joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Winters the 2nd half of the 1990s generally sucked in our region. Below normal seasonal snowfalls and no major storms (until 1999 that is). January was a solid winter month and we seemed to always get a late March snowstorm, but Dec & Feb were mild with very light snow. Speaking for SE MI only not sure of other areas. I can tell you that 1995-96 was the ridiculous Detroit-Chicago shaft of cold, dry when all directions around us got heavy snowfall.

Last year was worse than those 1990s winters (closest would be 1997-98) but it was coming after an unprecedentedly snowy 4-year stretch, so I give it a pass. The bad stretch of 1990s winters did not come after nearly as much snowiness. This winter is not even half over so I cannot and will not make any assumptions as to what category it fits in, especially given indications of a lot of cold coming up. IF we end up with above normal snowcover, regardless of how much snow falls, it gets a good grade in my book.

The 1990s were pretty good for Toronto. Only two winters with sub-40" snowfall (1991-92 and 1994-95). Four 60"+ winters (1992-93, 1993-94, 1996-97 and 1998-99). A 50"+ winter in 1995-96 and 46" in 1997-78 during the strong El Nino. Lots of cold snaps, especially February/March 1993, January-March 1994 and February 1995.

The EURO and GFS have been bouncing around with this polar vortex idea of dropping into the GL for some time now. Some of this weekends runs showed it, now it doesn't this morning. So who knows whats going to happen with it. We do know that the stratospheric vortex has split all the way down and the propagation of the of warmer air is going well. 

Winters the 2nd half of the 1990s generally sucked in our region. Below normal seasonal snowfalls and no major storms (until 1999 that is). January was a solid winter month and we seemed to always get a late March snowstorm, but Dec & Feb were mild with very light snow. Speaking for SE MI only not sure of other areas. I can tell you that 1995-96 was the ridiculous Detroit-Chicago shaft of cold, dry when all directions around us got heavy snowfall.

Last year was worse than those 1990s winters (closest would be 1997-98) but it was coming after an unprecedentedly snowy 4-year stretch, so I give it a pass. The bad stretch of 1990s winters did not come after nearly as much snowiness. This winter is not even half over so I cannot and will not make any assumptions as to what category it fits in, especially given indications of a lot of cold coming up. IF we end up with above normal snowcover, regardless of how much snow falls, it gets a good grade in my book.

I don't remember all the 90s winter before 1995-1996 very well. But as far as crappy winters that I can remember, last year was ftw. This year around here ranks up there with 2002-2003 for dryness. I know you can't compare this winter yet to anything. It sure would be nice to have a back loaded winter so we have something that resembles the previous four winters before last years disaster! I'm remaining positive about a pick up in moisture in general because I do not want to experience last years heat all over again combined with dryness.

November's were colder in the 1990's, but there were many brown Christmas's and 7 inches was a major storm. I never cracked 12 inched in Howell from the day I moved here, until 2000.... Jan 1999 was a 7 inch disappointment.

The 1990s were pretty good for Toronto. Only two winters with sub-40" snowfall (1991-92 and 1994-95). Four 60"+ winters (1992-93, 1993-94, 1996-97 and 1998-99). A 50"+ winter in 1995-96 and 46" in 1997-78 during the strong El Nino. Lots of cold snaps, especially February/March 1993, January-March 1994 and February 1995.

Yeah, the 1990s were pretty good. 1991-92 was barely a sub 40" (38.0"). The only real clunker was 1994-95. 2000s started off promising, aside from 2001-02, but it's quickly gone downhill from there. In fact, since 2005-06, the only above normal snowfall winter at downtown Toronto was 2007-08. Although, I wouldn't say that's representative of all of Toronto, as 2008-09/2010-11 were very good out here in the suburbs.

Honestly as long as the Great White North maintains its snow pack I don't care how the rest of this winter goes. That snow pack however is a key ingredient for spring severe weather and the clashing of the air masses, something that was lacking last spring except late in February and early in March.

It is nice to see a met confirm what I was wondering wrt this spring's svr wx season. +2

Yeah, the 1990s were pretty good. 1991-92 was barely a sub 40" (38.0"). The only real clunker was 1994-95. 2000s started off promising, aside from 2001-02, but it's quickly gone downhill from there. In fact, since 2005-06, the only above normal snowfall winter at downtown Toronto was 2007-08. Although, I wouldn't say that's representative of all of Toronto, as 2008-09/2010-11 were very good out here in the suburbs.

It seems to me that we do much better under a +PDO/+PNA pattern compared to a -PDO/-PNA. Ever since 2007, it's been either a winter with lots of snow (2007-08, 2008-09 and 2010-11 to a degree) or a lack of snow (2009-10 and 2011-12). The general pattern of the Pacific was much better in the 1990s and early 2000s and that helped offset a bad Atlantic (1993-94 is a prime example).

Honestly as long as the Great White North maintains its snow pack I don't care how the rest of this winter goes. That snow pack however is a key ingredient for spring severe weather and the clashing of the air masses, something that was lacking last spring except late in February and early in March.

