• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Cane Sandy Obs-New England

Damage In Tolland

made a mistake it was 2400+ homes without power and the first selectmen just called and urged everyone to have patience and let them work, 100 crews in Fairfield alone round the clock, gives you an idea the extent of the tree damage, so many poles down up off burr, greenfield hill etc. The new worry is pipes bursting in homes because they cannot heat them, hopefully people just shut the water off before going to bed.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

made a mistake it was 2400+ homes without power and the first selectmen just called and urged everyone to have patience and let them work, 100 crews in Fairfield alone round the clock, gives you an idea the extent of the tree damage, so many poles down up off burr, greenfield hill etc. The new worry is pipes bursting in homes because they cannot heat them, hopefully people just shut the water off before going to bed.

Has it been cold enough to worry about pipes before last night?

That was our big worry after the 2008 Ice Storm, but we lucked out in that it barely hit freezing. We had emptied our pipes anyway...

"Here is where we stand. The need for manpower is overwhelming. What is NOT needed are any donations of clothes. We need teams of 15-20 people who are going to function together and go to work. We can not at this time have people self dispatch. Every area affected by Sandy is still in dire straits, with no power, or gas, so come sun down its a ghost town. When you have assembled your group contact us via our email address nycffbrotherh

[email protected] that is instantaneous and gets a hold of me, Jon, immediately. When I get an idea of who or what is coming I can then tell you where to go. If you plan on coming what you will need are gloves, bring two pairs for each member, shovels, hammers, crow bars, halligans if you have them, sheet rock and or regular hooks and sawzalls and blades, corded or cordless if you have no generator power, heavier gauged electric cords, since many times you will be far from the power source it will cut down on the power loss from the distance. Bring N95 masks to protect from mold spores and sheetrock dust, and we can not emphasize enough the need for rubber outer boots to walk around in basements that are full of you know what. We don't have a place to put people to sleep, so if its more than a day trip you have to figure this out on your own. And last but most important is water and gasoline. Even if you do not have a generator chances are someone else does and you will be working off them. We will be informing you all where to go when we know."

I didn't see this posted so I thought I would for the record. BOX has a nice summary out:

NOUS41 KBOX 082004

PNSBOX

CTZ002>004-MAZ002>024-026-NHZ011-012-015-RIZ001>008-102000-

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

302 PM EST THU NOV 08 2012

...NEW ENGLAND EFFECTS FROM THE HURRICANE SANDY HYBRID STORM...

WEATHER SYNOPSIS

SANDY...A HYBRID STORM WITH BOTH TROPICAL AND EXTRATROPICAL

CHARACTERISTICS...BROUGHT HIGH WINDS AND COASTAL FLOODING TO

SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. EASTERLY WINDS GUSTED TO 50 TO 60 MPH FOR

INTERIOR SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND...55 TO 65 MPH ALONG THE EASTERN

MASSACHUSETTS COAST AND ALONG THE I-95 CORRIDOR IN SOUTHEAST

MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND...AND 70 TO 80 MPH ALONG THE SOUTHEAST

MASSACHUSETTS AND RHODE ISLAND COASTS. A FEW HIGHER HIGHER GUSTS

OCCURRED ALONG THE RHODE ISLAND COAST. A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM

EMBEDDED IN AN OUTER BAND ASSOCIATED WITH SANDY PRODUCED WIND GUSTS

TO 90 MPH AND CONCENTRATED DAMAGE IN WAREHAM EARLY TUESDAY EVENING...

A DAY AFTER THE CENTER OF SANDY HAD MOVED INTO NEW JERSEY. IN

GENERAL MODERATE COASTAL FLOODING OCCURRED ALONG THE MASSACHUSETTS

COASTLINE...AND MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING IMPACTED THE RHODE ISLAND

COASTLINE. THE STORM SURGE WAS GENERALLY 2.5 TO 4.5 FEET ALONG THE

EAST COAST OF MASSACHUSETTS...BUT PEAKED LATE MONDAY AFTERNOON IN

BETWEEN HIGH TIDE CYCLES. SEAS BUILT TO BETWEEN 20 AND 25 FEET

MONDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING JUST OFF THE MASSACHUSETTS EAST COAST.

