• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Hurricane Sandy

Ginx snewx

Showers. Patchy dense fog. High near 64. Very windy, with a northeast wind 37 to 42 mph increasing to 43 to 48 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 70 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New precipitation amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.

schweet

My point-and-click

• Monday Night

Rain. The rain could be heavy at times. Low around 52. Very windy, with a east wind 40 to 47 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New precipitation amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible.

Ok.

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think people along the outer banks and east coastal virginia will be suprised tommorrow at the amount of beach erosion and coastal flooding from the duration of the onshore winds and the heavier swell moving in.

Anyone have the 0z EURO snow map on them? All I have is the wunderground free access one. The South-East thread is 100% snow talk, and 0% hurricane talk. Bizarre.

Batten down the hatches??

Track is locking into central NJ landfall and my consensus method now relates more to timing and intensity.

Current result is 945 mb low from 00z to 03z tracking west or 280 deg near or slightly north of 40N, landfall (possibly at 03-06z Tuesday) pressure 948, about 30-50 south of Asbury Park.

I am predicting maximum gusts of around 100 kts or 115 mph in many parts of the region between 40N and 41.5N, trending down to about 80 knots in nc NJ and e PA. Gusts to 70 kts or perhaps higher in NW backing to W flow around ACY, PHL, 60 kts BWI-DCA.

Rainfall estimates 4-8 inches Long Island and NYC, 5-12 inches w CT, 3-6 e CT-RI-MA ... 10-20 se NY north of Yonkers to about Albany and in n/c NJ, s NJ, PHL, , 20-25 nw NJ ne PA sharp gradient to 5 in IPT-SYR and 1-2 in w NY, Toronto.

Snowfalls 15-30 inches parts of w/c PA, w MD, most of WV, noVA to 600' then sleet or rain to sea level.

Expect widespread thunder and lightning in landfall time frame 00z-09z all around NYC.

Winds could gust to 150 mph exposed higher locations including urban >50 storeys.

Very high impact storm damage potential from wind damage and and storm surges, river flooding.

Seems like a 500-1000 year return event as depicted on 00z model suite

FYI--even though I'm getting fringed up here, looking to the east is the "darkest red" dawning. Red sky in the morning........Quite beautiful actually. If I can muster a 65mph gust, I'll be pumped.

Good luck to all you folks further south--particularly those in line for surge/waves. Keep safe! If I ca muster a 65 mph gust, I'll be pumped.

OT--my computer died last night (ugh!!). Worst timing ever. I'll have to try and follow things by "stealing" time on my wife's and on my Kindle.

Look at obs further south. lot of 45-50 gusts from Elizabeth City to NC coast. HSE 4.22" rain through 7 am. Nice band offshore there. At least latest forecast brings in onshore during low tide. maybe that will hold and mitigate things a bit. got a 1-2' surge already in NYC metro though. The water simply has no place to go.

Yeah Im really starting to think the story will be south coast line of New England, the Sound, LI, and NYC...the easterly fetch through that area is ridiculous. The coastal damage will become the top story with this storm.

Best of luck LL.

I think they are screwed, and national news will be there for days because of the surge. We've handled winds like this plenty of times, so that's not the big story. Up here, timing may work out better for us as strongest surge of winds may be low tide.

Archived