joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Frontogenesis basically measures the change in temperature over a period of time as well as distance.  If this case we are seeing solid red lines which indicates that the temperature gradient (change in temperature) is increasing with time.  This is indicative that the coastal front associated with this system is strengthening or a new one could perhaps form (if there isn't one already).  The more contours you have = greater temperature gradient over a given time/distance = the stronger the lift associated with the front = heavier the snowfall rates.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  Much appreciated & very insightful.

on another note..LOL at the blizzard warning from 6am today on...nothing resembling blizzard conditions until maybe later today...

So you are saying they should start the warning at the time the blizzard conditions are actually occurring?

I'm pretty sure it works similar to hurricane/tropical storm warnings, in that they are issued well prior to impact.

on another note..LOL at the blizzard warning from 6am today on...nothing resembling blizzard conditions until maybe later today...

Upton said they did that cause they didn't want to go with a WS Warning through this afternoon, and then upgrade to blizzard- so just launched a blizzard.  That's what Craig Allen said on WCBS 880 earlier this morning. He seemed a bit frustrated about that.

AWT

@GovMalloyOffice: Gov. Malloy will be declaring a State of Emergency in preparation for the coming blizzard. #CTStorm

Do you think the state gets shut down?

He's gonna shut the state down. Whatever that means.

Thats what a state of emergency is

No it's not. Nothing is getting shut down at noon. 

A State of Emergency is an Executive Order which means the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ), in this case the State of Connecticut, to switch from normal to emergency operations.  It actives the Emergency Operations Plan (EOP) for the state and afford more authority to emergency management / public safety staff.  In some states, and I cannot vouch for Connecticut, restrictions on purchases (i.e.:  salt, generators, food) are not as severe to enhance the ability of emergency management officials to acquire the necessary material resources to combat the incident.  It also allows emergency essential staff to be recalled and travel can be restricted in the event of a catastrophic emergency,  Source:  I work in emergency management. 

i'm trying to keep my pants on but it's hard

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/4kmwrf/index.php

go to total qpf. don't shift

3+ from salem ma out to burlingotn down to framingham and NW ri and E. RI/ to s. shore to E plymouth county bullsyeye 3.75-4.25. Mid level fronto banding signal NOT shown in Western SNE.

And what for NE CT?

i'm trying to keep my pants on but it's hard

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/4kmwrf/index.php

go to total qpf. don't shift

3+ from salem ma out to burlingotn down to framingham and NW ri and E. RI/ to s. shore to E plymouth county bullsyeye 3.75-4.25. Mid level fronto banding signal NOT shown in Western SNE.

Oh my god... Just saw that and almost passed out. 2" here, and the numbers east are just INSANE

-skisheep

Archived