• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

CMH 36.9"? They've fared much better than I thought. Even with yesterday's 8"er, they're smoking me. I did manage to pass TOL though.

Definitely a screwzone at TOL this winter.

CMH: 36.9"

TOL: 22.5"

DTW: 44.7"

I wouldnt mind TOL being the bullseye of a spring snowstorm...that crawls up and slams downriver Detroit as well :D

How this happened i don't even know... although out of the biggest storms in the region... 

1 shifted north suddenly, dryslot city in TOL (I ended up with 6" because of some random heavy band overnight)

Several missed to the north (YYZ crusher, any storm that hit Geos)

the last one just missed to the south

Dodged just about every season. I've moved on... I like spring and summer too

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How this happened i don't even know... although out of the biggest storms in the region...

1 shifted north suddenly, dryslot city in TOL (I ended up with 6" because of some random heavy band overnight)

Several missed to the north (YYZ crusher, any storm that hit Geos)

the last one just missed to the south

Dodged just about every season. I've moved on... I like spring and summer too

My favorite snowstorm of the winter was the December 26 storm and I remember the models burying OH and TOL ended up with less than 3" while we got a surprise 6.3". Is that the storm with dryslot youre referring to?

Toledo, more often than not, seems to be in a terrible location for snow and screw zones.

TOL, CLE, and BUF are all running significant snowfall deficits this winter, with surpluses in every other direction.

I guess I just haven't paid much attention, but PIT is at 49.4" or +15" for the season. Unbelievable. Meanwhile just to the north BUF is at 52.5" or -29.5". I think last winter PIT actually beat out BUF which is an incredible feat, and maybe that'll happen again this year.

PIT was one of those few locations that actually was normal for snowfall last year ... and if I recall correctly FWA pretty much had normal snowfall last year and are running above normal for this year too. 

It is much easier for cities with lower seasonal snowfall averages to make it near normal in abbreviated winters like this one. It only takes a few good storms in a 3-4 week pattern to bring them up to normal, while the snowier climes have a harder time making up for a snowless half to winter.

CLE still averages 13" more from here on out in the season. So, a lot can happen still, but the near term prospects look bleak. To hit normal for the year, we'd need 25" more ... historically there's a 1% chance of that happening. 

Toledo, more often than not, seems to be in a terrible location for snow and screw zones.

TOL, CLE, and BUF are all running significant snowfall deficits this winter, with surpluses in every other direction.

I guess I just haven't paid much attention, but PIT is at 49.4" or +15" for the season. Unbelievable. Meanwhile just to the north BUF is at 52.5" or -29.5". I think last winter PIT actually beat out BUF which is an incredible feat, and maybe that'll happen again this year.

PIT was one of those few locations that actually was normal for snowfall last year ... and if I recall correctly FWA pretty much had normal snowfall last year and are running above normal for this year too.

It is much easier for cities with lower seasonal snowfall averages to make it near normal in abbreviated winters like this one. It only takes a few good storms in a 3-4 week pattern to bring them up to normal, while the snowier climes have a harder time making up for a snowless half to winter.

CLE still averages 13" more from here on out in the season. So, a lot can happen still, but the near term prospects look bleak. To hit normal for the year, we'd need 25" more ... historically there's a 1% chance of that happening.

I can get to Toledo in 45 minutes down I-75 and though I don't go too often, I cant believe how often the stateline seems to be the snow line. Don't get me wrong, of course there are some storms where TOL does better than here, as well as some where they will get hit and we are completely shutout (the last snow of the season last Mar as a matter of fact). And in the 2009 deep snow deep freeze i believe their depths were even greater than ours. But overall you can check snow depths or what not or storm total snowfall throughout the course of a winter and it seems quite often there seems to be quite the gradient between even Monroe and Toledo. Technically TOL only averages like 6" less than DTW (I think near identical to ORD).

My favorite snowstorm of the winter was the December 26 storm and I remember the models burying OH and TOL ended up with less than 3" while we got a surprise 6.3". Is that the storm with dryslot youre referring to?

Yes... I believe the official NWS forecast was for 6-10" across NWOH... other than Findlay and Sandusky most of the area dryslotted while DTW was getting double the snow TOL was. 

I can get to Toledo in 45 minutes down I-75 and though I don't go too often, I cant believe how often the stateline seems to be the snow line. Don't get me wrong, of course there are some storms where TOL does better than here, as well as some where they will get hit and we are completely shutout (the last snow of the season last Mar as a matter of fact). And in the 2009 deep snow deep freeze i believe their depths were even greater than ours. But overall you can check snow depths or what not or storm total snowfall throughout the course of a winter and it seems quite often there seems to be quite the gradient between even Monroe and Toledo. Technically TOL only averages like 6" less than DTW (I think near identical to ORD).

You are right about both the March snow and January 2009. Jan. '09 we hit 30" in the month... Feb. '10&11 were both top 10 but DTW still crushed them both of those months IIRC. It definitely shows up sometimes during the winter though. 

Sorry, I just don't understand of logic of someone who's in the bullseye of a 10"+ snowstorm complaining.

It's one thing to complain if you only got 6-10" when 16"+ was expected, but that doesn't apply in this case.

Alex got 5.5"...which isn't exactly the bullseye of a storm that dropped 6-10" over most ot chicago area.

Speaking of chicago, based on obs out east im thinking the midwest portion of the storm is the only area that will meet expectations. Just too warm for good sticking.

UHI is a biatch.

It's just like with Flint and Detroit.

See February 5th-6th, 2008 as one example.

I would not mind the cold at all, expect for the new set of Pings that are sitting in my golf bag, waiting to be played.

For the most part the snow is gone around here, lets just get to slightly above normal temps and I will be happy

What do you get? G25's?

What do you get? G25's?

Yep. Replacing an old hand me down Callaway set. I originally was looking at another Callaway set, but with the work I would need done I the clubs (I am 6'5" and play +1.5" irons) that I would be sinking $20 in per club in grips, extensions, etc. So it made sense to get the pings and have then custom fitted/manufactured.

Yep. Replacing an old hand me down Callaway set. I originally was looking at another Callaway set, but with the work I would need done I the clubs (I am 6'5" and play +1.5" irons) that I would be sinking $20 in per club in grips, extensions, etc. So it made sense to get the pings and have then custom fitted/manufactured.

Nice. I work in the golf biz and G25 irons have been pretty hot so far. You'll love them.

Ex past facto, but Callaway would've done/manufactured the extension part at no charge too.

I love how we get wedged in between two systems Sunday night into Monday with practically no precip to speak of.  Could even be some melting that day with 34F and mist probably.

it's march...are you really that upset over missing out on an inch of slop?

Just have to get through these next few weeks of 40s and clouds before we can get into a pattern change.

Ok, I hate to use this again, but this afternoon we had a sleet/snow mix (at times all snow) but with temps above freezing absolutely none of it accumulated.  Now, when it's at/below freezing, we have started as all sleet. :axe:  It doesn't even make meteorological sense, as the 850 and other thickness lines were supposed to be drifting southward if anything as the day and evening went on, and with surface temps more favorable now, that should have helped.

Archived