e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December Obs and Banter

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ian, as an obsessive forum reader, and pretty nothing contributor, I have enjoyed the chatter during the slow period from Matt and Bob and a few others, it was a decent set of reads and even some stuff to chew over. Wes too. I guess I am confused about who was chest-thumping or who even truly "called" a storm. At best, a few said this looked like a good window where something frozen might fall. That's not different from stuff others have done in the past looking ahead at patterns. its not different from what HM does, I don't think.

I guess I am confused as to the criticism and what you would like to be different....

None of the people mentioned are an issue as far as I know. I am not going to name names on either side but I've heard from a handful of who I think are quality forecasters who have been annoyed with the larger tone at times. I said my part.. Poorly at that.

None of the people mentioned are an issue as far as I know. I am not going to name names on either side but I've heard from a handful of who I think are quality forecasters who have been annoyed with the larger tone at times. I said my part.. Poorly at that.

I'm wondering where they say this. Do people PM you a lot with their idea of how things should be run?

Ok, but maybe instead of soft-pedaling it, maybe just put it out there. Better to name names of those who seems to have run afoul of the quality forecasters who have contacted you and address it directly then generally making statements that are clearly going to go over the heads of whoever it is that are causing issues. In as small and tight a community as this, sometimes directness is a better approach, maybe. At least in my view.

I hear ya...you are in a spot as a staff member where you need to consider the opinions of people who browse the forum....imo as a non staff member, if the people complaining are regular contributors than maybe it is an issue...As long as the good mets who actually participate here aren't scared away, I don't see the problem....The "I would post but I don't like the tone of the forum" mets are LOL...who cares about them

I hear ya...you are in a spot as a staff member where you need to consider the opinions of people who browse the forum....imo as a non staff member, if the people complaining are regular contributors than maybe it is an issue...As long as the good mets who actually participate here aren't scared away, I don't see the problem....The "I would post but I don't like the tone of the forum" mets are LOL...who cares about them

It probably didn't need to ba aired here. I don't always have the best judgment on that kind of stuff. It's been a long week and I'm tired too...

I think our forum is pretty good. There is a lot of collective knowledge and learning.

I do personally believe there is too much rush to be 'first' in calling something but maybe that's not as new as I make it out to be.

It's a tough road to walk sometimes between all the various levels of "education" here. I have a lower threshold than I used to..

I would figuratively die if the regular mets stopped posting for reasons that I'm pretty sure I understand now. I mean it too. I can't wait to see analysis posts by our regular mets every day. And the banter is awesome. It may sound sappy but it's a part of my day I look forward too and its probably more important to me than I would like to admit.

I would figuratively die if the regular mets stopped posting for reasons that I'm pretty sure I understand now. I mean it too. I can't wait to see analysis posts by our regular mets every day. And the banter is awesome. It may sound sappy but it's a part of my day I look forward too and its probably more important to me than I would like to admit.

No one is stopping posting that I know of. Your stuff is great as is Matt's, HM's, etc.

I think I'm relatively not emotionally attached to snow compared to some folks.. so from that angle I do think I see, at least here and there, some "bending" of facts toward the positive. That sort of stuff has always happened though.

Outside that, even if some of the LR stuff is untested or unproven, it's all good.. perhaps even innovative if new things are found that work.

Part of my own personal thing is Eastern/etc was always a refuge from the weenieness that is prevalent everywhere. In some ways I think it's less so these days.. but not really by fault of anyone, but because there are so many more posters.

I learn plenty from a lot of you. I think I've probably learned the most from Wes when it comes to winter stuff but there are nuggets here and there picked up all the time.. and that's not something you can say about every source in weather... so that's something you can still hold American in very high regard for.

I watch talk on a lot of different networks these days.. perhaps some of my "back patting" comments are misplaced. I just feel like I see a whole lot more "I said this 2 weeks ago" type of stuff. Most of my good calls are at least partly luck as far as I'm concerned.. I've made enough bad calls to know I'm not that great of a forecaster.

So...who else is really excited for the Ian storm?

still on the gfs. tho after this convo it's probably better to call it "the storm in a potentially better pattern that a number of individuals pondered." :P

The Snow Potential Index is making a return tonight!

Seriously.. I hope no one took my comments to mean I dislike them or anything. There are really only like 5 people on the boards who truly annoy me and none of them post in our region I don't think. I'm just grumpy a lot. ;)

Seriously.. I hope no one took my comments to mean I dislike them or anything. There are really only like 5 people on the boards who truly annoy me and none of them post in our region I don't think. I'm just grumpy a lot. ;)

hopefully we can pull a snowstorm to cheer ya up :sled:

I'm the one you hate the most - just admit it ;)

Lol- forgot u don't have kids. Purely in jest. I know you are but what am i? Smelt it dealt it?

Yeah.. I know. I was playing around. ;)

I'm still kinda bummed I might miss something. I guess it happens to everyone at some point. Not a big fan of the holidays these days.. would rather just stay here. :P

you deserve some credit for this storm....I'm not sure who Ian is referring to in this forum...we have all been modest and humble...

Some of my comment earlier originated outside this forum so it's no one here but I think the person who got me going had somehow read stuff here and did do some chest pumping elsewhere. I'm not going to mention names but it was no one here but semi-soured me on actually posting unless I was actually doing an article. In reality, posting in winter is too addicting to stop.

Some of my comment earlier originated outside this forum so it's no one here but I think the person who got me going had somehow read stuff here and did do some chest pumping elsewhere. I'm not going to mention names but it was no one here but semi-soured me on actually posting unless I was actually doing an article. In reality, posting in winter is too addicting to stop.

Wes, you have without question forgotten more about weather than any of us weenies will ever know (compliment. Not and age jab. Hahaha) and you are the man in these parts when it comes to our terrible latitude and sketchy climo.

Now make it snow dammit!

Archived