joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The March 5-7 White Lion Obs/Nowcasting Thread

Ji

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel very lucky that the banding has set up over top of me. Between melting and compaction though, it's not accumulating as fast as you'd think, looking at radar. Have probably only added an inch or so in the past couple of hours

Just eyballing it I would say 6"-8" has probably fallen today but I would be challenged to produce a 4" measurement on the ground.

This is the time now for those around the DC metro and those east could get into some serious banding. Once again, favorable ML lapse rates and solid frontogensis existing to work in tandem with a low undergoing solid cyclogenesis can do wonders. That to go along with the latitudinal progression of the low and the fact that the 850 circulation is making it east of the Ches. on a line extended southward gets you folks into a favorable period. (Expect a mid level drying to aid the conditionally unstable layer that could show up in the next few hours as the winds shift.) 

From this point forward until the evening, expect a chance of thundersnow comparable to what some saw in the ULL on 1/26/11. Snow rates will be a bit less favorable due to the latent heat difficulties, but otherwise, things could get fun if you don't mind verifying under initial forecasts. 

Just eyballing it I would say 6"-8" has probably fallen today but I would be challenged to produce a 4" measurement on the ground.

Yep, seems about right to me. Unfortunately I was too lazy to set up a snow board, so I'm not all that confident in my measurements, but did get between 5.5 and 6 when I went out and measured at noon

Thunder near Cathedral in DC.

<1" on the grass in Cleveland Park.  Sidewalks and streets just wet.  Big flakes starting to come down again

nice. im in CP too, but near CT

Archived