• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

On the UMass radar it's very apparent that at the lowest levels the isallobaric flow is in full force with the isodop oriented almost due west to east, whereas once you get off the deck it's due north to south with the strong easterly flow.   I have set a waveform that yields a nyquist velocity of only 16 m/s and in the last hour or so I'm seeing folding aloft.  Still light winds on the valley floor though.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah we are blowing around here too, no longer very wet snow.

My back deck is nearly clear of snow--there's going to be a heck of a lot of blowing and drifting, especially out toward you with the stronger wind (and snow of course).  The funny thing is that it's not even all that windy yet.  The top I've recorded is 18, though admittedly I don't record that well

20.8/19.

Bummer you already capped yourself at a foot.  Should've held out.

I'm not spiking yet--merely cheering the encouragement.

Wonder if we exceed 25?

I think there's a legit shot.

Amazing part about 1997 for BOS was that the 25.4" fell not just in 24 hours....but almost all of it was in 12 hours. Truly the heaviest 12 hour snowfall some of our area has ever seen.

It's just getting better and better, when does it end? Does the 18z NAM print out ten feet for all??? :) Seriously, at this, point anything can and likely will happen, sit back, it's going to be a wild ride! 2 days ago it was rain to advisory snow down here, now we have 4" OTG, SN to SN+, and close to 2 feet coming in overnight. What a :weenie: storm!!!

-skisheep

Archived

MEZ018>022-024>028-NHZ010-013-090415-

/O.CON.KGYX.BZ.W.0001.130208T2300Z-130209T2100Z/

INTERIOR YORK-INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-

INTERIOR WALDO-COASTAL CUMBERLAND-SAGADAHOC-LINCOLN-KNOX-

COASTAL WALDO-STRAFFORD-INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SANFORD...BERWICK...NORTH WINDHAM...

GORHAM...BRIDGTON...LEWISTON-AUBURN...LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...

WATERVILLE...WINTERPORT...UNITY...PORTLAND...SOUTH PORTLAND...

WESTBROOK...BATH...TOPSHAM...BOOTHBAY HARBOR...WISCASSET...

WALDOBORO...CAMDEN...ROCKLAND...THOMASTON...BELFAST...

LINCOLNVILLE...ROCHESTER...DOVER...SALEM...DERRY...EXETER

308 PM EST FRI FEB 8 2013

...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST SATURDAY...

* LOCATIONS...ANDROSCOGGIN...KENNEBEC...INTERIOR WALDO...AND

INTERIOR CUMBERLAND COUNTIES IN MAINE.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...WITH SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND

DRIFTING. DAMAGING WINDS POSSIBLE LATE TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY

MORNING.

* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF MORE THAN 2 FEET.

* TIMING...LIGHT TO OCCASIONALLY MODERATE SNOW WILL CONTINUE THIS

AFTERNOON...AMOUNTING TO A FEW ADDITIONAL INCHES. CONDITIONS

WILL RAPIDLY DETERIORATE LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE

THROUGH SATURDAY...WITH HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. THE WORST

CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY

MORNING.

* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LOW VISIBILITIES. BLOWING AND

DRIFTING SNOW IS LIKELY. WHITEOUT CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY AT

TIMES. NORTH TO NORTHEASTERLY WINDS MAY BECOME DAMAGING FOR A

TIME LATE TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY RESULTING IN POWER OUTAGES.

* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

* TEMPERATURES...10 TO 24.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Wild night ahead. Stocked booze and wine and will remember forever. Happy Birthday my friend!

Happy BDay Steve, a memorable birthday for you ! 

Thank you all on the board for all your great postings.  You guys are also so educational !!!

Dropped down to 30 here, ready to rock tonight !!!!

My 19Z TrendCast (http://smartwxmodel.net/MA.htm) is updated, my output is holding at 31.8" for in and around Boston, has been between 28-31 for last 4 runs.

Boston Weather Progression for this run:  Continued moderate snow, with winds NE at 23G35Kts, and snow rates of .3 to .5"/hr.  Visby around 1/2 mile.  After 01Z, snow increases with snow rates above 1"/hr, with a zone of 2"/hr snow rates from 04Z to 11Z.  The heaviest snow will occur 06Z to 08Z with 2.6"/hr rates.  Strongest winds will occur from 06Z to 09Z, with gusts up to 47Kts possible.  Again my program is going for 31.8"

Providence Weather Progression:  Continued moderate snow, with winds NE at 20G30Kts.  Visby around 1/2 mile.  After 00Z, snow will rapidly increase to rates of 1"/hr or greater, with a zone of 04Z to 09Z with snow rates of 2"/hr, peaking at 04Z to 06Z of 2.8"/hr.  Snow forecast for the Providence region around 26.5"

ArchivedMEZ018>022-024>028-NHZ010-013-090415-/O.CON.KGYX.BZ.W.0001.130208T2300Z-130209T2100Z/INTERIOR YORK-INTERIOR CUMBERLAND-ANDROSCOGGIN-KENNEBEC-INTERIOR WALDO-COASTAL CUMBERLAND-SAGADAHOC-LINCOLN-KNOX-COASTAL WALDO-STRAFFORD-INTERIOR ROCKINGHAM-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...SANFORD...BERWICK...NORTH WINDHAM...GORHAM...BRIDGTON...LEWISTON-AUBURN...LIVERMORE FALLS...AUGUSTA...WATERVILLE...WINTERPORT...UNITY...PORTLAND...SOUTH PORTLAND...WESTBROOK...BATH...TOPSHAM...BOOTHBAY HARBOR...WISCASSET...WALDOBORO...CAMDEN...ROCKLAND...THOMASTON...BELFAST...LINCOLNVILLE...ROCHESTER...DOVER...SALEM...DERRY...EXETER308 PM EST FRI FEB 8 2013...BLIZZARD WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 4 PM EST SATURDAY...* LOCATIONS...ANDROSCOGGIN...KENNEBEC...INTERIOR WALDO...AND  INTERIOR CUMBERLAND COUNTIES IN MAINE.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW...WITH SIGNIFICANT BLOWING AND  DRIFTING. DAMAGING WINDS POSSIBLE LATE TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY  MORNING.* ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATION OF MORE THAN 2 FEET.* TIMING...LIGHT TO OCCASIONALLY MODERATE SNOW WILL CONTINUE THIS  AFTERNOON...AMOUNTING TO A FEW ADDITIONAL INCHES. CONDITIONS  WILL RAPIDLY DETERIORATE LATE THIS AFTERNOON AND CONTINUE  THROUGH SATURDAY...WITH HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. THE WORST  CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED AFTER MIDNIGHT TONIGHT THROUGH SATURDAY  MORNING.* IMPACTS...SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LOW VISIBILITIES. BLOWING AND  DRIFTING SNOW IS LIKELY. WHITEOUT CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY AT  TIMES. NORTH TO NORTHEASTERLY WINDS MAY BECOME DAMAGING FOR A  TIME LATE TONIGHT INTO SATURDAY RESULTING IN POWER OUTAGES.* WINDS...NORTH 15 TO 25 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 50 MPH.* VISIBILITIES...ONE QUARTER MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.* TEMPERATURES...10 TO 24.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Fire up the sled, Jeff!

Archived