• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

Well this winter is official worse then last winter so far when it comes to snow. 3.9" total so far (0.3" of sleet included) Last year at this time there was a Wyoming that put down down 6.5" of snow.  8.6" through the 13th this time last season.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This winter is major suckage just like last year. Torch periods and cold dry periods. This blows and will be ranked the same if Feb and the 1st half march do not deliver.

The suckage part is a matter of opinion. It is what it is....we had a 3-week period of snowcover, we didnt come close to it last year at any point. We basically are where we should be at this point for snowcover and for ME that trumps snowfall, and its certainly on pace to smash last year. Yeah, it was boring, but remember last winter it would snow and melt a few days later, leading to a newly coined term on here - stat-padding. So...I guess its the reverse when you have a snowy 5-day stretch followed by 2 weeks of boring but snowcovered ground? I guess we will call that stat-minimizing? I mean if winter completely goes awol then Id put this at or worse than last year, but not even at mid-winter Id say chances are WAY high this winter is better than last. How much better remains to be seen. Speaking of last year, when the hell did we have cold and dry periods? :lol: Like, never haha.

Nothing but rain the last two days and now my entire 15 day GFS forecast calls for only 0.27".  I am slowly leaving the neutral camp and heading for the complaint thread.  At this rate I won't hit 10" for the winter.

I don't know how you lasted as long as you did. I was sick of it when system 5 fell apart, system 6 went northwest and gave us rain, and system 7 missed to the southeast and dumped on the Detroit area. Then it repeated again.

I remember the 90s as better than last winters and this one so far! I think it was 1995-1996 wasn't too shabby at all.

Winters the 2nd half of the 1990s generally sucked in our region. Below normal seasonal snowfalls and no major storms (until 1999 that is). January was a solid winter month and we seemed to always get a late March snowstorm, but Dec & Feb were mild with very light snow. Speaking for SE MI only not sure of other areas. I can tell you that 1995-96 was the ridiculous Detroit-Chicago shaft of cold, dry when all directions around us got heavy snowfall.

Last year was worse than those 1990s winters (closest would be 1997-98) but it was coming after an unprecedentedly snowy 4-year stretch, so I give it a pass. The bad stretch of 1990s winters did not come after nearly as much snowiness. This winter is not even half over so I cannot and will not make any assumptions as to what category it fits in, especially given indications of a lot of cold coming up. IF we end up with above normal snowcover, regardless of how much snow falls, it gets a good grade in my book.

Winters the 2nd half of the 1990s generally sucked in our region. Below normal seasonal snowfalls and no major storms (until 1999 that is). January was a solid winter month and we seemed to always get a late March snowstorm, but Dec & Feb were mild with very light snow. Speaking for SE MI only not sure of other areas. I can tell you that 1995-96 was the ridiculous Detroit-Chicago shaft of cold, dry when all directions around us got heavy snowfall.

Last year was worse than those 1990s winters (closest would be 1997-98) but it was coming after an unprecedentedly snowy 4-year stretch, so I give it a pass. The bad stretch of 1990s winters did not come after nearly as much snowiness. This winter is not even half over so I cannot and will not make any assumptions as to what category it fits in, especially given indications of a lot of cold coming up. IF we end up with above normal snowcover, regardless of how much snow falls, it gets a good grade in my book.

I don't remember all the 90s winter before 1995-1996 very well. But as far as crappy winters that I can remember, last year was ftw. This year around here ranks up there with 2002-2003 for dryness. I know you can't compare this winter yet to anything. It sure would be nice to have a back loaded winter so we have something that resembles the previous four winters before last years disaster! I'm remaining positive about a pick up in moisture in general because I do not want to experience last years heat all over again combined with dryness.

Regardless of what kind of winter the second half is, this winter will not get a good grade from me. The only thing that will change that is if it turns into one of those winters where we can get 75 inches in one month. (lake effect, obviously).

Regardless of what kind of winter the second half is, this winter will not get a good grade from me. The only thing that will change that is if it turns into one of those winters where we can get 75 inches in one month. (lake effect, obviously).

My thoughts as well. There's been months where I've gotten up to 45" in one month. Of course that would be Dec. 2000. So getting to normal snowfall or even above normal is still possible this winter.

Each winter month + March for heaviest snowfall since 98-99 goes like this: Dec 2000: 45.1", Jan 99: 40.2", Feb 2008: 36.4", Mar 2008: 22.3".

If the winter continues with a similar trend of warmth and general patterns of snowstorms missing NW and SE, Milwaukee may be in jeopardy of setting their seasonal futility record.  Yes, I feel it is still possible, though eminently unlikely.  I do not want to root on that futility record, especially following a year that was subpar for snow.

I don't know how you lasted as long as you did. I was sick of it when system 5 fell apart, system 6 went northwest and gave us rain, and system 7 missed to the southeast and dumped on the Detroit area. Then it repeated again.

I was hoping to at least see some glaze on the trees this morning.  There's absolutely nothing that spells futility more than a light rain at 36 degrees all night.  Couldn't even manage a backside dusting for f*** sake.  I think I saw two snowflakes this afternoon.

If the winter continues with a similar trend of warmth and general patterns of snowstorms missing NW and SE, Milwaukee may be in jeopardy of setting their seasonal futility record.  Yes, I feel it is still possible, though eminently unlikely.  I do not want to root on that futility record, especially following a year that was subpar for snow.

Might as well root for "most unremarkable and lame in every single way".  The only thing remarkable about last winter was the March heat wave that was technically bordering on winter by the calendar.

Honestly as long as the Great White North maintains its snow pack I don't care how the rest of this winter goes. That snow pack however is a key ingredient for spring severe weather and the clashing of the air masses, something that was lacking last spring except late in February and early in March.

Astounding change in the model guidance over the past 48 hours. Essentially, it's arctic outbreak cancel. Have to feel bad for the snowmobilers and ice fishers.

The guidance looks cold enough to make ice with the exception of southern areas later this week for a couple of days. It might not show the historic arctic outbreak it did before but did anyone really think that was going to happen as modeled? It's not a snowy pattern but I wouldn't exactly call it a warm pattern in Toronto.

12z GFS looks like a nightmare. Snow misses to the south, some cold, snow misses to the north, some more cold. What an absolute cluster****. Just give me back the 50s if it's going to be this garbage.

This, but it really doesn't matter.  The weather is doing its best troll impression for most of us.

Honestly as long as the Great White North maintains its snow pack I don't care how the rest of this winter goes. That snow pack however is a key ingredient for spring severe weather and the clashing of the air masses, something that was lacking last spring except late in February and early in March.

+1

Archived