12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Cane Sandy Obs-New England

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right. In nassau county there is no gas anywhere, no power in most places, 77%, i repeat, 77% of a county of 2 million has no power! Not to mention that the water treatment plant serving 40% of the county has failed. http://www.longislan...-plant-failure/

Its a disaster here. Also, cell phone service is spotty at best. most calls arent going through in large portions of the island.

That is a sewage treatment plant, not water treatment though

Great writeup--interesting that the tides are that much different b/w here and NYC/NJ.

-

Fairfield beach is decimated--can't imagine what another 4-5 feet would have done. Also the wind damage here intense as well--every other yard has a tree down or a large piece of a tree down...Tree guys will be busy for months. Many oaks down which makes sense since many still had close to full foliation.

There's a gas crisis developing as everyone runs out due to generators. The police have to handle the lines at the one working station in the area.

I can relate to that. It happened in north central Connecticut last October. Cops at gas stations. You begin to wonder what would happen if the problem was on a global scale what it would take to survive. In fact, this situation may be as close of a proxy as possible since, while not global, it's such a large area.

Fantastic write up Ryan! I was trying to explain to my neighbors how lucky we were even thought there is so much damage, how the surge would have come clear into town, its so flat here as you know and we face due east making this area so vulnerable to surge and wave action. Great job and something I will share with family friends and neighbors.

Was it Fairfield area or Stamford that had max surge? I figured yes since they are in the far end of the sound, but didn't know if some other town was able to locally funnel in the water.

Stamford had the peak surge from what I could tell. Bridgeport/New Haven were around 8 feet while Stamford reached an incredible 11.25 ft of surge. New London was 6 ft.

Stamford had the peak surge from what I could tell. Bridgeport/New Haven were around 8 feet while Stamford reached an incredible 11.25 ft of surge. New London was 6 ft.

That's unbelievable. Jeez, and so close to a complete catastrophe with high tides luckily occurring after peak surge.

I drove along one of the beach roads here in town today...nothing like the western part of the state. Houses are still standing...although I wouldn't be surprised if there was some structural issues for some of them. Good but of debris...displaced storage sheds for instance littered about. What was interesting to me was seeing piles of sand along the road and at the end of driveways as if it had snowed. Some yards covered in a foot of sand. Another 2 feet of surge may have been enough to get parts of route 1 underwater.

45% with power in town. Thinking we may have a few more days...good number of wires down just down the road.

NWS posted a graphic on FB yesterday which showed an 85mph peak gust just down the road in Madison, can anyone confirm? Had OKX put out a PNS/summary of peak gusts yet?

The Cat 3 hurricane of 1821 which rode up through Cape May and into Brooklyn had a 13ft surge at the battery, slightly less than Sandy. Surge off the NJ coast was near 29ft however.

Keep in mind Sandy had a pressure in the low 940s mb at landfall. That's a typical pressure for a strong cat 3 storm. When you take into account the transition to hybrid/sub tropical and mixing of winds to the surface, I'd say Sandy was virtually the worst case.

The Cat 3 hurricane of 1821 which rode up through Cape May and into Brooklyn had a 13ft surge at the battery, slightly less than Sandy. Surge off the NJ coast was near 29ft however.

Keep in mind Sandy had a pressure in the low 940s mb at landfall. That's a typical pressure for a strong cat 3 storm. When you take into account the transition to hybrid/sub tropical and mixing of winds to the surface, I'd say Sandy was virtually the worst case.

In terms of weather, yeah it would be incredibly rare to get something significantly worse than Sandy, like Sandy was probably 1 in 100 year event for the nj/nyc/ct region as a whole in terms of surge, but the tides could have been worse. If it coincided with high tide the water would have been 3+ feet higher.

In terms of weather, yeah it would be incredibly rare to get something significantly worse than Sandy, like Sandy was probably 1 in 100 year event for the nj/nyc/ct region as a whole in terms of surge, but the tides could have been worse. If it coincided with high tide the water would have been 3+ feet higher.

It did coincide with high tide...

Please move or delete if this is the wrong place for this:

Sandy Relief Complimentary Rooms: Our New England family owned and operated resort is reaching out to East Coasters in need, with open arms and complimentary resort rooms. For those looking for a break from Hurricane Sandy, we are offering up to seven complimentary nights now through November 20, 2012. The offer is intended for those in the federally declared disaster areas and only applies to new reservations. Space available. For reservations call 1.800.253.2232.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/#!/Stoweflake

Please move or delete if this is the wrong place for this:

Sandy Relief Complimentary Rooms: Our New England family owned and operated resort is reaching out to East Coasters in need, with open arms and complimentary resort rooms. For those looking for a break from Hurricane Sandy, we are offering up to seven complimentary nights now through November 20, 2012. The offer is intended for those in the federally declared disaster areas and only applies to new reservations. Space available. For reservations call 1.800.253.2232.

Source: https://www.facebook...m/#!/Stoweflake

This is awesome, thank you. I will pass this along

Archived