• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Cane Sandy Obs-New England

Damage In Tolland

I missed out on Irene...but the people I've talked to all agree that Sandy was not nearly as bad here on the coast with respect to tree damage. I just don't know if you can make an apples to apples comparison with outage numbers with this event to Irene or the October snow. And I certainly wouldn't credit any improvement to tree trimming...at least not in my town. All that said...I think the crews are doing a good job all things considered, and I don't doubt there's been some improvement since last years storms. I just think its hard to assess simply by playing a numbers game with outage figures.

We're still out FWIW. Down to just 7% in town...starting to think our street may be the last ones. I can see a working streetlight just two houses down and seems most of the main road to which our street connects is restored. Bit of a bummer, but reminding myself it could be way worse.

What I've noticed is that the tree damage within a mile or two of the Sound is on par with Irene but once you get a bit inland from there Irene was more impressive. For example the Guilford Green looks much worse now than it did after Irene with 6 huge and healthy trees uprooted. But at my parents house... about 3 or 4 miles inland the damage during Irene was worse.

Also with Sandy I noticed some structural damage that I didn't see after Irene.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can tell by the amount of pines and firs that came down. Anything with weight at the top

Along the shoreline there were a lot more leaves of trees too.

So surprised I didn't lose any of my 80' Spruce trees. I've never seen them bend so much in the gusts. Way more than in Irene. One of my Norway maples that was still 60% green lost a few big limbs. Glad the oaks changed early this year.

after 6 day's 41000 meters are still out, roughly 125000 folks. Falling behind Irene restoration

Looks to me like ~80,000 were without power after Irene on day 6 while Sandy is ~40,000. How is that falling behind?

Not to mention the fact the worst of Irene was over early on "day 0" while Sandy wasn't until the end of "day 0"

WTNH) --A Middlebury man fell to his death Sunday morning while cutting a pine tree that had fallen in the wake of Hurricane Sandy.

Michael Pranulis, 53, was cutting a tree in his yard on Charcoal Avenue when he became entangled in it and fell over forty feet to the ground.

He died this morning at St. Mary's Hospital after suffering head trauma and multiple fractures.

The tree was being cut as a result of clean up efforts after Hurricane Sandy.

this is just an example!!!! lets just say that each street had two lines down for Irene and one line down with Sandy they would have 2x more work to do with irene so with sandy they should be way ahead of irene..

Looks to me like ~80,000 were without power after Irene on day 6 while Sandy is ~40,000. How is that falling behind?

Not to mention the fact the worst of Irene was over early on "day 0" while Sandy wasn't until the end of "day 0"

Archived