ALONG THE SOUTH COAST...THE STORM SURGE WAS 4 TO 6 FEET AND SEAS

FROM 30 TO A LITTLE OVER 35 FEET WERE OBSERVED IN THE OUTER COASTAL

WATERS. THE VERY LARGE WAVES ON TOP OF THE STORM SURGE CAUSED

DESTRUCTIVE COASTAL FLOODING ALONG STRETCHES OF THE RHODE ISLAND

EXPOSED SOUTH COAST.

SANDY GREW INTO A HURRICANE OVER THE SOUTHWEST CARIBBEAN AND THEN

HEADED NORTH ACROSS JAMAICA...CUBA...AND THE BAHAMAS. AS SANDY

HEADED NORTH OF THE BAHAMAS...THE STORM INTERACTED WITH A VIGOROUS

WEATHER SYSTEM MOVING WEST TO EAST ACROSS THE UNITED STATES AND

BEGAN TO TAKE ON A HYBRID STRUCTURE. STRONG HIGH PRESSURE OVER

SOUTHEAST CANADA HELPED WITH THE EXPANSION OF THE STRONG WINDS WELL

NORTH OF THE CENTER OF SANDY. IN ESSENCE...SANDY RETAINED THE

STRUCTURE OF A HURRICANE NEAR ITS CENTER /UNTIL SHORTLY BEFORE

LANDFALL/ WHILE TAKING ON MORE OF AN EXTRATROPICAL CYCLONE

CONFIGURATION WELL AWAY FROM THE CENTER. SANDY/S TRACK WAS

UNUSUAL. THE STORM HEADED NORTHEAST AND THEN NORTH ACROSS THE

WESTERN ATLANTIC AND THEN SHARPLY TURNED TO THE WEST TO MAKE

LANDFALL NEAR ATLANTIC CITY...NJ DURING MONDAY EVENING. SANDY

SUBSEQUENTLY WEAKENED AND MOVED WEST ACROSS SOUTHERN PENNSYLVANIA ON

TUESDAY BEFORE TURNING NORTH AND HEADING ACROSS WESTERN NEW YORK

STATE INTO QUEBEC DURING TUESDAY NIGHT AND WEDNESDAY.

IN THE TAUNTON WEATHER FORECAST OFFICE WARNING AREA...RHODE ISLAND

WAS HARDEST HIT. A PEAK WIND GUST OF 86 MPH OCCURRED IN

WESTERLY...AND NEARLY THE ENTIRE RHODE ISLAND SHORELINE EXPERIENCED

MODERATE TO MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING. NUMEROUS POWER OUTAGES OCCURRED

WITH WINDS GUSTING TO 60 MPH OVER THE INTERIOR AND TO 80+ MPH ALONG

THE SOUTH COAST. MAJOR COASTAL FLOODING STRUCK THE RHODE ISLAND

OCEAN EXPOSED SOUTH COAST DURING THE MONDAY EVENING HIGH TIDE. THIS

STORM TIDE...ESPECIALLY DESTRUCTIVE ACROSS SHORELINES IN

WESTERLY...SOUTH CHARLESTOWN...SOUTH KINGSTON...NARRAGANSETT...AND

BLOCK ISLAND...RIVALED THE IMPACT FROM HURRICANE BOB IN 1991. ALONG

THE RHODE ISLAND SOUTH COAST...THE DAMAGING COASTAL FLOODING WAS

FUELED BY A STORM SURGE AROUND 5 FEET AND WAVES OF 30+ FEET THAT

PROPAGATED ON A LONG FETCH INTO BLOCK ISLAND AND RHODE ISLAND

SOUNDS. A SURVEY OF IMPACT ALONG MISQUAMICUT BEACH REVEALED AN

INUNDATION EXTENT CONSISTENT WITH THE UPPER BOUNDARY OF A CATEGORY 1

HURRICANE AND VERY SEVERE EROSION. IT SHOULD ALSO BE NOTED THAT THE

PREVIOUS HIGH TIDE DURING MONDAY MORNING PRODUCED MINOR TO MODERATE

IMPACTS ALONG THE RHODE ISLAND COAST AND LIKELY WEAKENED DUNES AND

OTHER COASTAL STRUCTURES IN ADVANCE OF THE MORE DESTRUCTIVE MONDAY

EVENING HIGH TIDE.

