Newest Member
    bowsunski
Cane Sandy Obs-New England

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you heard from her yet?

My sister lives in Long Island City and she said NYC is a complete mess right now. The looting going on is ridiculous and somebody just got stabbed a block from where she lives at the gas station. Sad.

I heard from her last night. Phone service in intermittent but she never lost power during the storm just a few flick off then back on of the lights. She was surprised and all is well. Also hear from brother in Mohegan Lake (near Peekskill) he has no phone, cell or electricity the latter which went out Sunday 2 PM. Weird though that he can still text. Anyway he and the family are well.

My sister also mentioned how the gasoline crisis is really bad people on near empty maybe a station or two with gas limiting it to like 3 gallons/vehicle. No filling up of gasoline cans. Fights breaking out and the like. Can't imagine what my hometown is going through. Saw pictures from the Bronx coastal/bay areas and all I can say is nothing because I can't find the words to describe them.

Had Sandy arrived 3 hours later most of the homes on Fairfield Beach Rd would be gone and the berm that keeps back Pine Creek would have been overtopped. Most of the homes behind it would have serious damage.

Ryan question sorry if u answered before but do you have a link that you can share the images of the tide and surge graph that you posted for Stamford? TY in advance

I have been in South Kingstown(Greenhill) for the duration. I can tell you that the destruction on the beach is very real. The dune structure protecting beachfront homes is destroyed. septic systems exposed and water under houses at typical high tide. On moonstone beach, there was always a spot that allowed some overwash into salt pond behind. There is now a 30-40 yard breach that allows waves to flow into pond. Has to be very deep. No way anyone could possible walk across; looks like it would be difficult to swim across. Just got into Matunuck. The trailer park there is in shambles. Water / waves completely across road. Have not seen but told Charlestown beach homes saw real damage. The power of the surge/ waves was like nothing I have ever seen

I have been in South Kingstown(Greenhill) for the duration. I can tell you that the destruction on the beach is very real. The dune structure protecting beachfront homes is destroyed. septic systems exposed and water under houses at typical high tide. On moonstone beach, there was always a spot that allowed some overwash into salt pond behind. There is now a 30-40 yard breach that allows waves to flow into pond. Has to be very deep. No way anyone could possible walk across; looks like it would be difficult to swim across. Just got into Matunuck. The trailer park there is in shambles. Water / waves completely across road. Have not seen but told Charlestown beach homes saw real damage. The power of the surge/ waves was like nothing I have ever seen

check out the pics thread

NBC30 aired the first selectman of North Stonington (or was it Preston?) CT who said that linesmen from out of state said this was the most disorganized restoration they have ever seen. Yeah, right, we believe you LOL. Meanwhile power is restored to all but 10% of CL&P customers four days after a major storm. Why bother giving any of these small town selectman any air time at all? They are bound to be angry about not getting attention for their 5,000 residents and looking to make a name for themselves.

NBC30 aired the first selectman of North Stonington (or was it Preston?) CT who said that linesmen from out of state said this was the most disorganized restoration they have ever seen. Yeah, right, we believe you LOL. Meanwhile power is restored to all but 10% of CL&P customers four days after a major storm. Why bother giving any of these small town selectman any air time at all? They are bound to be angry about not getting attention for their 5,000 residents and looking to make a name for themselves.

Really?

Look, I believe that CL&P should do what it takes to get as many people back online as soon as they can. If that means they hit the cities and large towns first, then so be it. On the other hand, you come across as believing that folks in Greenwich deserve more electricity than folks in North Stonington. Just sayin.

Why are you being such a myopic person yet call out a selectman whose sole job is to provide services for his constituents. There are spots were it has been disorganized as hell. Random tree damage in land was quickly fixed, now the nitty gritty rebuilds starts. He was frustrated , ca moot call him out because he only represents 5000 people they still are people. And hoe an estimated 333.000 living peopl not meters still have no power in CT.

Really?

Look, I believe that CL&P should do what it takes to get as many people back online as soon as they can. If that means they hit the cities and large towns first, then so be it. On the other hand, you come across as believing that folks in Greenwich deserve more electricity than folks in North Stonington. Just sayin.

We're about 50% out. A city that provides a large tax base that is significantly out. That's a big deal for the state I'd imagine. I don't care that much because I have power myself. I was merely commenting on the first selectmen that think they deserve some special treatment because they are first selectman of a town of like 5,000 people.

We're about 50% out. A city that provides a large tax base that is significantly out. That's a big deal for the state I'd imagine. I don't care that much because I have power myself. I was merely commenting on the first selectmen that think they deserve some special treatment because they are first selectman of a town of like 5,000 people.

I believe that CL&P should do what it takes to get the most people online as quickly as possible. If that means Greenwich gets fixed before some small, insignificant tax base, fine. Seriously. I understand that CL&P is trying to fix big problems before small ones. It makes total sense. In fact, I've been giving people a hard time as they complain that big cities are getting more resources. Somehow that's different than someone from a rich town telling people in small towns to chill out.

