12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Probably about 1/2 mile visibility, but the snow is mostly a slowly accumulating pixie dust. Probably between 1/2 and 1 inch, but I haven't measured yet. Downsloping has been an issue all afternoon, but it's not as bad now as it was earlier. Winds are gusting over 25 MPH.

This radar capture shows the downslope areas nicely west of the mountains, especially that area immediately west of Mt. Greylock and the Taconics. Look just west of the MA, VT, NY triple point. They're probably just flurries there right now.

These same areas will get enhancement in a NW flow situation.

post-48-0-58900300-1360362129_thumb.png

7fnt.gif?1360362121543

First band from the main system getting going across southern NH now, associated with some H7 frontogenesis. PSM has been +SN for a while now.

Roger Edwards issuing winter weather MCDs, it seriously doesn't get better.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0124.html

MESOSCALE DISCUSSION 0124   NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK   0351 PM CST FRI FEB 08 2013      AREAS AFFECTED...SRN NEW ENGLAND...LONG ISLAND AND SRN NY...FAR NERN   NJ      CONCERNING...HEAVY SNOW       VALID 082151Z - 090145Z      SUMMARY...SNOWFALL RATES ARE EXPECTED TO INCREASE MARKEDLY THIS   EVENING ...WITH RATES OF 1-2 INCHES PER HR OVER SRN NY/NERN NJ...TO   2-3 INCHES ACROSS SRN NEW ENGLAND. ADDITIONALLY...STRENGTHENING   WINDS MAY RESULT IN LOCALIZED BLIZZARD CONDITIONS...ESPECIALLY NEAR   THE COAST.      DISCUSSION...SFC OBS FROM 21Z CONTINUE TO REFLECT A RAPIDLY   DEEPENING OFFSHORE CYCLONE...WITH PRESSURE FALLS OF 3-4 MB/HR   OBSERVED. RADAR REFLECTIVITY MOSAIC SHOWS HIGHER PRECIPITATION RATES   ARE BEGINNING TO SPREAD INLAND ACROSS LONG ISLAND AND TOWARDS RI/SRN   MA/SRN CT. HOWEVER...SOME BRIGHT-BAND ENHANCEMENT MAY BE OCCURRING   AS MIXED P-TYPE OF RAIN AND/OR SNOW IS PREDOMINANT ACROSS LONG   ISLAND...WHERE SFC TEMPERATURES ARE CURRENTLY RANGING FROM 33-35 F.   INITIALLY...NEAR- OR ABOVE-FREEZING TEMPERATURES MAY SUPPRESS RATES   IMMEDIATELY ALONG THE COAST...BUT WITH LOW-LEVEL COLD ADVECTION   INCREASING AS THE CYCLONE TRACKS N-NE...A CHANGEOVER TO   PREDOMINANTLY SNOW IS EXPECTED WITHIN THE NEXT 2-3 HRS ACROSS MOST   OF THE HIGHLIGHTED AREA.      SNOWFALL RATES WILL BE INCREASING IN CONCERT WITH INTENSE ISENTROPIC   LIFT AND LOW-LEVEL FRONTOGENESIS WITHIN A DEFORMATION ZONE.   ADDITIONALLY...AN UPSTREAM SHORTWAVE UPPER TROUGH /LOCATED OVER THE   UPPER OH VALLEY PER 2130Z WATER VAPOR IMAGERY/ IS FORECAST TO PHASE   WITH THE OFFSHORE DEEP-LAYER CYCLONE. AS THIS OCCURS...THE   COMBINATION OF STRONG MIDLEVEL HEIGHT FALLS AND UPPER DIVERGENCE   WITHIN A COUPLED UPPER JET STRUCTURE WILL CONTRIBUTE TO INCREASING   DEEP-LAYER ASCENT. FORECAST MODEL SOUNDINGS SHOW A NEARLY SATURATED   COLUMN WITH A DEEP ISOTHERMAL LAYER LOCATED BENEATH THE DENDRITIC   GROWTH ZONE. THESE FACTORS WILL BE FAVORABLE FOR EXTREMELY HIGH   SNOWFALL RATES...ESPECIALLY FROM ERN LONG ISLAND INTO SRN NEW   ENGLAND...INCLUDING THE BOSTON METRO AREA...AS SUPPORTED BY THE   RECENT SUITE OF HIGH-RESOLUTION NUMERICAL GUIDANCE.      ..ROGERS.. 02/08/2013         ATTN...WFO...GYX...BOX...OKX...ALY...PHI...      LAT...LON   41487041 41157173 40917237 40527347 40487426 40887445               41967427 42867373 43097258 43197147 43017087 42627073               42117042 41487041 

post-999-0-91126200-1360362711_thumb.gif

I guess my overall point was we're still ripping at 12z according to that. I do like how it quickly breaks things up around 16z, probably more realistic that the rest of the guidance saying we hang on to snow until 00z.

I was just getting IMBY and Eek beat me to it anyways. How much do you guys have at GYX?

Do you have any sense as to how much Bath/Brunswick area have received so far?  I can't find a link to the spotter reports on the GYX site.

Thanks.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=GYX&product=PNS&format=CI&version=1&glossary=0&highlight=off

It's buried in our winter weather page features, but anywhere between 6 and 8" I would say.

Really winding up now, check out this large vapor loop

http://weather.rap.ucar.edu/satellite/displaySat.php?region=ALB&itype=wv&size=large&endDate=20130208&endTime=-1&duration=4

About 9mb the last two hours SE of the Cape

http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=44008&unit=M&tz=STN

15z SREFs look pretty reasonable to me with the 2" contour.

post-3232-0-23948100-1360364153_thumb.gi

Archived