LOWEST BAROMETRIC PRESSURE IN NWS TAUNTON AREA OCT 29 2012

WESTERLY RI KWST 979.2 MB 41.34N 71.80W 353 PM

HARTFORD CT KHFD 980.1 MB 41.73N 72.65W 453 PM

WILLIMANTIC CT KIJD 980.6 MB 41.74N 72.18W 452 PM

WINDSOR LOCKS CT KBDL 981.5 MB 41.93N 72.68W 551 PM

NEWPORT RI KUUU 982.3 MB 41.53N 71.28W 353 PM

VINEYARD HAVEN MA KMVY 983.3 MB 41.39N 70.61W 253 PM

WESTFIELD MA KBAF 983.7 MB 42.15N 72.72W 453 PM

NANTUCKET MA KACK 984.0 MB 41.25N 70.06W 253 PM

NEW BEDFORD MA KEWB 984.2 MB 41.67N 70.96W 353 PM

WARWICK RI KPVD 984.2 MB 41.72N 71.43W 353 PM

HIGHEST WIND GUSTS OCT. 29 2012

WESTERLY RICITIZENS WXOBS86 MPH244 PM

BUZZARDS BAY TOWERBUZM383 MPH300 PM 80 FT ELEV

JUDITH RIMESONET 81 MPH240 PM 18 M ELEV

WEST ISLAND MAMESONET80 MPH335 PM

MARSTONS MILLS MAAMATEUR RADIO 79 MPH447 PM

BARNSTABLE MAAMATEUR RADIO79 MPH101 PM

MATTAPOISETT MA AMATEUR RADIO76 MPHUNKNOWN

BLUE HILL MILTON MA KMQE74 MPH332 PM

PLEASURE BAY MA MESONET73 MPH300 PM

WARREN RISPOTTER73 MPH410 PM

EAST FALMOUTH MASPOTTER72 MPH200 PM

KALMUS-HYANNIS MAMESONET72 MPH325 PM

CONIMICUT RINOS PORTS71 MPH 324 PM CPTR1

BROOKLINE MACLAY CENTER69 MPH354 PM

WESTERLY RIKWST69 MPH321 PM

CHILDREN/S ISLAND MAMESONET68 MPH 300 PM

VINEYARD HAVEN MAKMVY68 MPH157 PM

BEDFORD MAKBED67 MPH555 PM

MILFORD MASPOTTER67 MPH148 PM

ROSE ISLAND RIMESONET67 MPH320 PM

QUONSET POINT RINOS PORTS63 MPH400 PM QPTR1

BOSTON MAKBOS62 MPH416 PM

DUXBURY MAMESONET62 MPH520 PM

JAMESTOWN RINOS PORTS 62 MPH254 PM PTCR1

FAIRHAVEN MAAMATEUR RADIO62 MPH126 PM

FALMOUTHAWOS62 MPH415 PM

WAKEFIELD MAAMATEUR RADIO 62 MPH341 PM

WINDSOR LOCKS CTKBDL62 MPH708 PM

BARRINGTON RIAMATEUR RADIO 61 MPH1239 PM

HYANNIS MAKHYA61 MPH339 PM

LAWRENCE MAKLWM61 MPH226 PM

NEW BEDFORD MA KEWB61 MPH 420 PM

WORCESTER MAKORH61 MPH531 PM

RANDOLPH MASPOTTER60 MPHUNKNOWN

NANTUCKET MAKACK60 MPH241 PM

PEPPERELL MASPOTTER60 MPHUNKNOWN

BEVERLY MAKBVY59 MPH600 PM

NEWPORT RIKUUU59 MPH113 PM

WARWICK RIKPVD59 MPH451 PM

BURLINGTON CTSPOTTER58 MPH422 PM

HARWICH MAAMATEUR RADIO 56 MPH1010 AM

PLYMOUTH MAKPYM56 MPH414 PM

BRIDGEWATER MAPUBLIC55 MPH134 PM

MANCHESTER NHKMHT55 MPH 822 PM

HARTFORD CT KHFD54 MPH634 PM

NORWOOD MAKOWD54 MPH530 PM

SOUTHBRIDGE MASPOTTER54 MPH315 PM

CHICOPEE MAKCEF53 MPH447 PM

JAFFREY NHKAFN53 MPH455 PM

WILLIMANTIC CTKIJD53 MPH615 PM

CHATHAM MA KCQX52 MPH 451 PM

WESTFIELD MAKBAF51 MPH255 PM

TAUNTON MAKTAN47 MPH350 PM

SMITHFIELD RIKSFZ45 MPH415 PM

ORANGE MAKORE43 MPH543 PM

HIGHEST SUSTAINED WINDS LAND SITES OCT. 29 2012

POINT JUDITH RI MESONET65 MPH235 PM 18 M ELEV

WESTERLY RICITIZENSWXOBS64 MPH244 PM

WEST ISLAND MAMESONET59 MPH335 PM

PLEASURE BAY MA MESONET58 MPH235 PM

REVERE BEACH MA MESONET54 MPH345 PM

CHILDREN/S ISLAND MAMESONET54 MPH300 PM

KALMUS-HYANNIS MAMESONET53 MPH325 PM

DUXBURY MAMESONET51 MPH520 PM

