joxey
Cane Sandy Obs-New England

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just the costliest east coast storm in history

Because of where the worst weather was.

SNE largely got spared outside of the south coast of CT and maybe RI. Much more powerful storms can produce less costly damage if they aren't hitting New York City and surrounding suburbs.

It was a very impressive storm overall, but for the majority who post in this subforum, it was essentially a strong Nor' Easter.

Yeah for SNE. Might be tougher for far SW CT but say HVN on east....the clock is ticking.

Obv. I mean I was so distant on what was going in other areas because of power issues, I have no idea what the effects where for sne.

The winds where amazing here, I believe around cat 1 status. Obv for Miami that is meh, but for a area with infrastructure not built for that it's devastating. I remember during the peak of sandy I was to scared to walk from my truck to house, in fear of getting hit by something in the strong winds. Then we had 4-5 inches of snow a week later, made it feel like a dooms day movie lol

The Blizzard of 2013 was much more impactful in SNE as a whole, than Sandy ever was. Inland CT had frequent gusts to 60 mph with some rain.  But, we've seen winter nor'easters be more destructive and disruptive than Sandy.  Sandy was mainly a NYC/NJ/SW CT event when compared to other storms' impact.

The Blizzard of 2013 was much more impactful in SNE as a whole, than Sandy ever was. Inland CT had frequent gusts to 60 mph with some rain.  But, we've seen winter nor'easters be more destructive and disruptive than Sandy.  Sandy was mainly a NYC/NJ/SW CT event when compared to other storms' impact.

Yeah that's what I was talking about when I referred to the storm as essentially a strong Nor' Easter for most of SNE. IT had some decent winds, but nothing that hasn't been dealt with before. Those old timers on the coast of MA would tell us about many a storm much worse.

Yeah for SNE. Might be tougher for far SW CT but say HVN on east....the clock is ticking.

We have been remarkably lucky. Sandy was close, easily could have been forced into SNE if that block was a little weaker. Bob cut east of the majority of the area. Irene was rapidly weakening. Etc.

We have been remarkably lucky. Sandy was close, easily could have been forced into SNE if that block was a little weaker. Bob cut east of the majority of the area. Irene was rapidly weakening. Etc.

Timing of tide and current play a huge part also, if Sandy had hit on a normal tide cycle, 2-3 foot less surge would have been the case, all the difference in the world. As it was, the destruction in SRI was immense. As stated by Ryan, also the timing was off enough in LI sound that what was certainly a horrible situation could have been an absolute disaster with Evac zones 4 inundated, even though SWCT received the brunt they too were lucky.

Obv. I mean I was so distant on what was going in other areas because of power issues, I have no idea what the effects where for sne.

The winds where amazing here, I believe around cat 1 status. Obv for Miami that is meh, but for a area with infrastructure not built for that it's devastating. I remember during the peak of sandy I was to scared to walk from my truck to house, in fear of getting hit by something in the strong winds. Then we had 4-5 inches of snow a week later, made it feel like a dooms day movie lol

Miami likely had cat 1 with Wilma and it did considerable damage there.

I agree with the overall point though, the northeast damages easier.. I'd be very reluctant to walk around my yard in 50mph here.

Miami likely had cat 1 with Wilma and it did considerable damage there.

I agree with the overall point though, the northeast damages easier.. I'd be very reluctant to walk around my yard in 50mph here.

The wind damage aspect was overrated somewhat, IMO. In inland areas of Long Island away from the surge zones we had gusts up to 85-90 mph and most of the damage was to trees and power lines. There was minor structural damage, about what you would expect anywhere with cat 1 winds. The surge though was absolutely devastating and would be anywhere at the height it reached us at. 10-14 foot water levels with locally 20 foot waves on top is almost impossible to put any other way. Our area is also the most vulnerable to surge outside of maybe Lake Pontchartrain and Tampa Bay.

Archived