EWR757
    Newest Member
    EWR757
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow after April 15th stinks. Even us snow weenies have our limits.

I dunno, I think it depends. It's always sort of a novelty when it falls that late in the season, plus it rarely ever lasts and temps are typically back to normal within a day or two. The 5cm I saw on April 18, 2011 was fun and didn't last past noon hour, and I think the late-April snowstorm of 2005 was potentially the most freakish weather event I've ever witnessed as far as timing and intensity goes. It's always memorable when snow falls that early/late, at least.

Snow after April 15th stinks. Even us snow weenies have our limits.

Yeah man, after about April 10th i'm full on ready for Spring and warm temperatures. BBQ season haha. 

Many of the models keep the MJO in phases 7-2 which often spell cold anomalies across the region....so much for an early spring, haha :P 

We had snow flurries here on Derby day one year. It probably won't happen gain in my lifetime, but I'd imagine you guys will see it again someday. Hence the lifetime thing because I was one year old when it happened in 1989, temperatures were in the upper 30's that morning and didn't get warmer than 45.

May 1989 was the last May to have measurable snow recorded at YYZ. 0.2" on the 7th.

Over 2 years since CLE last had a 6" snowstorm. Obviously this season isn't done, but it could be the first back to back sub 6" season since 75/76, 76/77. There were no seasons between 1977 and 2011 that featured a storm less than 6". Truly is remarkable for such a snowy city to have dodged a big storm, while most everyone else has, including some not so snowy climes.

ORD will be approaching normal snowfall after today. CLE will stick out like a sore thumb in the % of normal seasonal snowfall category after this storm plays out.

Over 2 years since CLE last had a 6" snowstorm. Obviously this season isn't done, but it could be the first back to back sub 6" season since 75/76, 76/77. There were no seasons between 1977 and 2011 that featured a storm less than 6". Truly is remarkable for such a snowy city to have dodged a big storm, while most everyone else has, including some not so snowy climes.

ORD will be approaching normal snowfall after today. CLE will stick out like a sore thumb in the % of normal seasonal snowfall category after this storm plays out.

You're not the only one -  I'm the sore middle finger.  Nothing close to seasonal snowfall is happening here again this year.

You're not the only one -  I'm the sore middle finger.  Nothing close to seasonal snowfall is happening here again this year.

Yeah, geographically you're not that far from Cleveland, just on the other side of the lake. And your lake effect pattern from Huron is similar to ours from Erie. So it makes sense that when we do bad so do you and when we do well so do you.

b2b years without warning criteria and multiple underperforming blizzard/WSW FTL

Yeah we've been in about 5-6 warnings this year and only 2 came even close to verifying, and they still didn't.  Don't blame them this time though, as we got ripped off at the last minute.  Sat near the max band of snow forecasts right up to the event, and ended up with only 4.5" lol.  Pretty difficult to see areas just up the interstate getting another 5-7" more than here.  Guess it's par for the course for the QCA though.

Yeah we've been in about 5-6 warnings this year and only 2 came even close to verifying, and they still didn't.  Don't blame them this time though, as we got ripped off at the last minute.  Sat near the max band of snow forecasts right up to the event, and ended up with only 4.5" lol.  Pretty difficult to see areas just up the interstate getting another 5-7" more than here.  Guess it's par for the course for the QCA though.

We're having very similar years :(

Maybe next year!!

I will say at least this season made a respectable run in the final trimester.  Was extremely dismal through early Feb.  Made it into the low 20s for snowfall, which is only about 10" below normal.  Better than the teens last season.

yeah...the multiple near misses and under performers took some of the joy out of the rally but it was shaping up to be a total disaster for a while there.

Interesting....DTW had 3 storms of 6"+ in 75-76 and 2 storms in 76-77. However, since those mid-1970s winters, they did not see a 6"+ storm in 79-80, 84-85, 85-86, 88-89, 89-90, 95-96, 96-97, 97-98, 99-00, 03-04, & 11-12. They have had 2 this winter, though only the Dec 26th felt like a 6"+ storm (the Feb 26/27 was pure melty slush).

Interesting....DTW had 3 storms of 6"+ in 75-76 and 2 storms in 76-77. However, since those mid-1970s winters, they did not see a 6"+ storm in 79-80, 84-85, 85-86, 88-89, 89-90, 95-96, 96-97, 97-98, 99-00, 03-04, & 11-12. They have had 2 this winter, though only the Dec 26th felt like a 6"+ storm (the Feb 26/27 was pure melty slush).

How can you count that Feb 26-27th storm as one. No way.

How can you count that Feb 26-27th storm as one. No way.

Because its the same storm. We cant treat it differently or cut it in half or whatever because we don't like the drippy results. Being the weather stat guy that I am, BELIEVE ME...it irks me more than you will know. But it is the same storm, have to stay consistent for the record books (hell other nws offices name storms that supposedly last 3 and even 4 days). Its the same L pressure that sat and rotated, even though the snow fell in two waves (3.0" from 5pm to 4am...then 3.5" from 4pm to 10pm), spanning 29 hours, complete with melting during the 12 hour lull (I shortchanged the lull when I said 10 hours laugh.png). Using the 6 hour obs, the greatest 24-hour snowfall however was 4.6" (7pm-7pm) from that storm, whereas at least in the Dec storm the 6.2" fell in much less than 24 hours.

Sorry, I just don't understand of logic of someone who's in the bullseye of a 10"+ snowstorm complaining.

It's one thing to complain if you only got 6-10" when 16"+ was expected, but that doesn't apply in this case.

Good thing this isn't the "understand the logic of someone else complaining" thread

Sorry, I just don't understand of logic of someone who's in the bullseye of a 10"+ snowstorm complaining.

It's one thing to complain if you only got 6-10" when 16"+ was expected, but that doesn't apply in this case.

Alex got 5.5"...which isn't exactly the bullseye of a storm that dropped 6-10" over most ot chicago area.

Speaking of chicago, based on obs out east im thinking the midwest portion of the storm is the only area that will meet expectations. Just too warm for good sticking.

You can add me to that list too... hasn't been a storm greater than 4" at KTOL since the great Feb. '11. Though I will admit we did have a 5.7", 7" and 8" snowstorm that month

You can add me to that list too... hasn't been a storm greater than 4" at KTOL since the great Feb. '11. Though I will admit we did have a 5.7", 7" and 8" snowstorm that month

Definitely a screwzone at TOL this winter.

CMH: 36.9"

TOL: 22.5"

DTW: 44.7"

I wouldnt mind TOL being the bullseye of a spring snowstorm...that crawls up and slams downriver Detroit as well :D

Definitely a screwzone at TOL this winter.

CMH: 36.9"

TOL: 22.5"

DTW: 44.7"

I wouldnt mind TOL being the bullseye of a spring snowstorm...that crawls up and slams downriver Detroit as well :D

CMH 36.9"? They've fared much better than I thought. Even with yesterday's 8"er, they're smoking me. I did manage to pass TOL though.

Archived