SCITUATE MAMESONET50 MPH425 PM

SAGAMORE BEACH MAMESONET49 MPH225 PM

EAST FALMOUTH MASPOTTER48 MPH200 PM

BLUE HILL - MILTON MAKMQE48 MPH522 PM

BURRILLVILLE RI PUBLIC48 MPH216 PM

BOSTON MAKBOS46 MPH814 PM

BEDFORD MAKBED45 MPH555 PM

PLYMOUTH MAPUBLIC45 MPH914 AM

VINEYARD HAVEN MAKMVY45 MPH109 PM

ROSE ISLAND RIMESONET44 MPH315 PM

NANTUCKET MAKACK43 MPH417 PM

NEW BEDFORD MAKEWB 43 MPH421 PM

BLOCK ISLAND RI MESONET42 MPH1019 AM JETTY

WARWICK RI KPVD41 MPH450 PM

BEVERLY MAKBVY40 MPH942 PM

PLUM ISLAND MAMESONET40 MPH320 PM

WINDSOR LOCKS CTKBDL40 MPH708 PM

WORCESTER MAKORH40 MPH631 PM

JAMESTOWN RIMESONET39 MPH230 PMBEAVERTAIL

CHATHAM MAKCQX38 MPH305 PM

MANCHESTER NHKMHT38 MPH822 PM

WILLIMANTIC CTKIJD38 MPH1247 PM

HIGHEST SUSTAINED WINDS WATER SITES OCT. 29 2012

CONIMICUT POINT RI NOS PORTS53 MPH548 PM CPTR1

QUONSET POINT RINOS PORTS49 MPH442 PM QPTR1

BUOY 44020 NANTUCKET SOUND 47 MPH350 PM

BUOY 44013 16 NM E OF BOSTON45 MPH250 PM

JAMESTOWN RINOS PORTS44 MPH212 PM PTCR1

BUOY 44029 MASS. BAY/STELLWAGEN 43 MPH304 PM

FOX POINT-PROVIDENCE RI NOS PORTS39 MPH430 PM FOXR1

HIGHEST SIGNIFICANT WAVE HEIGHTS

BUOY 44008 54 NM SE OF NANTUCKET36 FEET500 PM

BUOY 44097 BLOCK ISLAND RI31 FEET 600 PM

BUOY 44029 MASS. BAY/STELLWAGEN 23.3 FEET300 PM

BUOY 44013 16 NM E OF BOSTON23 FEET900 PM

BUOY 44020 NANTUCKET SOUND10.3 FEET 300 PM

$$

FIELD

Hate to tell them but this blew away Hurricane Bob in SRI just blew it away, and it was Cat 2/3 surge damage not 1, more similar to Carol than any other.

THIS

THE RHODE ISLAND SOUTH COAST..

Today renewed my hope that this country will be just fine. The outpouring of love and support and community not only here in Fairfield but from the entire area for the beach area is amazing. Finally being able to get down to the actual beach, the damage far surpassed anything I ever imagined. An incredible day, and time to look ahead! Operation hope is taking food donations for those that still do not have power or gas and need hot meals and have paired up with the town of Fairfield and the Red cross.

Hate to tell them but this blew away Hurricane Bob in SRI just blew it away, and it was Cat 2/3 surge damage not 1, more similar to Carol than any other.

THIS

THE RHODE ISLAND SOUTH COAST..

Yeah I think impact blew Bob out of the water in S RI... particularly in Westerly (not sure about Narragansett).

The storm surge was 5 feet which is typical for a cat 1 in S RI. But the damage was much more severe given the monstrous IKE which fueled huge waves with really significant damage potential.

How did the Mystic area make out? Havent paid much attention to what Sandy did that far east in the sound.

Pretty good. Not a ton of issues from New London through Stonington in terms of surge but there was quite a bit of wind damage.

