• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

Someone posted a coastal flood map of metro NYC yesterday and it looks like much of the Financial District would be inundated and the South Street Seaport area obviously. Plus large parts of southern Brooklyn and southern Queens. Nevermind the situation in sound facing areas.

How about NYC proper? The mayor seems to be saying they'll be okay but what about flooding in the city proper?

Winds already randomly rattling windows here. What a storm. Hopefully FEMA is ready in jersey, ny

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone posted a coastal flood map of metro NYC yesterday and it looks like much of the Financial District would be inundated and the South Street Seaport area obviously. Plus large parts of southern Brooklyn and southern Queens. Nevermind the situation in sound facing areas.

Can you link that map please? Would be very helpful right now.

The pressure gradiant, a 1030mb +/- building High to the NE and deeping Sandy. Oh-oh

Anybody who is talking downplay at this stage, just doesn't know. No hype needed, the maps portray a million stories. A relentless pounding!

Will be interesting to see where the highest recorded gust will occur? I'm thinking Blue Hills, Nantucket or some S facing community on LI from one of these feeder bands. The highest gust ever recorded here was 57mph during Noel.

Taking this oportunity to wish everyone safety and heed all warnings. Most assured power will be gone for most.

Here's an interesting Idea that may help the interior avoid some awful gusts...BTV was mentioning that after sundown on Monday we could start to see the usual diurnal inversion try to set up in the 1000-1500ft range, causing winds at the surface to slow while a hurricane roars overhead from 1,500-2000ft+.

Now we have deeper, more protected valleys in the big mountain areas, but it may help save some in SNE if you are in a lower elevation but outside the coastal plain.

Here's an interesting Idea that may help the interior avoid some awful gusts...BTV was mentioning that after sundown on Monday we could start to see the usual diurnal inversion try to set up in the 1000-1500ft range, causing winds at the surface to slow while a hurricane roars overhead from 1,500-2000ft+.

Now we have deeper, more protected valleys in the big mountain areas, but it may help save some in SNE if you are in a lower elevation but outside the coastal plain.

biggrin.png

Wow, this could be horrendous. I really hope people heed warning and stay off the streets of Manhattan.

The storm really could be devastating here-the subways, LaGuardia and Kennedy Airports, as well as huge swaths of Brooklyn and Queens are just above sea level and would be inundated. I could see it being worse than Dec 1992 because of the crazy fetch and size of the storm, and the intensity. In Dec 1992 some of the subways flooded and if they do so again, parts of the city would be shut down for weeks. And that's before taking care of any structural damage/tree damage from the winds, which will likely gust here up to 85-90 mph. Already a stiff breeze outside this morning.

I only have a few and sent my wife out yesterday to get some supplies while I did leaves..She came home with 0.0 batteriesaxesmiley.png

Hit the wife's, B.O.B stash? Should be good for some DD's

Stay safe, y'all.. Hard to believe back to back dream come true end of Octobers for Tolland.

This has been a blast to track but it will be even better when the winter prospect talk restarts.

Scooter. Where was Euro Ens cluster? Same as 12z?

Yeah same as 12z, but ensembles don't mean that much so close. Time for deterministic models. I think my central maybe even srn NJ target still looks good. I suppose NYC track could happen, but I wouldn't be shocked at a tick south today.

Yeah same as 12z, but ensembles don't mean that much so close. Time for deterministic models. I think my central maybe even srn NJ target still looks good. I suppose NYC track could happen, but I wouldn't be shocked at a tick south today.

yeah I know and no matter where it goes onshore makes zero difference for us wind wise. I was just curious

Archived