• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

EC centrist thinking, to him the country ends at the Apps.

This. He shouldn't be allowed to own a map that shows any states west of PA. Now I get to explain to all of my non-weather hobbyist friends that, no, we are not getting 8" no matter what you saw on Facebook.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would expect a swing to warmth with a pattern change for April and an uptick in svr potential if we have active systems to tap into this reservoir of northern cold and southern/western warmth.   I for one am indeed tired of these cold and dreary days but they do balance out last March.  

What a miserable stretch of weather to continue through the next 7-10 days. If it's gonna be cold it should at least snow. The endless parade of 30s and dry weather sucks the big one. Luckily the other shoe is sure to drop and we should be in for a very nice April I would think.

Yeah, this is awful. I can't bring myself to care about anything short of a big ice or snow storm.

Yeah, this is awful. I can't bring myself to care about anything short of a big ice or snow storm.

Agree, cold and boring at this point of the winter is just painful especially after most areas have had a couple of warm days thrown in at the beginning of the month.

Fun Fact

Despite being obscenely warm last year at CLE, more snow fell in the period between February 21 - March 17th, 2012  (6.4") than has fallen this February 21 - March 17th, 2013 (4.9").

The sad thing, that period last year had roughly a +20 degree temperature departure and this year it has been roughly -2.  :axe:

CLE hasn't had a 6" storm this winter. I know LAN hasn't either. What other stations make this list? I'd imagine central Illinois sites, but that could easily change this weekend.

Here either.  5.7" was the best we did this winter, and that was a draw out 2 day event in which much of it compacted down.  Last winter's best was around 4.5".  Haven't cleared 6" from a storm since the GHD event.

A miss to the south and southeast in late March is just icing on the cake for two ultra ****ty winters in a row. :axe:

TOL

BTL

Detroit City

JXN

just around this area.

I think Trent was referring to official stations that measure snowfall. Why did you add Detroit City when there isnt even snow data for them? Im sure they had 6"+ on Dec 26th. The nearest spotter is Grosse Pointe Farms (typically one of the biggest lowballers in the area) and they reported 6.8".

As for Jackson, they probably had 6"+ from slushfest in late Feb.

You are correct with TOL (their biggest just 3.4"!). Per Harry, BTLs biggest was 5.5", but we will have to wait to see when BTLs data comes out if they officially had 6"+.

I'm only talking about real climate sites that actually measure snow and have NWS issued daily climate summary products.

So that's

CVG

CLE

TOL

LAN

You want an eye-opener? You can add APN to the list!

Alpena has had a few snowstorms drop over 5" this winter, but not a single one has hit 6"!

You can add STL too, though they came perilously close (5.7") with a storm in Feb.

You want an eye-opener? You can add APN to the list!

Alpena has had a few snowstorms drop over 5" this winter, but not a single one has hit 6"!

That's incredible.

CLE is at the second longest drought between 6" storms. We sit at a little over 2 years.

The longest is 997 days between March 14, 1975 where 8.1" fell and Dec 5-6, 1977 when 12" fell.

If we slide by this season without a 6" storm, then we'd need an early season November storm or else that record is going down.

You'd almost need to look at the ratio of largest storm this season at a climate site over their average biggest storm per season. It's not like places south of I-80 are prone to annual 6" storms.

I'm guessing APN probably gets biggest loser in that regard. But CLE's average largest storm per winter is 9.9" so pretty bad here too.

That's incredible.

CLE is at the second longest drought between 6" storms. We sit at a little over 2 years.

The longest is 997 days between March 14, 1975 where 8.1" fell and Dec 5-6, 1977 when 12" fell.

If we slide by this season without a 6" storm, then we'd need an early season November storm or else that record is going down.

Must be the lake helping CLE out in the lean years.

Detroits longest stretch without a 6"+ storm? 2,478 days! After a storm dumped 6.3" on Feb 10/11, 1944, there would not be another 6" storm until 6.3" fell Nov 25/26, 1950. You wanna know what the SECOND longest stretch is? 1,836 days when after 7.6" fell on Jan 30, 1939 not another would be seen until the 1944 storm. So yes, a stretch of 4,316 days with just one 6"+ storm. the 1940s were an absolute disaster of a decade. Nothing else in Detroits record comes CLOSE.

I was hoping this storm could hold the northern track.  Suppressed south in late March is almost unthinkable. Could you imagine some one posting this prediction in early December??

I would have thought not likely but certainly not at all unheard of. I mean we are talking OH/IN, not TN or GA. But then again a lot of people here think snow doesnt stick during the day after mid-Feb so its all relative :lol:.

Archived