Was in Greenwich today, my sisters brothers wedding tomorrow and rehearsal dinner was tonight........the coast did not look bad at all, I was shocked. Having said that, the tree damage in back country Greenwich was impressive.

Most people around here get the fact that Fairfield and other coastal communities were crushed. They are fine with the fact that it just takes time to fix stuff, and they are thankful that they just need to wait for a couple wires to get fixed so they can get on with life, and they are not watching their neighborhood float. I'm concerned for people wondering how many months it will take to rebuild their infrastructure - you guys are facing real devastation. It kills me that people are bit$#%%% about who gets fixed first.

I believe that CL&P should do what it takes to get the most people online as quickly as possible. If that means Greenwich gets fixed before some small, insignificant tax base, fine. Seriously. I understand that CL&P is trying to fix big problems before small ones. It makes total sense. In fact, I've been giving people a hard time as they complain that big cities are getting more resources. Somehow that's different than someone from a rich town telling people in small towns to chill out.

I am amazed at the attitude people are taking with the power situation. Most people seem unable to comprehend the extent of damage a storm like Sandy or October 2011 wreaks on electrical infrastructure....I get that it's mostly a manifestation of the difficulty that comes with no electricity but how bad does the damage actually have to be before people get it takes some time to repair the system?

Glad you guys are ok Joe. My coworker was down in Fairfield and he told me about how bad it was.

Its been a long week, I wont bs you I am exhausted. I have two kids, it was a tough decision to leave........I am glad I did. A short story, my sons daycare lady, her name is Carol. She has lived at Fairfield beach for over 50 years...........never sniffed the sea due to any surge, never thought it was possible. Well when she was told to leave, she and her family did not, on Monday afternoon they went for a walk down towards the beach, I think around 4pm or so, perhaps a little later. They hung out, thought no big deal like the rest of us were thinking, only because the winds during the day Monday were no big deal. She told me by the time she got to her road, they looked back and the surge was coming, it took them less than 5 minutes to run back to there house and the surge was at there doorstep. Candice told me they went inside and sat in there living room watching the water, watching it come up.........she said it was the most helpless and terrifying thing she had ever gone through. Carol and Candice live a good distance from the beach, I would guess a half mile, they live a couple blocks south of 7-11 on Reef Rd. The water had never got there........it did monday evening at low tide, 672 houses at the beach here are damaged, most minor, almost 100 homes moderate damage, houses that are gone, I mean GONE.

When I was at the beach today, and I saw peoples lives scattered in the streets, like it meant nothing it all hit home for me.

So.....I guess what I am trying to say is I am sorry about what I said the other day, it was in poor taste and not who I am, I am sorry.

I am amazed at the attitude people are taking with the power situation. Most people seem unable to comprehend the extent of damage a storm like Sandy or October 2011 wreaks on electrical infrastructure....I get that it's mostly a manifestation of the difficulty that comes with no electricity but how bad does the damage actually have to be before people get it takes some time to repair the system?

Agreed. We've seen some historic events, and there are all sorts of people who believe that they should be taken care of first. Reality is that it takes time.

Agreed. We've seen some historic events, and there are all sorts of people who believe that they should be taken care of first. Reality is that it takes time.

I said a thousand times this week to family and friends............we are LUCKY, why b**ch about trivial things like power when so many have lost so much, when people have no food, no running water, there homes are gone, GONE. It drives me nuts when friends b**ch about not having power and I get it, but at the same time people have to keep things in perspective.

I see these images out of NYC Long Island, and NJ and even here in my own town........and it puts everything into perspective for me. Maybe its because I get NYC television, I cant get away from the sorrow and devastation, and I don't want to. There have been multiple interviews with Red Cross workers and other people that have worked in disaster zones, to a person they all basically say that the total devestation with this storm rivals anything that they have seen. I think its the enormity of the situation, what a large area it covers and how its different from a southern event, the massive population, the urban sprawl.............its overwhelming.

Was in Greenwich today, my sisters brothers wedding tomorrow and rehearsal dinner was tonight........the coast did not look bad at all, I was shocked. Having said that, the tree damage in back country Greenwich was impressive.

Back country always looks worse than it is because it is literally all trees. I think the power companies are doing a great job, and people need to temper their expectations. Most of the state is back on line in under a few days, and all but 2% in less than a week is pretty aggressive. Not sure what's going on in Bridgeport with the egg throwing and what not.

Back in Brookly, CT for the weekend after a week of no power down in Rockland county, NY. As I left yesterday afternoon Nyack was still mostly down for the count as far as power goes. The craziness was passing all of the gas stations with lines and lines of cars waiting. One guy outside of the Lincoln Tunnel was said to have waited 8 hours at different stations during the day - truck driver.

Archived