Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
Your 4th Annual Lawn Thread/ Tickle your Grass

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Recommendations for getting mosquitos, ticks, and other bugs under control around the yard? I had bought Cutter Backyard Bug Control...which is one of those spray bottles that attaches to a hose. The spray bottle was crap...spend an hour spraying this morning and maybe got through 1/3 of the bottle. Looking for another alternative.

Recommendations for getting mosquitos, ticks, and other bugs under control around the yard? I had bought Cutter Backyard Bug Control...which is one of those spray bottles that attaches to a hose. The spray bottle was crap...spend an hour spraying this morning and maybe got through 1/3 of the bottle. Looking for another alternative.

I was at a party in MD a few weeks back.  They had something sprayed at some point prior to the party--I was shocked that there were no mosquitos.  Not sure if they endured the exposure to the chemicals themselves or had someone else do it.  It worked though.

Oddly, they havenot been bad here at the Pit so far this year. 

I replanted my young uprooted pumpkin, and I think it's actually taken.  It's continuing to grow and putting out its true leaves.  Hopefully some big pumpkin times ahead.

I was at a party in MD a few weeks back. They had something sprayed at some point prior to the party--I was shocked that there were no mosquitos. Not sure if they endured the exposure to the chemicals themselves or had someone else do it. It worked though.

Oddly, they havenot been bad here at the Pit so far this year.

I replanted my young uprooted pumpkin, and I think it's actually taken. It's continuing to grow and putting out its true leaves. Hopefully some big pumpkin times ahead.

The reviews for most of the sprays you can get from the hardware store are that they work well...just that the cheap spray bottle they come in work properly 50% of the time at best.

We use the spetracide outdoor yard spray which attaches to a hose, start with 25 feet past the perimeter, concentrate on woods. One thing everyone should do is empty any standing water. Lowes sells at the best price, buy one bottle of spray and a large refill. Two bottles covers my yard, about an acre

We use the spetracide outdoor yard spray which attaches to a hose, start with 25 feet past the perimeter, concentrate on woods. One thing everyone should do is empty any standing water. Lowes sells at the best price, buy one bottle of spray and a large refill. Two bottles covers my yard, about an acre

Thankfully our yard drains well, so no standing water. But we are essentially in the woods, so bugs are always plentiful...standing water or not. I ended up buying Bonide Mosquito Beater...looks like a more natural repellant...smelled like I was spraying liquid Citronella over the yard. We'll see how it does. If results suck, I bought one of those fertilizer/bug spray dispensers that attaches to the hose...so I'll just use that to manually mix what's left of the Cutter brand stuff that I couldn't get to dispense yesterday and spray that around the perimeter. I have a couple of those instant mosquito killer/foggers to use before our get together tomorrow as a last resort to minimize the bugs.

While I haven't really noticed the bugs too much lately...I haven't been out much in the evenings when they should be at their peak...and my middle son somehow ended up with 20-25 bites all over his body...which we have no idea where they came from. He looks like he was eaten alive while the rest of the family doesn't have a bite. I'm thinking something found its way into his bed.

They're expensive, but the propane filled mosquito magnets work exceptionally well.

Yeah I saw those at Ace when I was browsing...but I simply don't have hundreds of dollars lying around for something like that. I can't see something like that being justifiable unless I had a pool that I spent severals hours in and around each day.

• 2 weeks later...

I guess that's the stuff they put on things like highway ramps etc. cheap stuff. I was told that it's sh*t grass. I have some in the front.

Yup exactly we use it on our construction sites for erosion control. I prefer bluegrass in my yard but currently I have about 50/50 of each

I guess that's the stuff they put on things like highway ramps etc. cheap stuff. I was told that it's sh*t grass. I have some in the front.

Are you puttign in new lawn?  Most seed blends will include it--fast growing and will take in many conditions.

Before you know it, we'll have ScooterPit pics in teh lawn thread.

Anybody know anything about fescue grass?

Fescue's have come a long way.  They are drought resistant and disease resistant and like to be cut relatively high.  They are a clump grass that does not spread fast like a bluegrass will.  I am slowly adding more to my lawn since I don't have irrigation in my lawn and rely on nature to water.  Jonathan Green makes a fantastic TTTF product called Black Beauty.

Archived