12bet1 net
December Obs and Banter

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we're better than that!

it's once every 7 years (95/96, 02/03 & 09/10) :facepalm:

Well over the past 40 years, BWI has had below 5" in a season 6 times including last year. The previous 5 had atleast 15" of snow, with an average of 28". So you have to think 2012/2013 has a great chance of getting atleast 15" of snow :weenie: . I didn't go further back than 40 years, I am bored, but not that bored.

Sorry I am trolling, I am bored, and I am in IAD/BWI almost every other week so I am rooting to see some snow when I am traveling up there this winte.

I have a general observation. Having not grown up in the Mid Atlantic I cannot 100% back my theory but here I go.

From the past winters of living in MD I have noticed that we get the winter weather off of systems that generally come up from the S/SW with an ample supply of moisture out of the Gulf. And as long as we have the cold temps in place is when we get snow. The systems that come from the W/NW have at best been a 50/50 shot. Of course this is the opposite of what I grew up with in NW Ohio. Where the systems coming in from the Rockies and N/NW would give us a better shot. I am in no way scientific about this but it is just from general observation as I stated above. Am I correct in this observation or off the mark? I know way more goes into weather and I am still learning but was curious.

this is a pretty accurate observation. we need a storm from the W/NW to be pretty dynamic for us to get snow since we're on the leeward side of the mountains. it seems we do much better in overrunning events with the cold air firmly in place.

I'm still waiting for bastardi's December to remember btw. Im sure a million people have said this but this winter really does feel very reminiscent to last years. From the forecast of a cold and above average snowfall winter all the way to the sickening warmth. Feels like im in the movie groundhogs day, if i have to be in groundhogs day id like to wake up to the winter of 2009/2010 everyday.

Archived