12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Cane Sandy Obs-New England

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will not be the "superstorm"/Franken whatever advertised. What you are getting is what you will get. Shore communities will likely have to deal with a 2ndary run in with elevated waters that may and probably will exceed those of earlier in the day, but as far as wind and rain production, it is in my opinion this is maxed(ing)

The problem here is that the structure of the system never entered transition in the timely fashion modeled. And, since there is no crystal ball ... not sure how anyone could see a pure hurricane land falling on the mouth of Delaware Bay as the actual result.

Being still a bona fide hurricane means that the winds were compact to the core. Sandy did gain a massive wind field over all, but the idea of Sandy getting sucked into the cold core and getting a giant baroclinic assist, expanding a much more serious and powerful wind field outward as a warm seclusion scenario is not going to happen. That much is clear. Sandy will make land fall as a hurricane, and then immediately weaken while she slows dramatically and then turns up into eastern PA. As a tremendously weakened entity there may be some interesting thermal fields in there but it will be unremarkable to anyone other than an obsessive grad student with dreams of making an intellectual discovery that finally gets him/her out from under the oppressive rule of their abusive academic adviser.

j/k

As it were, some weather personnel on camera are already explaining that tropical storm warnings and hurricane warnings would have been more appropriate considering what Sandy is. I've had the tele on in the backdrop while logged into the office and I'm inclined to agree with them.

Hey, 2 years in row the EC is impacted by a hurricane. Not bad - even if the dystopia heads among us perhaps feel gypped because neither of them reduxed 1938.

I am pretty confident that for all this power outages will be more sporadic than a torturing unilateral dilemma.

8:30 am heading northwest to work in Salem, NH: part of North Andover, MA was out of power from the old common to the Waverly St/Mass Ave intersection. A fat old tree was down in someone's yard but it had evidence of being rotted out in the center of it. Highway was windy, buffeting my 12 year old Subaru Forrester, requiring 2 hands on the wheel but no wrestliing.

2:30 pm heading southeast from Salem, NH to the SE end of North Andover a rock's throw from the Middleton and Boxford borders...different story. Lights had begun flickering more often with a brown tone that last time before I wienied out and told the boss 'see ya'. Rt 28 was plastered with leaves, the stop lights dangling over the intersections were bouncing and swaying with gusts. Rt 213 Eastbound was an adventure. I must have hit a gust directly head on, the little 4 cylinder tank could barely get to 50 with the peddle on the floor. Finally clear of that, am making a broad curve at 55 miles an hour when a now crosswize gust starts to take the back of the car into a twirl. The wrestling continued down the 2 exits on 495 S. Backroads were debris covered. Little branches, leaves and pinecones all over the place. Afew other medium (maybe 4-8 inch) diameter branches down but not many. Lights were back on everywhere I passed.

According to family, power was out for about an hour and came back on about 20 minutes before I got there. The trip home took the usual speed limit time of about 40-45 minutes. Clearly, this was a mild trip compared with what some are experiencing but it was enough. If the Waverly Street lights had been off at 8:30 I just would have turned around and called in to begin with.

One side note, lots of people were out shopping in Salem, along the 28 strip. Entire families, mothers with kids in happy celebratory school's off moods. They weren't all shopping for bread, milk, candles or batteries either. I didn't know clearanced Halloween rubbish was an emergency item. Or the new Christmas decorations for that matter. Even with the rain blowing sideways, w people having a challenge walking a straight line in a parking lot during a wind gust. They were more worried about a long check out line than they were out driving in the first place.

Neighbors are losing their roofs making this the worst storm since I've been here. In addition one has had a window blow out. Wiz...please leave that out of your report...thanks

I'll leave it out but that is some pretty valuable information that I'm sure the NWS would love to have and would be a huge help with their forecasts but ok.

Just took a drive around town and was surprised to see the amount of tree damage. Obviously small branches littered all over but many many big branches and even some oak and pine trees completely uprooted or snapped off at the base.

When I went to get in the car there was a large pine branch that must have fallen right in front and missed scraping or denting it. Hopefully we can keep winds at or below what they've been so far.

Archived