joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 8-9th Blizzard Thread

dryslot

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somewhere down around the PHL area there is a fledgling meteorologist winter weather fanatic that doesn't quite yet fully get the nuances of the weather, much less the idiosyncratic nature of the model behaviors attempting to predict its vagaries.   He or she just knows that 2 cycles ago, the NAM had close to 3" of liq equiv QPF for PHL, and now, for the 6 hour intervals, the NAM has reduced their totals to .15 + .08 + .16 + .16, then ending.  Also, busting too cold (meaning they are raining now) to add to that insult.   ...Meanwhile, winter storm warnings are flying.  

I cannot imagine the scale of abject frustration, torture, and ...ire, raging in that individuals mind right now.  Man, if there ever needed to be a proof of satan... that apoplexy probably couldn't more elaborately hone in on the necessary evidence.   

i'm trying to keep my pants on but it's hard

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/btv/html/4kmwrf/index.php

go to total qpf. don't shift

3+ from salem ma out to burlingotn down to framingham and NW ri and E. RI/ to s. shore to E plymouth county bullsyeye 3.75-4.25. Mid level fronto banding signal NOT shown in Western SNE.

Holy hell! Jeez how accurate would you say that'll be?

24+ area is getting larger...............

attachicon.gifStormTotalSnowFcst 020913.png

Yes I am now in it!  Are you?  Well at least  you have the BW.  

I'm nervous as hell though and sometimes I don't believe it.  I am having mini weenie meltdowns as I look at that heavy snow over coastal Maine and the 1/2 inch that I have.  It is irrational I know but I can't help it.

Where's the storm now?  Strength?  Does anyone have a latest surface analysis?

RAP still looks very good.  IMO it's done a fair job so far. No real changes on it from everyones expectation.

pmsl.gif?1360343037883

Pressure down nice and far.

Now when you're looking for a phase, are you looking for the isobars to touch both streams like they are starting to do in that frame? 

We have four flakes of snow here in Bennington as of noon.

I think this storm will bust big time for western parts of New England. I'll be surprised if we get more than 6".

Never fails. Whenever we're supposed to get a big storm, we get sleet. And whenever a storm has a chance of hugging the coast, it goes over the benchmark and we get fringed.

Oh well.. enjoy your snow, easterners. :)

amazing

BI sorry to do this but if you were forecasting, what would your highest amounts be for E New england

Oh gosh, good question. I am not a local expert on the terrain, nor do I have a well defined climatology in my head like ORH and many others here regarding SNE. I just love tracking these. That said, I am impressed with what I am seeing thus far this morning. Only negative is it may be deepening too rapidly and stalling just a tad as convection wraps ahead of the upper level PV anomaly. That may tend to slow this down a tad. The heavy dump comes as convective cells initiating along the occlusion/trough axis and wrap into the WCB/deform band. Unfortunately that is over water. The positive is the stretching deformation/upper level frontogenesis that will occur later over SNE may be epic, and the NAM may not be too far off once the phase completes. In fact, the NAM is simulating one of the most hellacious episodes of upper level frontogenesis I have ever seen...so much so it is actually forming upper level PV as large amounts of LH is released aloft above the front. Can't say I have ever even seen such a thing. NAM is too wet though, way too wet. Not realistic to have the same precip over SNE as there currently is over the Gulf Stream. Even with dendritic growth, hard to survive in high ratios when 70 MPH northeasterly winds are ripping them apart. There is an outside shot at 30" if both the decaying convective comma head and then the upper level frontal band manage to stall over the same region similar to the NAM depiction. And believe it or not, there is reason to believe the NAM is not completely off its rocker like most think. But the stars need to align. I am definitely not afraid of an east track at this point, though.

pmsl.gif?1360343037883

Pressure down nice and far.

Now when you're looking for a phase, are you looking for the isobars to touch both streams like they are starting to do in that frame? 

My hope is as the storm bombs it slows faster than some of the latest guidance shows.  We keep discounting the NAM, at some point it should get this right...12 hours seems to be it's sweet spot :)

The RUC seems very reasonable to me.  Rap whatever its called now.  Not focusing on QPF, just the overall track.

post-3232-0-47263300-1360343280_thumb.gi

Yes I am now in it!  Are you?  Well at least  you have the BW.  

I'm nervous as hell though and sometimes I don't believe it.  I am having mini weenie meltdowns as I look at that heavy snow over coastal Maine and the 1/2 inch that I have.  It is irrational I know but I can't help it.

Its just to my south, Not really concerned, I would be more then happy with the low end of 18", My call has been 12-20" here, Will wait to see the 12z Euro then adjust up if need be............. :)

Archived