12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Cane Sandy Obs-New England

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was worst case overall imo. A big surge in nyc/nj is going to have more impact than a big surge in ct.

In terms of surge in NYC I do agree this is close to a worst case scenario.

That said... a 1938 type storm that produces a similar surge in NYC... plus widespread and destructive wind gusts in excess of 100 knots would be unimaginable. Also... the truly catastrophic surge would be spread out from ACY to CHH in a 1938 storm... so it would have been more widespread.

I wonder when NHC reviews the storm down the road whether it will be reclassified a hurricane at Landfall. (as they often do with other storms--I think Andrew was upgraded to a Cat 5 after the fact right?)

I wouldn't be surprised if it goes down as NJ-1 and then as a TS for CT, DE and NY.

BrianLaverty check out the video in the pic thread, they show the destroyed Paddys, not busting you but I grew up there. The video is amazing, wow.

It really is amazing... especially seeing it first hand. Complete destruction from a storm that made landfall in NJ. Obviously people who live there had to know that this was always a legit possibility... but wow. The flooding was ridiculous... I almost tried to sneak over there during the storm.. glad I went to Scarborough instead because I'm not sure I would have been able to get out.

What building was destroyed? The Little Mermaid? I know Paddy's did end up having horrible damage on the side to the beach.

I'm happy that my favorite restaurant in South County, George's, did not have any damage and is actually reopening today. Pretty amazing.

Its absolutely devastating. Still waiting to hear from my sister in Queens. No phone service/no electricity I guess.

Have you heard from her yet?

My sister lives in Long Island City and she said NYC is a complete mess right now. The looting going on is ridiculous and somebody just got stabbed a block from where she lives at the gas station. Sad.

The Westerly Sun

The scene at the far western end of Atlantic Avenue was shocking. The road is covered in 3½ feet of rocks and sand. Seemingly sturdy oceanside houses are ripped open. Some appeared empty of most of their furnishings. Sand and large rocks filled the first level bedroom of one house. The floor of another house was washed away, exposing the living room couch, wall hangings, and a photo frame reading, “Grandpa.” A 12-inch-thick, 25-foot-long concrete slab appeared to have been tossed into the back of one house. Carved into the concrete are the names, “Priscilla, Natasha, Victoria, and Cecilia.” The front door of one house was blocked with so much sand and so many rocks that only about three feet of the top of the door is in view.

I just drove to Veterans Park and cut into the beach area. Its gut wrenching, peoples belongings scattered all over the place, families just getting back today and emptying there life onto sand and gravel mixed with telephone polls and raw sewage. There are hundreds of homes that were under serious surge water, lots of houses, a community affected. The bigger homes were on the beach front and barrier island to the east..........there are tons of beach cottages and capes that are intermingled with bigger newer homes.

I saw telephone poles as far back as the third block washed up onto yards.......garages, fences leveled.......massive maples down. Two blocks from the beach was as far as I could get, so I did not even see anything close to what is going to be the worst damage. The new pavilion sustained heavy damage and there are several homes that are simply gone, some off there foundation floating in the south pine creek.

I did not take pictures, out of respect to peoples belongings, early next week if I can walk down to the hardest hit beachfront area I will. I really hope this coastal never happens next week, these communties have no protection from the sound left.

Absolutely heart breaking scenes.

I just drove to Veterans Park and cut into the beach area. Its gut wrenching, peoples belongings scattered all over the place, families just getting back today and emptying there life onto sand and gravel mixed with telephone polls and raw sewage. There are hundreds of homes that were under serious surge water, lots of houses, a community affected. The bigger homes were on the beach front and barrier island to the east..........there are tons of beach cottages and capes that are intermingled with bigger newer homes.

I saw telephone poles as far back as the third block washed up onto yards.......garages, fences leveled.......massive maples down. Two blocks from the beach was as far as I could get, so I did not even see anything close to what is going to be the worst damage. The new pavilion sustained heavy damage and there are several homes that are simply gone, some off there foundation floating in the south pine creek.

I did not take pictures, out of respect to peoples belongings, early next week if I can walk down to the hardest hit beachfront area I will. I really hope this coastal never happens next week, these communties have no protection from the sound left.

Thanks for the update. I hope they can repair the pavilion. It's pretty badly undermined though. How deep do you estimate the water was were you were?

From the Fairfield PD:

"Currently 672 structures have been examined around the beach area with 500 sustaining minimum damage, 87 sustaining moderate damage, 64 sustaining severe damage, 26 condemned (that number will rise)."

From the Fairfield PD:

"Currently 672 structures have been examined around the beach area with 500 sustaining minimum damage, 87 sustaining moderate damage, 64 sustaining severe damage, 26 condemned (that number will rise)."

Ryan I just saw your nbc 30 truck at veterans park, are you down there?

Sultan, have you been down to Misquamicut at all?

Has anyone heard how the Watch Hill area is doing? I havent heard a thing about it and I thought it would take the worst beating.

Police checkpoints were at Matunack earlier in the week... my see if I can get there this weekend. Can't believe Ocean Mist didn't get any damage.... They were very lucky.

Not me... I'm off today. Back in tomorrow.

I was on Pine Creek Ave on Wednesday across from the western tip of Farifield Beach Rd where the homes were washed away.

Ok, was going to run by and say hi, I am sure you drove past Dairy Queen on the way down to south pine creek ave, I live across the street at the end of the road lol. Obviously compared to NYC LI and NJ this event is on a much smaller scale, but it does not diminish the impact. I have to say the National Guard has really been incredible. This community is now vulnerable to minor coastal flooding and overwash, apparently Fairfield Beach road which is still closed is a war zone.

Just terrible, Joe...

Ok, was going to run by and say hi, I am sure you drove past Dairy Queen on the way down to south pine creek ave, I live across the street at the end of the road lol. Obviously compared to NYC LI and NJ this event is on a much smaller scale, but it does not diminish the impact. I have to say the National Guard has really been incredible. This community is now vulnerable to minor coastal flooding and overwash, apparently Fairfield Beach road which is still closed is a war zone.

Did the marshes survive? They can play a vital role in storms

Yes, they are protected by a serious of locks, the marshes did overflow up to Old Field Avenue or just short.

Had Sandy arrived 3 hours later most of the homes on Fairfield Beach Rd would be gone and the berm that keeps back Pine Creek would have been overtopped. Most of the homes behind it would have serious damage.

Had Sandy arrived 3 hours later most of the homes on Fairfield Beach Rd would be gone and the berm that keeps back Pine Creek would have been overtopped. Most of the homes behind it would have serious damage.

Thats a beautiful spot, there are trails back there on top of the berm and other higher spots that wind through the marsh and wetlands, our friends said that further east down Fairfield Beach the seawalls and dunes were wiped out, need to see it with my own eyes before confirming but have no reason not to believe them. That area on the western tip was and is a nightmare waiting to happen, the fact that there was so much surge that almost reached Old Field rd to the east in back of Jennings was a shock to me, I think you had a crew there on Monday morning just as the surge was coming into the st marys by the sea area, and Ash creek

Archived