• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

I feel confident in the impact I'm forecasting for the CT shoreline... devastating. Wind and surge worse than Irene. I'm actually pretty confident in that and it's pretty scary stuff.

Inland I'm not as sure. Less rain means roots that aren't saturated plus many trees are in the process of losing their leaves inland (or almost all done in the hills). That should mitigate tree damage. That said, winds will likely be higher than Irene (maybe substantially so) and the duration will be incredibly impressive. So I'm really quite unsure what the final impact will be.

I think that's what the public does not understand is that that this will not be a quick hit. it will be dragged out. the soil is not dry, but average. but should still be wet enough for damage

curr.w.chg3.daily.gif

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah this looks awful for them. Good luck with that. At the conference, the fire chief of East Haven said there are two homes sitting their not tied down waiting to be put onto a foundation. Those people will probably lose a second home.

I'm not even sure why you would think of rebuilding in the same spot, especially along the coast.

The NAM bufkit at BDL looks very solid for a prolonged period of damaging winds with a several hour window of 50+ knot gusts mixing down...will be real interesting if anything above that inversion can transfer down b/c IDK bufkit mixes from above the inversion...unless I'm wrong.

Wasn't Wx4cast saying if we dryslot we will have a better chance of mixing down those winds since you'd have a steeper lapse rate (i.e. closer to dry adiabatic)?

A lot of our trees coming down are either limbs or trees just snapped from the difference of relatively low winds near the surface to the violent gusts at the canopy.

I don't know if it comes into play with the types of winds we're going to get or the tree species around here, but I was thinking back to my experience in Charley and recall very few large trees uprooted. Many were snapped part way or just missing a good % of their branches. you kind of have to look closely to see it in that pic

charley_trees.jpg

Going down weenie memory lane.. I captured some video I took dec 92 waves hitting houses and was watching that too. It's in huge dv format now, will convert and upload eventually.

Dryslot would allow you to mix down, so long as inversion wasn't bad. The GFS keeps the strongest winds actually closer to the center and has been doing that. That rotates into LI sound.

instantweathermaps.com has a lot of CT and the Cape in the 70 mph gust contour on the 00z GFS at hr 51. But, maybe it won't be catastrophic because of lack of soil moisture to weaken roots as Ryan mentioned. Duration of potential for 50 + is concerning though.

Greetings all. Checking in to marvel at the sky over Quincy, Mass. for the past hour or so.

Never have seen such wild cloud & moonlight stuff going on.

Seems there's a pretty intense storm marching our way and, as a broadcaster, am glad that the Mets I work with are keeping everyone up-t0-date.

Thanks for the great work and go out and look at that sky.

It's outrageous.

Does anyone know how, in a situation like this, the NWS decides which color shading to use? It seems a little deceptive in our case seeing as winds are unarguably the bigger issue yet we have the Flood Watch shading over us...not that it really matters THAT much, just wondering they have some sort of order of precedence.

Does anyone know how, in a situation like this, the NWS decides which color shading to use? It seems a little deceptive in our case seeing as winds are unarguably the bigger issue yet we have the Flood Watch shading over us...not that it really matters THAT much, just wondering they have some sort of order of precedence.

The order of precedence is hard-coded in at a national level, so it's not something that forecasters can adjust.

Ultimate landfall location is a touch south from 12z... but through 48 hours it's identical to 12z. Approaches the coast from the E and opposed to ESE.

Also times just about out to high tide for Long Island Sound.

What's the strength of the low when it makes landfall?

0z Euro initializes at 963.6 mb

Last VDM:

URNT12 KNHC 280539

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE AL182012

A. 28/05:05:40Z

B. 31 deg 17 min N

073 deg 55 min W

C. 700 mb 2735 m

D. 44 kt

E. 136 deg 33 nm

F. 221 deg 58 kt

G. 134 deg 67 nm