freezes don't hurt new seedlings anyway. If the area gets a lot of sun..you can do it now..though it is getting pretty late to expect much growth.It's tricky

Archived