EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very fascinating stuff going on, especially with the multiple areas of low level convergence initiating DMC. Reminds me of plains convection along the dryline in summer.

Looks a bit like the April 14th, 2011 PV bomb, with the arcing band of strong convection in the SE part of that image.

Very fascinating stuff going on, especially with the multiple areas of low level convergence. Reminds me of plains convection along the dryline in summer.

Yeah appears we still have some almost two centers of max vorticity out there. Starting to come together

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=ALB&itype=wv&size=large&endDate=20130208&endTime=-1&duration=8

BOX map updated again.  Looks basically the same but they switched all of E MA back to > 24.

Edit - except for the cape and plymouth county.

Someone better than me at posting can get it up here.

Yeah they trimmed back here and that's a good idea I think and they may need to go more here.  Knocked 6" off the bottom.

Looks like vs the 9am map they trimmed to the west and southwest some too.

They've got me in the 14-18/ 18-24 line.  I feel pretty good about 9-12, we'll see.

Old map vs new map

post-3232-0-20240500-1360351766_thumb.pn

post-3232-0-36567600-1360351910_thumb.pn

Looks a bit like the April 14th, 2011 PV bomb, with the arcing band of strong convection in the SE part of that image.

Pretty close, but not quite as cool:)  Probably because that was the single best looking plains cyclone I have seen in years. Absolutely slaughtered western NE where I was at the time. A classic example of extreme PV stretching leeside of the Rockies and moist convection greatly enhancing synoptic cyclogenesis.

post-999-0-89098200-1360351890_thumb.png

can someone post the link to the box maps? I can never find them on the site. Thanks in advance!

Yeah - they don't make it easy.  Easiest way to find them.  Go to the main BOX site and then find a heading above the map that's in all caps "LOTS OF SNOW".  Click on it.  Also - its usually the same link:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/box/StormTotalSnow/index.php#

Archived