• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

Doh! Thought you had at least one this winter! How much did you get on that February 26-27th storm?

IF that is the one i am thinking of the total was 5-5.5"?  Slop storm? Have to go back to GHD for the last 6+ event here. ;)

That can be true, but with FNT, LAN, TOL, CLE, and MFD all missing out, that's a pretty good sample size of first order stations for the area stretching from South Central Michigan into Northern Ohio. 

Now here is the thing Jackson has seen one ( 7.3" if i am not mistaken? )  and a couple of others. It is really scattered. Just been one of those years.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IF that is the one i am thinking of the total was 5-5.5"?  Slop storm? Have to go back to GHD for the last 6+ event here. ;)

Now here is the thing Jackson has seen one ( 7.3" if i am not mistaken? )  and a couple of others. It is really scattered. Just been one of those years.

As well...Detroit saw 6-8" over the heart of the metro area and E/NE suburbs on Dec 26-27. TOL/CLE/MFD all easily were supposed to exceed 6" with that storm and we were not. The weather does what it wants. Actually...TECHNICALLY DTW has had 2 storms of 6"+, because the Feb 26-28 total snowfall is 7.1", even though it fell over like 35-40 hours and the depth never exceeded 5" (and was down to 2" of crust on Mar 1st), it was the same L pressure, same storm, from a stat-standpoint whether anyone likes it or not, it was a 6" storm. Only the Dec 26/27 storm had 6"+ in a 24-hour period though.

As well...Detroit saw 6-8" over the heart of the metro area and E/NE suburbs on Dec 26-27. TOL/CLE/MFD all easily were supposed to exceed 6" with that storm and we were not. The weather does what it wants. Actually...TECHNICALLY DTW has had 2 storms of 6"+, because the Feb 26-28 total snowfall is 7.1", even though it fell over like 35-40 hours and the depth never exceeded 5" (and was down to 2" of crust on Mar 1st), it was the same L pressure, same storm, from a stat-standpoint whether anyone likes it or not, it was a 6" storm. Only the Dec 26/27 storm had 6"+ in a 24-hour period though.

Yea that does not count in My book...;)

Yea that does not count in My book... ;)

We had probably 10+ snowfalls this season that felt/looked more wintry than that one...but in the books that matter, ie the weather books, it counts. Its gonna KILL me when I update my snowstorms lists and such to see that that is the biggest storm of the 2012-13 season (7.1"), with Dec 26/27 (6.2") at number 2. there is not even a COMPARISON between the two storms lol, but thats how weather works.

Toronto officially had 2 6"+ snowstorms this winter (6.5" on Dec 26-27, 14.4" on Feb 7-8). I guess it's 3 if you count Feb 7-8 twice :lol: Seriously though, after experiencing just 1 6"er in the preceding 3 winters, it was nice to get back to climo.  

Detroit officially had 5 in the preceding 3 winters (2 in 09-10, 3 in 10-11, 0 in 11-12) ....I still cant believe what a stretch it was for Toronto. And I

TOLD you it would change!

The current rolling 10-year period (2003-04 thru 2012-13) has seen 19 storms of 6"+. The only rolling period on record with more was 1972-73 thru 1982-82 with 20.

Looking at the past 100 years in 20-year increments..you can clearly see the good and the bad times for snowstorms here

29 from 1993-94 thru 2012-13

29 from 1973-74 thru 1992-93 

8 from 1953-54 thru 1972-73 

6 from 1933-34 thru 1952-53

26 from 1913-14 thru 1932-33

It comes out to a neat and tidy average of 1 per season, but really a more accurate depiction would be 3 every 2 winters but with a horrible 40-year stretch from 1933-1972 where you only expected 1 such storm every 3 years!

Return rate for 10" storms in LAF is about 7-8 years. The last one was 5 years ago (Dec 15-16, 2007)...well, who are we kidding...we're not getting one this winter so we might as well already bump it up to 6 years. Point is that we are closing in on the average return rate so hopefully it won't be too many years from now.

oops

I deserve it. And I'm glad I was wrong. :D

Though technically my image says winter 2012-13...didn't say anything about spring 2013. :whistle:;)

When I think about it, this was probably my 3rd favorite storm behind 99 and 07. I've seen several other 10-12 inchers over the years but this one is kinda special since it's so late.

When I think about it, this was probably my 3rd favorite storm behind 99 and 07. I've seen several other 10-12 inchers over the years but this one is kinda special since it's so late.

I can't disagree. Amazing for late March...in the LAF, and other places in MO, IL, IN, and OH.

• 2 weeks later...

Kinda disappointed in the way this winter ended. Only 3.6" of snow after March 1 and looks like I'll be shutout in April. 

Hard to describe this winter. Not front-loaded or back-loaded given the crappy start and finish. Everything was right on the fulcrum. mid-loaded.

Completely opposite here, as this season's snowfall was front (December) and especially back-loaded (March) in the LAF. Our typical snowiest month, January, was the worst. Funny how that works.

Archived