Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Cane Sandy Obs-New England

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got an awesome report from my life long friend Joe T, he is the security officer for the Historical Watch Hill RI lighthouse. He told me the lighthouse keeper Dan a man who has 45 years of sea experience, and his wife stayed for the storm. They did not want to leave and ended up getting rescued by boat Tues because the road was cutoff. His account relayed to me. When the hurricane maxed out at high tide, 40 foot waves crashed against the lighthouse protective wall. Boulders the size of trucks were thrown like candy up against the wall. He saw the spray from the waves go up and over the Harkness house which sits way up on a hill( that is about 120 feet). Joe reports, Sandy Point off of Napatree point is gone, Napatree the site of the 38 disaster has a breach, the landscape of the world famous East Beach is now a rock beach. I also got reports of rocks again the size of trucks from the Weekapaug Breechway were thrown into the Dunes Parking lot. Anyone who has been there will understand.

Well I never lost power but did lose phone and cable. The winds definitely increased once the temps warmed up. My first walk around 2pm it was cool out and winds were gusting to only 40mph, but when I went for a walk around 4:30pm it was much warmer and windier... probably gusting to 55pmh on occasion. It never got so bad that I felt it was too dangerous to be outside, although the second walk it was close. The sustained winds never were much at all, and the gusts were far between but on occasion it would rip near 55. Some trees down around here but not too bad. Just getting my first glimpse of what happened in other areas and it looks like it was pretty bad for some people.

Windham county CT fire units currently assembling for deployment to other areas in the state

At the request of the state EOC we organized a task force of 3 engines, 2 heavy rescues, 1 marine unit and an ambulance and departed @ 04:00 for Westport (I was a TF leader), we were eventually put to work in the northern part of town checking for hazards (trees on buildings, wires etc) and making contact with isolated residents. The amount of damage was amazing and overall everyone we encountered was glad to see us, we were glad to be able to do our small part.

At the request of the state EOC we organized a task force of 3 engines, 2 heavy rescues, 1 marine unit and an ambulance and departed @ 04:00 for Westport (I was a TF leader), we were eventually put to work in the northern part of town checking for hazards (trees on buildings, wires etc) and making contact with isolated residents. The amount of damage was amazing and overall everyone we encountered was glad to see us, we were glad to be able to do our small part.

honorable men and women like you make us proud, thank you

Thank you! The response has been amazing...I urge people to give blood and give food or whatever they can. We are trying to do our part by giving neighbors firewood and letting people use our shower since we are blessed with s gas hot water heater.

What's funnier, not have any tropical warnings from a 946 low with 500mb temps above 0C and a 11' storm surge? Or hurricane warnings to Hull from Earl?

The thing is I stopped trying to even explain the NHC hurricane warning thing to people after about 3 failed attempts.

"We just didn't think it would be so bad" is the response I've gotten from my friends in the Ct/NY area.

Really? Despite lack of hurricane warnings there were dire predictions a week out. C'mon folks.

The thing is I stopped trying to even explain the NHC hurricane warning thing to people after about 3 failed attempts.

"We just didn't think it would be so bad" is the response I've gotten from my friends in the Ct/NY area.

Really? Despite lack of hurricane warnings there were dire predictions a week out. C'mon folks.

I'm not going to get involved, other than that I don't think it was handled in the best way. I thought about how funny this comparison was. Luckily the NWS will not have to have its hands tied with unreasonable warnings too far north as we had with Earl.

What's funnier, not have any tropical warnings from a 946 low with 500mb temps above 0C and a 11' storm surge? Or hurricane warnings to Hull from Earl?

Do the 500mb temps mean it was still tropical?

Just a bizarre situation. I thought the vibe at the conf about that was telling

Lol. Earl... Weather Enthusiasts wet dream

Do the 500mb temps mean it was still tropical?

Just a bizarre situation. I thought the vibe at the conf about that was telling

Lol. Earl... Weather Enthusiasts wet dream

It was a ball of warm air aloft. Usually the mid altitudes are where the warmest temp anomalies are. Above freezing at 500mb this time of year is unheard of, even off the coast of NJ.

I'm not going to get involved, other than that I don't think it was handled in the best way. I thought about how funny this comparison was. Luckily the NWS will not have to have its hands tied with unreasonable warnings too far north as we had with Earl.

Kind of interesting though that they kept recco 3 hourly on station requirements with the storm for like 24 hours up to LF. To help with the lack of what's its "real" strength that they had when Irene was along the NJ/NY coast

Archived