The surge issues seemed to start in Old Lyme and get worse the farther west you went.

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/267261-schumer-presses-weather-agency-to-keep-sandy-a-storm

At least in CT "hurricane deductibles" don't apply because there was no warning issued. Apparently in New York the NHC's classification of the storm at landfall will determine whether or not hurricane deductibles will apply.

One thing I will say is that it seems to me the vast majority of insured losses will be from flooding... and not wind... making the whole issue moot.

Mystic had some flooding of the downtown district but not much. Stonington got hit much harder with flooding. At one time the borough was isolated. Not sure on the Misquamicut numbers, Charleston also took a big hit. Bob traveled up Narragansett Bay to the east of the Sandy damaged areas in RI. There was barely any overwash during Bob no comparison. The report is underwhelming for what I have witnessed.

http://thehill.com/b...p-sandy-a-storm

At least in CT "hurricane deductibles" don't apply because there was no warning issued. Apparently in New York the NHC's classification of the storm at landfall will determine whether or not hurricane deductibles will apply.

One thing I will say is that it seems to me the vast majority of insured losses will be from flooding... and not wind... making the whole issue moot.

**** thats for real!!!!! I hope they can take the insurance companies to court and get their money!

I am wondering if NHC had any idea about this when they declassified it! I'm sure they would have kept it a hurricane even if it wasn't.

Mystic had some flooding of the downtown district but not much. Stonington got hit much harder with flooding. At one time the borough was isolated. Not sure on the Misquamicut numbers, Charleston also took a big hit. Bob traveled up Narragansett Bay to the east of the Sandy damaged areas in RI. There was barely any overwash during Bob no comparison. The report is underwhelming for what I have witnessed.

I grew up on Chatlestown beach every summer at my cousins house, very sad to see the pictures on Ctown PD facebook of what Sandy did there

I really think if someone wants to drop the hammer on the lack of hurricane warnings they really could. The more I think about it the worse it seems.

A lot of unanswered questions. Including where Bloomberg was getting his information and the breakdown in communication. For a forecast from the NWS local offices that was so spot on clearly there were huge problems getting the message out to the people who needed it. Not sure where the blame lies... people, government, media, NWS or all 4.

I'm guessing is the coverage and preparedness would have been different if the NHC had hurricane warnings out and was forecasting a strengthening strong cat 1... borderline cat 2... making landfall just south of NYC.

What's ironic is the NHC used the Irene SA to justify not issuing warnings and then the SA that would look at their decision is not happening lol.

A lot of unanswered questions. Including where Bloomberg was getting his information and the breakdown in communication. For a forecast from the NWS local offices that was so spot on clearly there were huge problems getting the message out to the people who needed it. Not sure where the blame lies... people, government, media, NWS or all 4.

I'm guessing is the coverage and preparedness would have been different if the NHC had hurricane warnings out and was forecasting a strengthening strong cat 1... borderline cat 2... making landfall just south of NYC.

What's ironic is the NHC used the Irene SA to justify not issuing warnings and then the SA that would look at their decision is not happening lol.

Yeah that's what seems weird to me. I think the pressure was put on the NWS offices and they did a hell of a job getting out the impacts.I almost feel bad for the extra pressure on the WFO. And they want to budget cut?

Yeah that's what seems weird to me. I think the pressure was put on the NWS offices and they did a hell of a job getting out the impacts.I almost feel bad for the extra pressure on the WFO. And they want to budget cut?

Yeah I could not have been any more happy with how BOX and OKX did. From a media perspective they were phenomenal with conveying threats in a timely manner and helping us with various things.

It makes our job a lot easier when we're on the same page with the NWS and can rely on one another. It doesn't always work out that way but in this case it did.

On the air I pretty much ignored the NHC decision, called it a hurricane, and never gave any time to why there weren't warnings. All impact based and none of the semantics. Unfortunately, not all media did that, and some got caught up in confusing semantics that made the message quite muddy IMO.

Right there, that's the whole reason we do these service assessments really. We (mostly) don't forecast for fun, we do it to get the message to the right people. If there was a breakdown in communication then we absolutely should have service assessment of some kind.

I think the reasoning for the lack of a "hurricane" Sandy sounded great to the meteorological community in theory, but did the general public and first responders understand it at all? Did we get too cute and assume it was going to go extra-tropical, thereby not issuing tropical headlines only to take them down later, only to have Sandy thread the needle and stay warm core?

Archived