I'll be annoyed if the soil moisture is really low over the Southern Plains and Mississippi Valley yet again again.  I don't know what good strong northern jet dynamics will do if the gulf moisture keeps "mixing out" on it's long journey north like last year.  A deeper snowpack over the expanse of the Rockies would also help.  I think that might have helped make the spring of 2011 especially violent

I'll be annoyed if the soil moisture is really low over the Southern Plains and Mississippi Valley yet again again. I don't know what good strong northern jet dynamics will do if the gulf moisture keeps "mixing out" on it's long journey north like last year. A deeper snowpack over the expanse of the Rockies would also help. I think that might have helped make the spring of 2011 especially violent

Well the recent heavy rains across much of the Western/Central Gulf Coast and Lower MS Valley should help with that (and quite frankly the precip has been quite plentiful across this area all Winter long so far), and the snow pack images speak for themselves, I think. While there is less snow further east than 2011, the snow pack out towards the Rockies and up north in the Prairies/Northern Plains is easily as expansive...if not moreso than 2011, in addition to being deeper in the Prairies.

1/15/11 snow pack:

nsmdepth2011011505natio.jpg

1/15/12 snow pack:

nsmdepth2012011505natio.jpg

1/15/13 snow pack:

nsmdepth2013011505natio.jpg

Well the recent heavy rains across much of the Western/Central Gulf Coast and Lower MS Valley should help with that (and quite frankly the precip has been quite plentiful across this area all Winter long so far), and the snow pack images speak for themselves, I think. While there is less snow further east than 2011, the snow pack out towards the Rockies and up north in the Prairies/Northern Plains is easily as expansive...if not moreso than 2011, in addition to being deeper in the Prairies.

1/15/11 snow pack:

nsmdepth2011011505natio.jpg

1/15/12 snow pack:

nsmdepth2012011505natio.jpg

1/15/13 snow pack:

nsmdepth2013011505natio.jpg

FYI, the current map looks bogus.

Mid MS Valley at least. It could be correct elsewhere.

Yeah, I think there probably isn't a whole lot remaining there, but for the rest, generally the key areas when looking for cold into the Central/Eastern portions of the country and access to clash with a Gulf air mass, it looks adequate for now.

Kind of disheartening to see SNE get a semi-thumping after it was almost 60 here this weekend.

Their winter has kind of sucked though, it would be worse if they were getting burried.

Anyways, with the next 7-10 days likely to deliver nothing more than moisture starved clippers...it looks quite likely we'll be heading into the last quality month of winter with a sub 4" total and a zonal flow.

Their winter has kind of sucked though, it would be worse if they were getting burried.

Anyways, with the next 7-10 days likely to deliver nothing more than moisture starved clippers...it looks quite likely we'll be heading into the last quality month of winter with a sub 4" total and a zonal flow.

Sometimes I lose my head and think that the weenie inflated number in CT_Blizz's sig is actually a reflection of how SNE has done. BOS is only at ~3.5" on the season or so.   

Sometimes I lose my head and think that the weenie inflated number in CT_Blizz's sig is actually a reflection of how SNE has done. BOS is only at ~3.5" on the season or so.   

yep, total disaster season over there as well...the 3.5" number for Boston is just as awful as Chicago's number

looks like 3-4 days of a typical midwinter coldsnap next week....maybe some near to below zero lows and highs in the low teens at it's peak.   I bet we don't set a single record during it though.   Nothing memorable or outlandish.   The GFS already has us raining by next friday.   I have a feeling by late next week all of the hype this coming arctic plunge had received in the media over the last 2 weeks will have been nothing more than a lot of lolz.

After that we go back to seasonal and zonal...but at least we might be able to start hunting for storms again.  I can't remember a more quiet, sustained  wx period during the heart of winter.   

looks like 3-4 days of a typical midwinter coldsnap next week....maybe some near to below zero lows and highs in the low teens at it's peak.   I bet we don't set a single record during it though.   Nothing memorable or outlandish.   The GFS already has us raining by next friday.   I have a feeling by late next week all of the hype this coming arctic plunge had received in the media over the last 2 weeks will have been nothing more than a lot of lolz.

After that we go back to seasonal and zonal...but at least we might be able to start hunting for storms again.  I can't remember a more quiet, sustained  wx period during the heart of winter.   

Correction: quiet, sustained boring pattern for TWO years...atleast in these parts....

Well, the Grand Rapids/Muskegon bubble held strong today. Band after band just went "poof" right before getting to Muskegon. We can't even get a dusting to an inch of snow. This winter is making me go gray.

At least they were dead by the time they got here.  I didn't have the heartbreak of watching them die right before me like you did today.

At least they were dead by the time they got here. I didn't have the heartbreak of watching them die right before me like you did today.

Hah...so true. They looked really good on radar and then wouldn't move past northern Muskegon County. Just kept going through the shredder. Another "inch or less" down the drain. Total snowfall for the season: 8 inches + 100 pencil point snowflakes per sq. foot + 20 or lesses.

Archived