Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Cane Sandy Obs-New England

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why don't you just PM the people?

It's just easier for me to just post/reply...especially b/c I also have to follow scanner feeds and have to write down stuff I hear from there to send along and when it's quite active like today it can be real hectic. Dealing with PM just adds extra steps for me.

Several stations not reporting wind anymore which is annoying. UUU, PVC, and MVY all not reporting wind now.

Did you see my question to you? It's absolutely ripping just over head but not translating at all to the surface. Literally a couple of hundred of feet up the clouds look like they're going by at least 70 kts...will heavy rain bring it down or no? I have no idea on the subject.

"One side note, lots of people were out shopping in Salem, along the 28 strip. Entire families, mothers with kids in happy celebratory school's off moods. They weren't all shopping for bread, milk, candles or batteries either. I didn't know clearanced Halloween rubbish was an emergency item. Or the new Christmas decorations for that matter. Even with the rain blowing sideways, w people having a challenge walking a straight line in a parking lot during a wind gust. They were more worried about a long check out line than they were out driving in the first place..."

It is difficult at times to differentiate people's attitudes as to whether they simply believe life must go on, or if it is just an utter lack of enlightened filter about their perceptions. Despite all we do and strive to do, to inform and teach the commoner of the dangerous perils of Nature, it's like they nod their heads in agreement while they don in coats and just head on out there.

Okay.

Darwinian scientific philosophy has an entire chapter devoted to these sorts, the types that disrespect - not so sure for people that just appear not to get it. Luck seems to protect fools and idiots, while taking out whole civilizations. I suppose you could just ask; and I have, and I am usually pretty surprised by the answers. Despite CNN, NBC, hell ...even Fox News giving up their Social Engineering tactics long enough to acknowledge a threat, despite the Internet, despite it all, you ask them and they say, "Do you think it will be that bad", with a look on their face not of incredulity, but like an inquisitive 5 year old. I do not know, maybe that person is just stupid. Sometimes the easier explanation is certainly the truth.

Part of me wants to say, "No, you should be okay", because just like what's going on now, even I concede; we have a dramatic event that will fall short of the histrionics conveyed heretofore. It's like no matter how bad things look in the runs, and the interpretive consensus of the runs more importantly, I sometimes feel it must be necessary to take an automatic 10 to 20% and lop that off the top of the carnage meter. But you can't do that responsibly.

It all reminds me of that Far Side cartoon, where these two idiots happened upon an oasis on their hands and knees, their tracks extending to the horizon, and the one looks at the other and says, "What, no cups!?"

People just don't get it, or are disrespectful, some combination of both. After the snow storm last October, I took a drive and passed by a Dunkin' Donuts that had a line out the door and half way down a street. There was a back up generator in the plaza it was attached to. I got into line, embarrassed for my self and the rest of us hapless, helplessly dependent on "industrial society's feeding tube(s)", and at some point during a manager came out and announced that they were out of donuts. Perfectly understandable - they were the only place opened amid a darkened landscape. But this woman had 3 kids with her and she pretty much threw a conniption and informed the manager of her intent to contact the Better Business Bureau for making her wait in line for 45 minutes before telling her, no donuts. I hear that she wasn't going to get to stuff donuts in her cake hole - meanwhile, this giant world of society crippling natural event was falling around her, and this myopic 'me-first' doucher of a human being was concerned about her f donuts.

It's depicted in literature, and the cinema, but it's really true. A comet is about 6 hours from striking the Earth, irrecoverably send Humanity spiraling back into hunter gather, pure survivalist modes of existence, and there really will be some wall-street ding bat that's running down the street with a brief case full of money.

Definitely a lull on the central CT shoreline I think from me (Lyme) to you. But it seems to be getting eroded... gradually picking up here but I doubt I have gusted over 50 yet either.

I'm in between the two of you...a couple miles inland...but similar story. Probably had a couple gusts that have pushed 50 mph, but other than that pretty tame so far. I thought the latest rain band that moved in over us may have brought some higher gusts...but not yet. We're pretty much getting to the peak of the storm at this point, so we'll see.

Did you see my question to you? It's absolutely ripping just over head but not translating at all to the surface. Literally a couple of hundred of feet up the clouds look like they're going by at least 70 kts...will heavy rain bring it down or no? I have no idea on the subject.

The more sheltered spot in the interior are going to have the most trouble mixing the winds down because there is a bit of a CAD signal in the interior right now. I don't know how exposed your neighborhood is, but is its not that exposed, then you might not gust more than about 50mph. Though it is beginning to pick up a bit...BDL and BAF both gusted around 45 knots latest obs.

Matt Noyes calling for a big burst of wind around Boston 5-6PM or so

The 18z NAM showed it absolutely ripping around that time. It increases the LLJ by about 10 knots and the winds are turning more easterly all the time which helps erode any inversions.

Archived