Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
December Obs and Banter

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.. I know. I was playing around. ;)

I'm still kinda bummed I might miss something. I guess it happens to everyone at some point. Not a big fan of the holidays these days.. would rather just stay here. :P

Just check the historic miller b thread photo page on Thursday and make believe you're here while cocktails in coconuts are goin down like bud lights at the skins game.

Looks like even the lowlands in WV are getting into the big snow....Morgantown has two public reports of 4-4.5" already at 6pm. I remember a poster saying he was heading that way. Probably not a fun drive over the mtns.

We headed out at 8 a.m., got to Morgantown at 10:30. About average time for that trip. Snowed lightly from Cumberland west, with only minor accumulations on the way up.

Actually the heaviest snow we saw was in Morgantown in the couple of hours we were there. The ride back was about the same as the trip up, with slightly more on the ground.

Never saw any heavier rates, or reduced visibilities, and roads were clear. Nice drive, but glad we got back early.

Dave, maybe because I'm looking on my phone but.....that looks like a closeup of a kid's sandbox. U sure that's snow? Lol

LOL, I promise you, it is snowflakes on my grill cover and no it isnt BB's grill cover that blew away :P

It looks more like the beach after it rained.

You mad it didnt snowflurry down there :P LOL

Lame... Car top or bust! :P

Ill post a car top tomorrow afternoon, it wont be so lame JT :) lol

The Snow Potential Index is making a return tonight!

Seriously.. I hope no one took my comments to mean I dislike them or anything. There are really only like 5 people on the boards who truly annoy me and none of them post in our region I don't think. I'm just grumpy a lot. ;)

I believe if people generally follow the rules and leave the analysis threads to the skilled forecasters, and post comic relief, names for storms, personal weenie "feelings" on storms, and honest questions to the meteorologists etc. in the banter thread then everything should go smoothly. We have a very skilled group that performs the analysis of the model runs, and they typically hit all the angles, so no need for others to toss in their two cents unless they are pointing out a point of forecasting analysis that may have been missed.

The problem I believe, is people start reading the analysis threads and see analysis that doesn't line up with what they "want" to happen, and end up posting there when they really shouldn't just to reinforce their snow fantasy. If you have a gut feeling about a storm and think the models and forecasts from the mets and/or forecasters are wrong, or if you think the world is going to end at 6 AM tomorrow, then this banter thread is the place for that.

I've been coming to these forums for a very long time, and honestly I think the overall posting has become light years better than what it used to be. I really enjoy the comedy/banter as well... I mean without Ji's JMA posts I might have to say goodbye to this cruel weenie world.

Admittedly, my weenieness comes out quite a bit too when there is potential on the table, and when people start discounting possible tracks for a storm at 8 days out, I try to keep that light hearted and in the banter thread, but if that bothers anybody PM me and let me know. I've got thick skin so any criticism is perfectly fine.

Anyway, we are the best regional discussion forum on americanwx and I say keep up the great work to everybody here!

Just looked at the webcam from Keyser's ridge and people are crawling....

Low visibility.

Snow really picked up here in McHenry in the late afternoon. We had maybe an inch or so at that point, and we have apprx. 4 inches now. Showery is the best way to describe the action. Light at times followed by 20 minute bursts of moderate snow.

Stopped at the rest area at the Youghiogheny Overlook on 68 and walked around for a while. Winds were gusting above 40 with temps in the mid 20's and snow blowing around. Really a beautiful day in the high country.

Glad you made it back with no issues Craig. It is one of the things I miss about living in Cumberland area, a short drive and it is a whole different world past Clarysville and west

There were definitely flurries in the sky today. Saw them on the home front and while on 495 driving home.

Came home to see my neighbors townhome (they have the end unit) with siding flapping in the wind about ready to take off. I doubt it'll make it through tomorrow. Hopefully, we keep power on during the day.

By the way, if ya'll really want to see some serious early season snow depth, you need to check out the Crater Lake and Mt Rainier webcams tomorrow during the day. For this time of year, it appears to be abnormaly deep.

Pounding hard out here now with crazy winds. I'm going to leave the snow measurements up to the pros on this one. Probably around 6" so far with crazy drifting and a nice line coming our way on radar in the next hour or so.

I'd expect some areas to hit 20", if not 2 feet. The initial NWS forecasts of 8-14 in a lot of those areas was too conservative, but it's really hard to pin exact amounts in these types of events.

Archived