• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter '12/'13 Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

I like the Houghton/Hancock area, I'm probably looking at purchasing a second home or cottage there in the next few years.

Lots of snow, breweries and modern conveniences.

There are quite of few houses for sale around the neighbor here in Hancock. The houses don't sell very fast around here so the prices will drop quite a bit. The house across the street from me has been for sale since last spring and only two people have looked at it.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice! If I can talk my wife into it, I will retire somewhere in the Tughill...or Hancock, MI.....or on the top of Mt. Rainier. :P

Move to Twin Lakes, MI they get a lot more snow then here in Hancock. But be prepared to have decent equipment to deal with the snow removing. There are a few houses around that area that are for sale right now.

I don't even know what I'm doing anymore.

I should clarify: I was out this afternoon for lunch and it was in the low 40s with full sunshine. Felt great. And I while I was soaking in the warmth, I thought to myself "if it doesn't snow again this winter, I wouldn't care at all". And I meant it. And now I'm scared. 

I should clarify: I was out this afternoon for lunch and it was in the low 40s with full sunshine. Felt great. And I while I was soaking in the warmth, I thought to myself "if it doesn't snow again this winter, I wouldn't care at all". And I meant it. And now I'm scared.

It comes with age.

I used to get pissed and put in a lasting bad mood about misses or dryslots with snowstorms. It was somewhere around Feb 2008 I stopped caring so much about seasonal totals & frequency of systems. Quality suddenly became more important. Also the warmth of an early spring day has become one of my most favorite weather days. There is something special about the 1st 60 or 70 degree day. Especially after a long winter like 2011. Probably by the time Im 40 ill be pondering a snow bird trip to Florida sometime in early Feb.

I used to get pissed and put in a lasting bad mood about misses or dryslots with snowstorms. It was somewhere around Feb 2008 I stopped caring so much about seasonal totals & frequency of systems. Quality suddenly became more important. Also the warmth of an early spring day has become one of my most favorite weather days. There is something special about the 1st 60 or 70 degree day. Especially after a long winter like 2011. Probably by the time Im 40 ill be pondering a snow bird trip to Florida sometime in early Feb.

you'll fit in good down there in, Feb.

393159_10151407512115148_1678538831_n.jp

@SCC....i've had many of those moments. I'll always be down by big snow but i'm down with the siberia nonsense.

Arctic blast with bare ground ("bitter green" is what I call it, thanks Gordon Lightfoot) does absolutely nothing for me as well. Happened in December 2004 and I was out by Lake Huron chasing LES squalls . 

@SCC....i've had many of those moments. I'll always be down by big snow but i'm down with the siberia nonsense.

Arctic blast with bare ground ("bitter green" is what I call it, thanks Gordon Lightfoot) does absolutely nothing for me as well. Happened in December 2004 and I was out by Lake Huron chasing LES squalls . 

The great lakes rarely let it get that cold..... Those -30 temps will end up bringing daily high temps of 10-15F and lows of maybe -8F.

Even at the very worst, we'll still probably nickel and dime ourselves out of a top 20 snowless winter.

;) I dont wanna hear about nickel and diming because we went from not seeing a flake of snow the first 3 weeks of December to exceeding our December average in a week. The exact opposite of our typical climo. It doesnt matter how we get our snow in SE MI, whether its spread out nickel and diming or snowy periods mixed in with larger periods of dull..whether we are one of the snowier spots without the aid of a big snowstorm or we are the jackpot of a big but not historic snowstorm....there will always be complaints from the SE MI crowd :lol:

Prob gonna be a whole month (maybe longer) between the 1st and 2nd 6" snowstorms. Time will be running short by then to catch the seasonal norm.

:lmao: Oh my oh my how the past decade has spoiled us. We average just over 1 storm per winter of 6"+. There is no guarentee we get another this winter. We may get 5 more, we may get no more.

Yeah. Feb 2010 and 2011 were crazy months but who knows how this one will turn out. So by Feb 15th if we are sub 20" then it will be remarkable.

It would suck but it would hardly be remarkable. On Feb 15th Detroits average is just over 28" with over 14" to go. I cant believe how Marches like 2009, 2010, and 2012 make some forget March can be a very snowy month here.

;) I dont wanna hear about nickel and diming because we went from not seeing a flake of snow the first 3 weeks of December to exceeding our December average in a week. The exact opposite of our typical climo. It doesnt matter how we get our snow in SE MI, whether its spread out nickel and diming or snowy periods mixed in with larger periods of dull..whether we are one of the snowier spots without the aid of a big snowstorm or we are the jackpot of a big but not historic snowstorm....there will always be complaints from the SE MI crowd :lol:

I don't understand what the outcome of December had to do with my point.

Reaching something doesn't change how we reached it. Reaching our average seasonal snowfall with a bunch of 1-2" events will rub some the wrong way just as reaching our average seasonal snowfall with 2 historic snowstorms will rub some the wrong way. The end for some doesn't justify the means.

The funny thing about weather is that it will satisfy all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, some of the people some of the time, but it will never satisfy all of the people all of the time.

But anyways, my point was even if this season falls short of average, we've had far worse snowfall seasons than this. In fact, for all we know, this season may turn out better than last season.

I don't understand what the outcome of December had to do with my point.

Reaching something doesn't change how we reached it. Reaching our average seasonal snowfall with a bunch of 1-2" events will rub some the wrong way just as reaching our average seasonal snowfall with 2 historic snowstorms will rub some the wrong way. The end for some doesn't justify the means.

The funny thing about weather is that it will satisfy all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, some of the people some of the time, but it will never satisfy all of the people all of the time.

But anyways, my point was even if this season falls short of average, we've had far worse snowfall seasons than this. In fact, for all we know, this season may turn out better than last season.

Yeah but through the good and the bad nickel and diming will always be a part of our climo. Im actually shocked at the lack of nickel/diming events this year. We are due and to be honest this possible dry but active lake period would be a perfect time to see that. I fully expect this season to be better than last season....but in fact, lets say we end up with an exact match at 26", this winter will be better because of more snowcover. We had a TOTAL of 20 days last winter of 1"+ snowcover on 26" of snow...have had 18 already this winter on 11.6" of snow.

Yeah but through the good and the bad nickel and diming will always be a part of our climo. Im actually shocked at the lack of nickel/diming events this year. We are due and to be honest this possible dry but active lake period would be a perfect time to see that. I fully expect this season to be better than last season....but in fact, lets say we end up with an exact match at 26", this winter will be better because of more snowcover. We had a TOTAL of 20 days last winter of 1"+ snowcover on 26" of snow...have had 18 already this winter on 11.6" of snow.

This winter is major suckage just like last year. Torch periods and cold dry periods. This blows and will be ranked the same if Feb and the 1st half march do not deliver.

looking light I might escape this event with nothing frozen whatsoever.  The mix line per wunderground is right along I-65, the back edge of the precip along the IN/IL line.

This winter seriously sucks.  I'm not even at 2" on the season yet.

Per GFS/EURO there is still tomorrow. If you look down towards TX/OK you can see the precip is already starting to fire up again with that wave..

Archived